Author Topic: HAS ANYONE USED THESE  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: HAS ANYONE USED THESE
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 22:58:11 PM »
I got the impression it was a short term thing to stop the cat, I obviously misread that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 22:47:54 PM »
I think that the problem is that when something is easily avaliable people will abuse it i personally feel that they should only be used on recomendation from a vet ...cats will scratch i now that my sofa is ruined but i dont care ...plus I have boy cats dont want them looking like bleeding poofs with them on !

In all seriousness i do believe that far better alternative than de-clawing a cat but not an answer by any means !
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 20:42:36 PM »
From what i have read, they aren't something you have on them all the time, they are a short term thing.
I get the impression from those who talk of using them that they are pretty much a permanent thing.  Most people who mention them seem to plan on using them indefinitely.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 20:18:00 PM »
I think these do have their uses, especially in America. I would rather someone use these on their cat after all other methods have failed, than declaw their cat. From what i have read, they aren't something you have on them all the time, they are a short term thing. I can also see them being useful for when cats have health issues - I can think of 2 cats on here at the moment who might have benefited - if these were put on their paws, they couldn't do too much damage if they scratched themselves, and might be a lot easier on a cat than a collar. But, in America, they do seem to be used too much, and to stop people having to train their cats.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 19:17:33 PM »
OK, I've never used these, but am interested in what people think are the negatives(and positives) of this product.

Positives - If everything else really has been tried and a cat scratches everything in sight these may be an option but only as a last resort, imo.  They are better than declawing (obviously).  They could also be useful in cases of aggression where other cats or young children might get hurt, or for medical reasons to prevent cats scratching themselves.

Negatives - Although I think cats do get used to wearing them and can retract their claws normally with them on, the scratching action is bound to be impaired as the whole idea of them is to prevent a cat sinking it's claws into anything.  Cats need to scratch and to me that means being able to sink their claws into a scratching post, not just go through the motions attempting to scratch with their claws significantly blunted.  They are used quite a lot in the US and seem to be used as a fashion accessory as much as anything else.  I don't, personally, think a cat with blue claws is cute!

To sum up - I think they have their uses but are too often used as a lazy solution to prevent scratching of furniture and I think that's wrong.  Most cats can be trained to scratch a post even if it sometimes takes a bi of effort to find the right post and the right postion for the post.  Cats come with claws and if you don't like the claws dont get the cat.   I agree that they should only be available from vets where a need has been identified.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 16:59:15 PM »
I agree with Reynard, POM them up for those that scratch!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 16:02:11 PM »
We had a cat come in the cattery wearing these -  after a 2wks stay most of them had come off !

I dont particularly like and would never use them myself but they started off in America and i think they are a better idea then having a cat declawed

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »
When I said 'a bit of fun' I didn't mean the product - I meant the thread as in 'as if people would buy them'!

I'll shut up....................probably for the best
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 10:18:15 AM »
OK, I've never used these, but am interested in what people think are the negatives(and positives) of this product.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 23:13:53 PM »
At the risk of being flamed, I think this is potentially a valuable concept. It's just that I personally think that they should be only available on prescription from a vet. I can see something like this having significant medical benefits, perhaps if a cat has a serious allergy or a skin problem that causes it to shred themselves.

But for casual use just to save the furniture? No way, that's very wrong. I'd rather have the shredded furniture.  
:scratch:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 23:12:13 PM »
oh no not these again!!!! .... will these things never go away?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 22:44:09 PM »
Aww they are fun!!

Although, I don't think I'd buy some. Cats have claws for a reason I guess. It's verging on a tame attempt at declawing. Now that my friends is very wrong indeed. Thats just my opinion!

No fighting! <--- No!!
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 22:33:15 PM »
I am afraid these arenot fun, they are very serious and yes I will delete the thread if it gets nasty  ;D

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 22:11:00 PM »
I thought it was just a bit of fun! I don't really want pink ones for Archie............................he's a boy!

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 22:08:11 PM »
Ok I am watching this, cos its been repeated so many times on CC and a very bad discussion usually..........always comes to blows and tears!

Oh sorry Gill I had never seen or heard of them before............delete the thread if its going to upset anyone please

sorry ladies didnt mean to start a war  :'( :'(

xxxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 22:06:04 PM »
Ok I am watching this, cos its been repeated so many times on CC and a very bad discussion usually..........always comes to blows and tears!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 21:57:32 PM »
Aaarghh!!  Don't get us started on soft paws again!  :evillaugh:

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 21:53:23 PM »
Oh my gosh I want a set of pink ones for Archie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
HAS ANYONE USED THESE
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 21:51:38 PM »
I  thought I had seen everything that you could buy for a cat until I came across these last night

http://www.spuk.com/gallery.asp

How funny are they  :rofl: :rofl:

xxxxxxxx

Link to CatChat