Author Topic: To own or not to own  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
Re: To own or not to own
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 20:35:04 PM »
oooo lots of lovely things!! I dont know if it's my computer but the zooplus link image doesn't seem to be visible (lucky i found it)......

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 20:20:09 PM »
Females cost between £40 and £60 to be spayed on average. Not sure about vaccinations, as it depends if you want them to be vacc'd for FeLV, if they are going to be outdoor cats, vets will recommend the full course. For insurance I would recommend either AXA or PetPlan, AXA do cover more than PetPlan do. I dont think it would be that important to test for FIV (Feline Aids) as this isn't passed from mum to kits very often, so not the thing that springs to mind, but you will need to get them registered at your own vets, so I would ask then.
Please spay your cat

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 19:51:24 PM »
AXA is very very good for pet insurance, as is pet plan (which is slightly more expensive). Can't wait to see pictures.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 19:52:04 PM by Den »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 19:35:44 PM »
Oo forgot to add. The link at the bottom of this page for Zooplus will give Purrs a commission if you buy anything via that link. Zooplus is well known amongs many of us.  Also VetUK (via some of our rescues websites on here) will do the same. They are pretty good for the medicated stuff and general maintenance goods for cats and other pets.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 19:33:42 PM »
The rescue members can confirm this, but vaccinations, neutering/spay, flea treatment, worming for most rescues probably run at a total of around £75 per cat total. It does depend on your vet, so you might want to find out from them how much they charge.

Good luck with this, I'm really pleased two furries have a potential new home  :Luv:

As for blood tests again, that is something you should check with your vet.

CP will give vouchers for spay, and some rescues have a relationship with other organisations that will pay for it but to be fair, most rescues will pay for this whilst the cats are in their care. I am surprised they're homing the cats before a spay though, but is that because of their age that they are too young?

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
Re: To own or not to own - Update!!!
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 19:29:02 PM »
Well as suggested I went round to a rescue centre today to look at kittens and as predicted fell in love with not one but TWO! sets of baby blue eyes - Two sisters in fact. I'm getting home checked tomorrow hopefully so fingers crossed!.

As usual I still have a couple of questions.......

This rescue centre is an independent as although they are vet checked they wont be neutered or be providing vouchers for this in the future, is this expensive? Although I know they have been vaccinated and wormed (not flea treated yet) I don't think anything over the basics have been checked. Is it expensive to get them tested for feline aids? and are there any other things I should be getting checked?

Also I'm now having difficultly with names (found some great boys names but I'm rubbish with girls!) They are both Tabbies except one is very stripy and the other less so with some splodges of ginger in there! so far the only firm name I have is Tallulah. Can anyone think of anything else to go with that?

Also I'm looking at buying some things for the new arrivals can you suggest some good on line sites and some good pet insurance companies?

Thanks Again!!!!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
Good luck, really hope you find a fluffpot that steals your heart  :innocent:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »
One thing i do advise if you can only have one due to space/time/money is to consider an adult cat who has to be an only cat, as they are much harder to rehome. I am glad you have found some rescues near you, the best thing probably is to go and see what they have, do go with an open mind, and you never know what you will fall in love with. Shame your not closer to me, I have two lovely older adults that need to be only cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 08:08:27 AM »
I guess I've learnt that owning two cats doesn't necessarily mean double the trouble. However space is more a problem for me (I'm struggling to find a home for one litter tray let alone two) I guess the compromise is that I get a slightly older cat. I think I'll head down to the rescue centre next week and have a look around (I've found a couple on catchat) Thanks for all your great advice and I'll let you know how I get on!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 18:21:00 PM »
There is also insurance costs - I wouldn't recommend owning an animal without having them insured.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 18:17:52 PM »
Points 1 through 4... have we sold ya yet on 2  :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 18:14:10 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

As everyone else seems to have answered your questions I will just stick my 2p worth in.  As a first time cat owner I would recommend two kittens/cats for a few reasons:

1.  They will be company for each other.

2.  It means you and you partner will have a furbabe each.

3.  If you have 2 you can use them to compare against each other ... eg ... if you are not used to cats it's sometimes hard to tell if your furbabe is unwell ... however if you have 2 it can make it easier to spot if one of them is feeling unwell / doesn't look right / etc (does that make sense?)

