Author Topic: Problem with Magsy Moo's ears  (Read 1499 times)

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
Re: Problem with Magsy Moo's ears
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 14:07:04 PM »
Any update on this, my boys crusts behind his ears have now gone after I had him wear the lampshade collar for about 5 days but one ear flap is still scratched looking and a bit icky, he just gets in such a state going to the vet that I hoped it was just an allergy to the suncream I put all over his ears and he would get better in time.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 20:21:59 PM »
Dinah gets scabby behind her ears from a mystery allergy...but it could be any number of things!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »
I know with harvest mites keeping them indoors doesnt stop them suffering so i assume they could be a problem for indoor cats  :-:
Fleas can come in with you.

Some spot ons treat earmites but arent as good ear drops

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:58:08 AM »
Dawn, it's probably safer to get a check, polyps can cause serious discomfort. Although if it's a lot of shaking and quite frantic scratching it could be earmites and canaural is pretty good for that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:58:22 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 23:26:15 PM »
I have spent the last year having problems with Barneys ears who has now just turned one year old. He's had ear mites, crusty ears and waxy ears. Just him out of the 5 cats I own suffer with ear problems. Recently he has just been on yet another course of canaural which cleared the wax and crusty bits out of his ears. Last Friday I checked his ears as the medication had come to an end, and ears were clear, tonight however there is a build up of wax again. My vet is considering sedating him so that he can examine his ears closer and a permanent solution can be found to help Barney. As for applying the medication, I find a tub full of chicken and cheese temptations helps :sneaky:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 22:07:15 PM »
Magsy doesn't go outside - could I have brought something like that into the house?  :(

I would have thought if it was mites that she would be scratching them alot but she isn't - I tried having a look in there but she wasn't so keen on that idea  :rofl:

Is there anything she might be able to have for mites (if it is) that I don't have to actually put in the ears for her? I just know thats going to be SO hard with Mags. When we had to give ear drops to Doc he is the friendliest of cats but he left a big gash in Phils arm (which is now scarred!) from us trying to hold him and put the medicine in  :scared:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 21:56:24 PM »
Ear mites, harvest mites, fleas, polyps, you need to be brave and box her up  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 21:45:24 PM »
Is she an outdoor girl??

Maybe she has earmites , Fredcat gets them and they drive him potty!

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 21:35:12 PM »
Penguin every once in a while gets itchy ears, if I don't remember to clip his nails in time he can take the fur off right behind his ears. All due to ear wax build up.

The vets gave me some meds to stick in his ears which helps when it gets too bad. (he normally gives me a cold shoulder after I've done this for about a day).

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Problem with Magsy Moo's ears
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 21:18:17 PM »
Hello All,

I thought some of you might be able to give me some advice on Mags's ears. I know the easiest and best course of action is probably the vets but I really dread having to take her as she wont let me pick her up and I would not want to have to try and put her in her box and in the car!

Both of Magsys ears have looked itchy over the past week or so (they look like shes been scratching them - on the outside but I haven't actually seen her doing it) the outer part of the ear looks as if it is losing some fur (again, through scratching?) Shes been such a good girl and let me mess about with her ears and have a good feel and they feel as if they have a few crusty bits on where shes been itching.

Is it possible she's got some sort of allergy? Any ideas on what I can do?  :shify:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Link to CatChat