Author Topic: 77% more cats dumped in the first quarter of 2008  (Read 2239 times)

MBll

Re: 77% more cats dumped in the first quarter of 2008
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 00:01:02 AM »
With talk re credit cruch, inflation & the prices going up on everything  then how do you eplain the prices on animals, when ads selling kittens mostly £100 plus & cross bred pups for more them a pedigree ...there are still morrons willing to part with the money.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 19:10:53 PM »
Theres life in the old brain yet. Thanks Angie

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 17:24:46 PM »
There was a similar story on purrs not long ago, think it was angie covcats that posted about it

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 02:31:11 AM »
I just got back from working a family event in Dublin, and one of the stands was a pet charity - they had a tiny kitten there that was found in a plastic bag hanging in a tree..... The young girls on the stand told me that the kitten was 6 weeks old, but I don't know whether they got it wrong or not. Still, awful - a baby kitten in a plastic bag... in a TREE??
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 19:59:05 PM »
Some people need little excuse to dump their pets. I rarely go into a house that does not have a huge plasma TV and funky sound equipment - apart from the people I visit in the cat fraternity of course. Go round the poorest estates and you see large 4X4s parked up in front gardens, everyone walking round with mobile phones... and people plead proverty. For them poverty may be not being able to borrow more money to make the latest purchase that they don't need or get the new Xbox , Wii or designer clothes.

Spot on, peoples priorities are all wrong, they never go without their fags, stella & trainers :sigh:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »
Donations - what donations? We only get donations when we home. Its been quiet on the homing front for the last month - not many enquiries though we've had a shortage of homeable cats having had so many pregnant and kittens.

Some people need little excuse to dump their pets. I rarely go into a house that does not have a huge plasma TV and funky sound equipment - apart from the people I visit in the cat fraternity of course. Go round the poorest estates and you see large 4X4s parked up in front gardens, everyone walking round with mobile phones... and people plead proverty. For them poverty may be not being able to borrow more money to make the latest purchase that they don't need or get the new Xbox , Wii or designer clothes.

At 50, I can remember some bad points in my childhood when my father (who has cancer at 39) refused to take any of the benefits he was entitled to. At 12, one school uniform, weekly bath at the local baths and entertainment was the library, playing in the street and an old second hand black and white telly in the 60's. No central heating, when it got really cold we had a parrafin heater in the bedroom and you could pick the ice off the inside of the bedroom windows.

My mother has stories going back to the 1940's when they chopped up old furniture to sell as firewood to buy food. 3 girls huddled in one bed under their coats through lack of blankets and only having stale bread in the house on Xmas day.
I know things have changed in many ways over the years and its pointless looking back and making comparisons really but people should really get real..... >:(

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 23:29:17 PM »
Hey guys thanks for making my day, as this is the only place I have found that believes the credit crunch is all hype, maybe you could inform the banks and let them know ;D I have run my own business for the last 10 years, this time last year I had 4 people working with me, now its 2. My fuel costs like everyone else's has shot up and my material costs have gone through the roof, with one product going up 60% in one month. Ultimately it is the end user who has to pay, and because their cost of living has gone up respectively they no longer have the same disposable income they once had.
Having said that, I'm not entirely sure how much it actualy costs to look after a cat for a week, a month or a year. Taking into account of insurance & food & veterinary bills, but as others have said, the first to suffer will be in some cases be people animals, whether it the farmer who no longer can afford to buy food for his livestock or the family who are struggling to put food on the table for their kids, sometimes it's not so clear cut as people would like it to be. I'd be interested to know as to whether donations to you rescue centers are down on previous years and whether people wanting to adopt was at it's normal level or not. I like all on here would go to the end of the earth for the well being of my cats, but for some that is not always the case. What happens to all these animals that need to go into a rescue centers, when there is no more room? Because there has to be at some point a limit of what you guys can actually take in.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 20:19:09 PM »
Same here - but the stories are unbelievable - I believe it was Ela who posted nce about a woman who regularly wants her cat rehomed then asks for a kitten a weks later. How can these people not form an emotional attachment? - they really should have stuffed toys  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline daniellesdogs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 20:08:06 PM »
tell her not to have the baby if she cant aford it. my 12 year old son would rather beg on the streets than my pets go with out. it p***** me off. i got upset when i looked after a kitten for one night before going on to its new forever home a while back. after having my cats and dogs for almost 2 years now i could never let them go. they will stay with me till the day they die.
danielle

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 17:31:13 PM »
You are probably right  :(

We have a woman on our waiting list who had a cat from us 3 years ago. She wants to rehome as she is having a 2nd baby and said she can't afford a cat as well  :(
I really can't believe someone would part with a ca after all that time  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 17:28:30 PM »
It's really slow on homing too and has been for a while, unfortunately I think all the hype is putting people off taking on a pet as well as those abandoning them  >:(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 10:34:19 AM »
Yes its definately been hyped up  >:(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »
I'm a bit irritated with the whole credit crunch thing, I do think the media are talking it up, it is making people who's circumstances haven't even changed think twice about everything because it is all we hear about - rant over - yes it is a horrible increase in numbers but as ever the weakest suffer

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »
Its a huge increase tho isnt it  :Crazy: not like any thing major has happened yet either, dread to think what will happen when it does  :scared:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:10:18 AM »
I'd heard that there were problems, people cutting down on vets appointments etc, i suppose the pets will be the first to suffer in some households

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
HUH More Happy news  >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I'm just really angry about this - I'm feeling the pinch too - just took out a car loan - but will my cats suffer??? - not a cat in hells chance - they will still have what they have been having for the past 6 years.

I just wish all cats were treated half as good as mine  -

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
77% more cats dumped in the first quarter of 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 20:17:42 PM »
I got an email from pets kitchen and it said "The shocking statistics show that 23% more pets were abandoned in 2007 than 2006, and 77% more cats were dumped in the first quarter of 2008 compared to the previous year."

Looks like 2008 is going to continue being crappy  :(

The credit crunch is affecting all of us, from house owners to car drivers, and recent figures from the RSPCA and Cats Protection show that it's not just us that are suffering - our pets are becoming victims of the economic slow down as well.
The shocking statistics show that 23% more pets were abandoned in 2007 than 2006, and 77% more cats were dumped in the first quarter of 2008 compared to the previous year. These figures are obviously very worrying for anyone with a passion for pets, but we can all help by making sure we prioritise looking after our own pets in these difficult times, and supporting charities like the RSPCA and Cats Protection who can help deal with these unwanted pets.

Link to CatChat