Author Topic: Do most vets treat wild birds and animals without charge ?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Do most vets treat wild birds and animals without charge ?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:33:21 AM »
Yes I think it is the norm.  When we first got Dragan who was feral aged 4 weeks and ill our vet treated him for nothing because he was "wild" even though my daughter said we would probably keep him.  I also had a vet come out on an emergency call for a sparrow who had flown into a windscreen and pushed its beak inside its mouth.  He didn't charge saying that if we could be bothered to pick up the bird and phone etc then he could be bothered treating it in emergency hours for free.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 23:22:11 PM »
Yes I had to take a wild bird to be pts last year because of Harry.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 22:46:32 PM »
Yes I heard about that - but I also heard one of our local vets automatically PTS regardless  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 21:52:52 PM »
Yes thats the norm  ;D

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
Do most vets treat wild birds and animals without charge ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 21:33:04 PM »
Sadly Gizmo caught a beautiful greenfinch today - at first he didn't appear too badly hurt.   I didn't think vets treated wild birds but I phoned ours to see if they could recommend a rescue.   They asked us to bring him in and unfortunately there was internal bleeding and he was having trouble breathing and had to be pts.   I was expecting to pay and absolutely fine with that but they said, no, treatment for wild animals was free.    I have been so impressed with their care since switching vets and was just wondering if this is the norm ?
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Link to CatChat