4.  2 cats is no more work than 1 really.  You still have to feed, clean litter trays etc for 1 so you might as well have two.  The only thing to consider with two is the extra cost the following link gives an idea of approximate costs involved: http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/costs.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 17:56:21 PM »
We was in the same situation when we got Jet (RIP) we both worked and thought a kitten would be too much for us to handle. We opted for an older Cat, Jet come to us through Desley, estimated between 10-13 years old, she opened our hearts to cats and has left a lasting legacy with us.

Sadly we had to let Jet join our angels in January, she was succeeded by Garfield and Gypsy (Thanks to Desley again) both aged between 2-3 years old.
Neither had been introduced before we adopted them and they now get on fabulously.

Rescue cats are mostly due to no fault of their own it's not uncommon for older cats to be dumped for younger cats, owners die/emigrate, situation changes and with the credit crunch its been a tough year for all rescues as poverty can been the difference between feeding the family or treating a cat at the vets! some rehomed as owners have babies and they beleive the cat will harm the baby or suddenly become allergic, the list goes on!

an older cat is less likely to keep you up all night, or have too much energy(naughtiness) also their personailities have developed you have a better idea of how they will be once they have settled whereas a kitten is still developing - a good freind of mine has a young tom called ferris and he grew up waking her 3am every morning - 18 months on he still does it.

Also a close freind of mine brought a 8 week old kitten from a family whose cat had kittens (you don't really see linage as when a queen calls it can take many mates and unless they're purposely bred you won't see the father) the poor thing was riddled with fleas and worms. 

as others have said if you work long hours a pair of young cats does work well. we love having two they interact with each other, i was concerned that we'd be ignored but we both have special bonds with each of the cats. Garfield is such a mummys boy!  :naughty:

good luck on your search!  :Luv:
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 17:04:06 PM »
Theres a few on Cat Chat. Theres top cat angela looking in your area

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 16:52:59 PM »
They shouldnt mind you looking around and asking lots of questions (and in return you should get questioned and homechecked). If you get to wait in a room while they dart off to bring you one sorry looking cat be suspicous.

The cats should all look clean and healthy, clean pens etc.
The basics they should have is a vet check and parasite treatments tho many do more than this.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 16:48:37 PM »
I live in Cleveleys but I could travel in Wyre & Fylde, Garstang, Blackpool etc

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 16:45:32 PM »
what area are you in, someone on here could probably recommend one

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 16:44:33 PM »
Good advice. I'm glad I asked. Where could I find a list of reputable rescue centres in my area? I've found a pretty local one on cat chat, are there specific 'credentials' I need to look for?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 16:39:15 PM »
I was considering adopting from someone whos cat had had kittens, since i could see them in their environment and at least have some idea of lineage (healthly mother etc).

Im with Den & Ruth on this. Also if the cat has just been had by the local tom shes at risk of diseases from him. Toms roam many miles and fight alot and are at higher risk of contracting fiv and felv  :( So she may not be as healthy as you think.
A responsible rescue (do your homework as they are not all good) will vet check all their cats and often set them up with vaccinations, microchips, flea/worm control and of course neutering.

Most rescues use fosterers to raise kittens so they get to grow up in a home environment  ;D

Kittens are crazy and will cause damage to furniture, curtains etc especially one left alone all day. Idle minds etc!! A young adult cat would still be playful  ;D and you would be matched with one who would be happy to be left alone allday. Some kittens can remain needy as adults and then get themselves into trouble looking for companionship  :(

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 15:01:22 PM »
I know what you mean. I want it to know where mummy and the hand that feeds her is before i let her out teehee!!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 14:59:45 PM »
Also with a rescue you won't be able to let it out straight away. I think it's something like 6 weeks before you can let them out. It's still a lot less time than a kitten which is more like 6 months.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 14:57:17 PM »
Hannikat going from none to two probably sounds daunting but I've got four and only ever see them all together if I go in the garden (they all follow) or feeding time

Ruth is right though, if you go to a rescue they may have one that they think will do better as an only cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 14:53:08 PM »
To be fair Sheryl, some people, like me, only have one cat, and I work outside the home for 10-12 hours. I know that Lexy spends the day sleeping and she enjoys her playtime hours when I get home. She has all the entertainment she needs and she has freedom in the whole house. Sometimes having a cat that prefers to be a single cat (if you are getting an older one) in the house isn't so bad.

Lexy was 3 when I got her and the homing officer was clear. She needs to be an only cat. She's very happy.

