Author Topic: Tonkinese cats  (Read 5246 times)

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
Re: Tonkinese cats
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 13:57:02 PM »
One cat site I looked at said their eye colour varies from aqua/green to green/aqua - I'm still working that one out.  I'll pm my e-mail to you Michelle - would love to see your boy.  Iwas just thinking Maxsmum that we are all probably certifiable.  I think it's a must if you have cats  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »
My Freddy is a Red point Tonk with Blue eyes  :Luv:

I gotta say he is the most loving and wonderful cat in the world. He is gentle but slightly naughty and loves to be craddled like a baby.
Whats your email address and i'll send you some pics (dont seem to be able to resize them on the laptop)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 09:59:31 AM »
No he wasn't too impressed at the time  :rofl:  normally he's a shameless lens hogger though :-)
but as you can see, some tonks look more burmese than siamese, although he has a 'siamese personality'. Vet thinks he has "funny eyes" too. I *think* he's meant to have more blue eyes than light green to be honest. Da Max is certifiable but so's his mum  :rofl:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 09:48:45 AM »
What a gorgeous boy - the photo is great.  He doesn't look too impressed with having his pic taken  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 01:23:29 AM »
Da Max is very handsome!  :Luv2:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 22:34:53 PM »
Hopefully this will work....if no photo below, then it didn't !  My Max is a tonkinese....sort of....his mum was a seal point siamese and his dad a healthyfood burmese. He has light green eyes and quite a burmese face, not too much of a siamese voice - though when he's on the litter box we get the full yooowwwwl - but def has a siamese temperament. He's quite fussy, nervy and is a plastic eater and such a funny little guy who does bonkers things - and loves attention more than anything! Hates being left alone.  It's so exciting to be getting a little tonk kitten, they are just lovely and I look forward to seeing lots of photos.

Ok will try to post piccie link of da Max (many thanks to Helen for her help):

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 22:36:33 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 16:52:40 PM »
ooooh how exciting Tonks really are lovely .... and love human company.  Looking forward to seeing the pics when you get to visit  :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 16:27:01 PM »
Having said I could have the kitten, I don't think my husband would be too pleased if I suggested cancelling the holiday, Rosella, aklthough I must say the thought did cross my mind  :rofl: :rofl:  We are going to see the little one middle of July and will take the camera with us and then I'll scream for help yet again on how to post pics Helen.  I am so thrilled I could almost have a tena moment with excitement!   :rofl: :rofl: ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 13:52:22 PM »
Am really pleased for you PP, you deserve some happiness after having Portia and Ollie so cruelly taken from you  :hug: When do you get to meet your new baby?  Don't forget to take your camera when you do  :evillaugh:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 13:16:02 PM »
Congrats on the soon to be tonk baby!

Please let me know how you get on with it as I'd love one (many MANY years down the road).

Right now we've got our hands full with a Burmese and a tabby kitten. (my other two moggies look like angels....)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
....and my wonderful husband asked me if I would like a Tonkinese kitten.  Would I?  ..... I hope I don't upset you all by doing this.

Your hubby sounds lovely.  Congratualtions PP. Any chance you can cancel the holiday and get the new arrival a week earlier?  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
I was at a tonk show last weekend they are lovely, congrats puddypaws

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 11:25:08 AM »
I agree - that is what I want a Siamese to look like.  The eyes are so mesmerising.  Ever since we had 2 Burmese years ago, I have been longing for another oriental cat of some sort but it just didn't seem destined to happen.  When I came across a site that had some Tonkinese on, I fell in love but that was as far as it went.   Then we lost Portia and Ollie and I just felt I would never have any more cats (apart from sweetie Sophie of course) because it was so heartbreakingly hard.  The other day we were chatting about how it would be nice for Sophie to have a playmate as she is only a baby and my wonderful husband asked me if I would like a Tonkinese kitten.  Would I?  I thought about it because I know how many rescue cats there are needing homes, but this has been a dream for so long that I decided to say yes.  I hope that you won't all think I am doing the wrong thing by buying a pedigree kitten.  We have spoken to a breeder who has just what we are looking for (only tiny as yet) and hopefully towards the end of September we will have a new baby.  They will be ready to be rehomed at the end of August, but as we are away for a week in September the lady said she would keep him for us.  I am so excited.  I hope I don't upset you all by doing this.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 19:57:17 PM »
This is a good site.  Shows how the siamese has changed over the years.  I think the classic siamese is the one I like best

http://members.tripod.com/tsca.uk/

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 19:42:56 PM »
The old style siameseclub is a good place to start:  http://www.oldstylesiamese.co.uk/index.html

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 19:38:08 PM »
Even among 'modern' siamese there is a fair bit of variation.  Some are way too extreme for me but some breeders do breed more moderate cats.  Then there are the traditional or classic siamese breeders if you want something more old style.

This is the look I like in a siamese

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 17:54:42 PM »
My Mum and Dad had a pair of Tonk sisters  ... unfortuantely in December Lucy was PTS but Chloe is still going strong ... you can see a pic of them on this thread: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,7572.0.html

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 17:02:34 PM »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 16:18:01 PM »
The modern siamese and persians are wrong, couldnt believe the pics of the old persians that Gillian directed me too  :shocked:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 16:15:07 PM »
you need to look for traditional or old style I think, they definately do them, there is a breeder near me

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 16:14:18 PM »
I haven't seen anything about that Gillian.  I was really disappointed at one breeder I looked at - the cats ears stuck out practically horizontally from the head.  Not a look that I liked!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 00:19:50 AM »
I was thinking of getting a Siamese but I wasn't keen on the look some breeders are producing now. 

There are breeders who still breed the tradtional style Siamese, just like the one I remember lived next door to us when I was a child.  :Luv2: Love the look of them.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 20:35:01 PM »
They are adventurous, cocky, prone to vertical living and very people-oriented.

Great description and spot on!

I suspect they would fit into your household very well Puddy, but your knitting will be seriously hampered :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:  Definitely no knitting!

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 20:33:29 PM »
My knitting has already been Sophied, BC.  First she chewed through the wool as I was knitting and yesterday I discovered that she didn't like the pattern, so she unravelled a couple of rows and added a few decorative knots for good measure.  Looing at the breed on one of the cat sites, they seem to have the good points of both Burmese and Siamese.  Before we had Ollie and Portia, I was thinking of getting a Siamese but I wasn't keen on the look some breeders are producing now. 

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 20:18:21 PM »
tonks are a cross of Burmese and Siamese and they share a lot of the characteristics of each breed. They are adventurous, cocky, prone to vertical living and very people-oriented. They are extremely affectionate and can be destructive if they are not receiving sufficient stimulation ... I suspect they would fit into your household very well Puddy, but your knitting will be seriously hampered :rofl:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
Tonkinese cats
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 20:15:50 PM »
Just after a bit of info at the moment.  Does anyone on Purrs have a Tonkinese cat or know what the breed is like.  I saw a picture of one and it looked gorgeous

Link to CatChat