Author Topic: Drinking Water  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
Re: Drinking Water
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 18:02:06 PM »
Ely

Um thanks :rofl:

:-[ oops sorry  :innocent:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 17:02:33 PM »
Yes thats how I found out that Kockas kidneys were going, cos suddenly I saw her drinking in the house and the wter was going down fast.

I know someone or maybe all are drinking in the house cos the water goes down and have seen Ducha occasionally drinking, he always looks so guilty like I have caught him doing something wrong  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 16:59:09 PM »
I always thought that if you noticed your cat drinking then there may be a problem, obviously if the bowl is slap bang in the middle of the living room you would notice him or her drinking but if it's in the kitchen then I don't think it's unusual not to see the cat drinking.

This turned out to be the case with Tiggy, her bowl is in the kitchen and I started to notice her drinking more often whereas before I never really saw her drink (although she must have been as the volume in the bowl decreased!).  I took her to the vets and sure enough she was diagnosed with CRF.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 16:34:52 PM »
If your cats go outside you may not see them drinking in the house cos they are slurping away outside.  ;D However a bowl of water should be left in the house for them

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 15:58:13 PM »
Agreed Ela. My vet once told me that like us if cats don't feel dry then they won't drink. She said because cats came from natural desert environments the instinct is to drink and store water. But domestics have evolved and you have to provide 24/7 water so that they don't follow their instinct and just ignore the fact they are getting dehydrated.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 14:25:47 PM »
Ely

Um thanks :rofl:
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 13:40:52 PM »
Ok Ely  :thanks:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 13:05:43 PM »
I was told that cats don't need a lot of water anyway

I think it is irresponsible to make a statement like that without explaining a reaon for the statement.

f cats are having wet food they are quite possibly having almost as much water as they need, you just have to look at the ingredients then you will realize that in many brands there is 80%+ moisture, although fresh water should be available to the pets 24/7 just on case, however, dried food is very different and usually cats fed on dried food need to drink plenty of  water. Admittedly there is a fine line in being able to judge if your cat is drink enough or too much which would be the sign of kidney problems.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 13:14:42 PM by Ela »

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 12:24:14 PM »
I try and remember to use the Brita filter, but as two of the water bowls are upstairs, they do get tap water most of the time.
Kimberley, I agree with Ela - you should be worried if your cats aren't drinking enough water on dry food, they could be at risk of health issues. Our water here isn't too bad at the moment, but we have had probs with it in the past, and I wouldn't drink it then, so wouldn't expect my cats to!!

Oh  :scared:  I was told that cats don't need a lot of water anyway.  One of my kittens do, the other only has two sips then nothing  :thanks:  I'll get him a health check.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 12:35:40 PM by Kimberley »

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 12:12:32 PM »
Mine don't seem bothered by the differences in tap water up and down the country. They drink local tap water wherever they are and it's never made them poorly and they are happy to drink it. Bilbo's breeder boils tap water and leaves it to go cold and gives that to her cats.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »
I give mine filtered water. I read on a site somewhere that rainwater is best (surely not if you live in a polluted area?) It said that you can leave tap water out in the garden for a couple of days to remove the taint.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 11:52:22 AM »
Our tap water is disgusting if you pour it into aglass it is all cloudy and fizzy ..No way i would let my furbies drink that YEURCH!
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
I try and remember to use the Brita filter, but as two of the water bowls are upstairs, they do get tap water most of the time.
Kimberley, I agree with Ela - you should be worried if your cats aren't drinking enough water on dry food, they could be at risk of health issues. Our water here isn't too bad at the moment, but we have had probs with it in the past, and I wouldn't drink it then, so wouldn't expect my cats to!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 09:43:19 AM »
although one of my kittens hardly drink water even though they have dried food
In that case I would be worried, very worried and perhaps give wet food where it would get most if not all the moisture it needs.

Does it really matter? I mean water is water
Water is different in many parts of the country.  It depends in its source and what a particular water company adds. I can't drink tap water so I don't see why I should expect my little ones to. As it happens the water round her is not to bad we have no lime scale etc and it does not smell of chlorine like it does in some places.  Normal water seems to lay heavy on my stomach. Funnily enough when we go to St Ives in Cornwall I can drink loads of it without feeling ill after.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:59:00 AM by Ela »

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 17:21:26 PM »
Does it really matter? I mean water is water, cats drink from puddles outside.  Giving them bottled water is a waste of money, tap water is fine for them, although one of my kittens hardly drink water even though they have dried food  :innocent:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 14:41:51 PM »
I fill my pets water bowls from the filter tap I have at the side of my sink unit.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 14:41:28 PM »
In Aberdeen they've got a water fountain inside and a big bowl of tap water outside and when they are in Leicester they've got big bowls of tap water. As long as it's water this pair aren't fussy where it has come from.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 14:34:17 PM »
We have a water filter built into the fridge, we all have water from that as we still have lead water pipes! I make sure that the filter gets rid of the lead... They had a water fountain but I've put it away as the pump got clogged up and the replacement one has a 2 pin plug ( :doh:), also the whole thing got really scaly, I probably ought to soak it in bicarb or something...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »
bottled water inside rain water out.....

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 10:33:08 AM »
if I drink it then assume its safe for the cat to drink it.. :)

I use a Brita filter and we all drink the water from that (the human elements make our hot drinks with filtered water too). More economical than bottled...  :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Iluvcritters

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 23:29:07 PM »
Mine would perfer to drink from the sink, LOL but I have a kitty fountain that filters the tap water

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 22:01:33 PM »
I just use normal tap water most of the time, they do get bottled water sometimes and Daisy has been known to drink the flavoured stuff the silly girl  :evillaugh:
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 21:50:37 PM »
Yep, I use a water fountain too but do have normal water in a bowl upstairs in the boys room.  They seem happy to drink either tbh

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 21:18:29 PM »
I have a cat fountain which filters all the water I do give them bottled water if i have spare ...!..
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 20:55:37 PM »
Mine doesn't seem to care one way or another however if I fill the bowls with water from the bathroom taps then she seems to drink more than normal, bottled water she drinks the same amount as normal.

I asked my vet that question and she said that if I drink it then assume its safe for the cat to drink it.. :)

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
Drinking Water
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 20:52:33 PM »
Just wondered whether most of you give your cats tap water ?   I have always done but my OH remarked the other day that he was surprised I did that as they can probably taste chemicals in it.   Of course I know they often prefer to drink from puddles.   Have given them bottled for the last few days - advice would be welcomed.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Link to CatChat