It totally depends on the cat, though if you are getting a kitten I would really encourage 2. They are so playful that they can exert their energies on each other. 

Lively kittens need to play so a playmate is the perfect solution.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 14:50:01 PM »
lol I totally agree that leaving a cat in on its own would be cruel thats why I wanna ask all my questions beforehand so i can make an 'informed' decision. I don't have any intention of owning a house cat I want to let it come and go as it pleases, except at night of course (we have a big fields nearby to keep it entertained ;) ) and I know you cant do that with kittens, which is a big problem in my 'plan'.

'Scared' is probably to strong a word I simply mean that as a first time cat owner (slave, devotee) I don't want to be so overwhelmed, and I guess i assumed two would do that  :Crazy:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 14:43:50 PM »
I dont understand why the thought of 2 cats/kittens "scares" you.  It would be totally unfair to leave a kitten or cat on its own for so long every day.  2 keep each other company and it is really amazing watching 2 kittens interact and grow up together.  Please dont think I am being harsh but if you are worrying about you home being disrupted maybe a cat is not the right pet for you?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 14:01:08 PM »
I second that.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 13:55:54 PM »
Thank you all very much for your advice, and quick response!

I dont really want a pedigree to be honest........moggies of the heinz 57 variety have always been more appealing  :briggin: I was considering adopting from someone whos cat had had kittens, since i could see them in their environment and at least have some idea of lineage (healthly mother etc).

I would strongly urge you not to do that. It promotes irresponsible breeding  :( If you want to do that it's best to do pedigree, if you don't want pedigree then get rescue  :sneaky: Definitely don't buy one from an ad in the papers or from the internet.

You have to think what's best for the cat. If you are only having one and you work such long hours its not really fair for the kitten to be on it's own for such a long time. 8-12 months or older certainly sounds the best thing for your situation.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 13:51:25 PM »
An adult cat should also be litter and house trained too, and hopefully know how to use a scratching post if they've come from a home environment before, just another point to consider  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 13:46:31 PM »
Thank you all very much for your advice, and quick response!

I dont really want a pedigree to be honest........moggies of the heinz 57 variety have always been more appealing  :briggin: I was considering adopting from someone whos cat had had kittens, since i could see them in their environment and at least have some idea of lineage (healthly mother etc).

I dont think I could ever consider two, the idea scares me! I think I would consider an older cat (afterall they dont stay kittens forever) perhaps 8-12months (Althgouth partner has heart set on a kitten, big softie). I think perhaps I'll go to a rescue centre soon and have a chat with them.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 13:36:35 PM »
Hiya and  :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

As t'others have already said, well done you for asking all the questions BEFORE you take the plunge!  I think that's a bit reason why so many cats do end up in rescue, not because there's anything wrong with them, but that their humans didn't think things through first and then circumstances changed.  Purrsonally I think I will always adopt a rescue cat, as they deserve a second chance  :Luv:

A furbabe does make a house a home though, so hopefully there will be plenty of advice on here to help you make the decision that works best for you  ;D

Good luck  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 13:30:58 PM »
Welcome on board. I fell into cat ownership so thought maybe I could answer some of your questions ... since I had many of the ones you did.

Firstly I'm always of the opinion that if you work long hours getting very young animals is not a good choice, just because they tend to need more from us humans. Maybe you would consider an older kitten like 6/7 months and up. They only need feeding 2 times a day. Yes younger ones need feeding 3-4 times a day. I vote rescue too ... and a huge number of cats get put into rescue through no fault of their own. A lot of times its because a baby has come along so the cat gets kicked out  :'( Other times its because the owners have emigrated etc etc. Getting a rescue cat doesn't mean it comes with baggage and problems. Lots of kittens end up in rescues too, some are born in rescue, some because they have gone past the cute kitten stage and the novelty has worn off.

If you want a young cat many recommend 2 to keep each other company  :wow: I got to bring mine home when he was 7ish weeks old he's now 10 months. I've not had any trouble with furniture scratching, I am having a carpet issue at the moment  :tired: (read the behaviour section and you'll find out why) on the whole he hasn't done any damage whatsoever. Luckily people on Purrs are very knowledgeable and all you have to do is ask and they will try to help out. If you catch them scratching just make a funny noise to get their attention then bring them to the scratching pole .. they tend to get the message quickly.

Ruth beat me too it  :evillaugh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 13:27:52 PM »
Hi Hannikat and  :welcome:

I'm really pleased you are asking all these questions before you get a cat.

What I would say about rescues: they are not in rescue because there is something wrong with them... the majority who are in rescues are there because of human failings and through no fault of their own. They are as much in need of a good home as a pedigree.

THe only difference in my opinion between a pedigree and a rescue moggy is looks and a known bloodline. (again my opinion), and of course you're buying a pedigree rather than offering a good donation to a rescue. We have some wonderful members here who breed wonderful bengals and NFCs, and even they will tell you that taking on a pedigree is as much a responsibility as a rescue cat.

If you are keen on kittens then why not get 2? They will keep each other company during the day and provided you leave lots of toys for them to play with you will find they will sort themselves out well.

You might however wish to consider a pair of older cats. Rescues often have cats that come from the same household who should not be separated. In fact, the most devestating circumstance is older cats, often a pair or three, come into rescue because their human has passed away or can no longer look after them due to age. They are unsettled, and all they want generally is a good home where they can curl up on a lap and get a cuddle. Separating cats from the same household especially if they are very bonded is heartbreaking.

You have so many circumstances.

As for funiture and cat posts, if you train them early that should not be a problem, however, cats are cats and accidents happen. If they are stressed or have not been socialised properly then they might react by doing things that we as humans find strange, like scratching carpets and furniture. As a cat person, I was a little hesitant myself with my leather furniture. It has scratches now (by accident) but if I freak out about it its my problem, not the cat's. If I was very worried about it it might have reconsidered having a cat.

You have to take the bad with the good and sometimes furniture is going to get marked, problems that are stress or illness relate will arise, but you have to take it in your stride and remember the cat is doing what is instinctive to let you know there is either a problem or that they made a mistake.

Cats are pretty resilient but should not be treated as if they DON'T have fragile bones. Most cats will be fine on the landing but of coruse do keep an eye out on high spots they can easily fall and injure themselves. I often still look at mine and wonder how she doesn't hurt herself with how she jumps from place to place.

As for kittens feeding, it depends on their age, I would encourage you if you are getting kittens to get them when they are 13 weeks old or older if you can, where they have been weaned properly from their mum. Sometimes you don't have the choice on the age, but you should question any one rescue or breeder (if you go the pedigree route) who wishes to let you have the kittens before at the earliest 8 weeks. Reputable breeders will only release kittens once they are 12 or 13 weeks old some later.

Its a great decision you are making, but a very responsible one. THey become part of your family and have to be treated like they are. I think you'll find on this forum everyone feels their cats are their families so you will fit in just fine.

Hope I've at least started to answer some of your questions.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 13:31:32 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
To own or not to own
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 13:13:24 PM »
Hi All!

I've been registered on this forum for a while now doing some much needed 'research' (looking at all your cuties) when I thought it was about time I say hi! I'm Hannikat and I'm 23 and from Blackpool. Before you ask for pictures I kdon't own a kitty....not yet anyway! I'm still undecided.

I've always wanted a cat from a young age but was never allowed one (space issues). I have recently bought a house so the decision is now all mine. I'm having difficulty getting my head around a few things so I thought I'd ask you guys as you all seem to have a wealth of experience.

I want to adopt a kitten but both me and my parter work from 7.30 - 6.00. I've read that kittens need feeding 3 times a day (others say only twice) does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative?

I am planning to book a week kitten-maturity leave when the little bundle first arrives to help it settle in. Any advice on how I can use that one week wisely?

I'm planning on making a home for the kitten in the hallway / landing (more space to run than in the kitchen and much warmer - will keep the food in the kitchen though) but I'm worried about her falling off the landing. Do kittens generally have an understanding of heights or is this something I need to teach her.

Rescue or not? - Some of my family have had bad experiences with rescue kittens. Mostly with them running away and being generally wild. My partner is also against a rescue cat at he says there must be a reason people have taken them there in the first place (which i dont agree with but it's a concern). Is there anything I should look for, or ask the rescue centre on this?

Last question I promise!...for now anyway! The main consern for me is that I've just got my new house as I want it and I'm terrified that my bundle of joy it going to rip up my coach and scratch all my furniture. Can you give me some advice on how i can nip this in the bud early and get her to use a scratching post instead?

Thanks for your time and hopefully advice!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 13:13:49 PM by Hannikat »

Link to CatChat