Author Topic: Memphis carpet digging issues.  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Memphis carpet digging issues.
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 22:47:03 PM »
Just wondered if Memphis is still up for rehoming?  :evillaugh:  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 20:38:18 PM »
Rattley doors, old ^taffy^ was a pro at that   :Luv::evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 22:33:58 PM »
When I had issues with the foster cats doing this in the cat room, I used carpet protector in front of the door - they still scratched, but it didn't sound nearly as bad. Now all I need to do is figure out how to stop the door being as loose so it doesn't rattle when they hit it, but the doors in this house are awful for that, the bathroom one is the same.
Please spay your cat

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: Memphis is seriously doing my head in
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 19:31:35 PM »
Sorry nothing to add on the advice front. All our inside doors are always open and Noni still digs at carpet by the doors  :Crazy:  Mmmmmm ..... rehoming Memphis...... so very tempting but 4 really is our limit  :(

Oh go on he doesn't take up any space  :)

This morning he was playing catch da mousey .. only problem is he was playing it on me whilst I was trying to sleep  :shocked: It felt like a hurt of elephants trampling all over.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 19:32:01 PM by Den »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 15:30:38 PM »
Den - sorry to interupt the thread but I hate that all you can see in the thread list is "Mempis is seriously" - I know he's fine but it looks horrible

Glad that you changed title too Den.  When I first saw it I was really alarmed :scared:

Sorry nothing to add on the advice front. All our inside doors are always open and Noni still digs at carpet by the doors  :Crazy:  Mmmmmm ..... rehoming Memphis...... so very tempting but 4 really is our limit  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 17:42:28 PM »
Thanks Den  :evillaugh: :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 17:26:59 PM »
Den - sorry to interupt the thread but I hate that all you can see in the thread list is "Mempis is seriously" - I know he's fine but it looks horrible

Sorry no advice - I can't control my own cats  :evillaugh:

Sorry I had no idea I'll change it for you  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 17:22:06 PM »

Sorry no advice - I can't control my own cats  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »
Den, if you don't have the room between bottom of door and the carpet/floor for Gill's (v good) idea, why not buy or find a big piece of thick cardboard to put under the door, then close the door over the top. Again, a big enough piece that if Memphis scratches at the cardboard, he wont make any difference on the carpet and also wont be able to move the cardboard out of the way.

I actually tried that one. Sadly though the people who built this house did a bodged up job. My door just had to be the odd one! There is probably 1/2 a mm of space under that door. So what I did was I hooked the carboard over the doorbar ... the little  :censored: figured a way around it. He started digging up the bit under the bannister instead and pulled the lot up .. which lifted the cardboard out. He also tried to do the kitchen yesterday as well ... I shut him out as I was cleaning the floor with very, very hot water and I didn't want him to hurt his feet. He had other ideas. Carboard won't work on that one as the living room side (carpet) is higher up than the kitchen side (Vinyl) = no space more than a mm or so under the door.

I know the plastic you mean Claire, thank you I shall try that and see how it does.

The solution is obvious really - you'll have to rehome Memphis.  When can I come and collect him?  :evillaugh:

Whenever you are available to come collect him  :naughty:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »
Another good thing to stop them scratching the corner of the carpets up under the doors is the thin corrugated plastic you get in packets of rolls etc in M&S (I think).  It wedges nicely under the door and stops them being able to claw the carpet up.

I gave up shutting Max out of anywhere a looooong time ago, he just wants to be wherever I am most of the time, but I know its easier in my house as I only have him to worry about.

You'll find a solution Den, there's always a way around things  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 22:32:48 PM »
The solution is obvious really - you'll have to rehome Memphis.  When can I come and collect him?  :evillaugh:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 22:14:18 PM »
Den, if you don't have the room between bottom of door and the carpet/floor for Gill's (v good) idea, why not buy or find a big piece of thick cardboard to put under the door, then close the door over the top. Again, a big enough piece that if Memphis scratches at the cardboard, he wont make any difference on the carpet and also wont be able to move the cardboard out of the way.

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 22:05:17 PM »
When the birmans first arrived and wanted them isolated in one room , Franta dug up the carpet behindthe dor and I couldnt get into the room. He also used to howl cos he wanted to be free and also Ducha howled too.

The answer to the carpet digging and I was lucky cos there was enough space was a piece of hard board that went under the door and overlapped the carpet by a good 12-18 inches and as it was shinny he could not cscratch it although he tried and also the carpet edge was too far under for him to get the carpet up and the door kept it in place.

My door would just shut across the hardboard cos it sorta sunk into the underfay which is like a csponge cushion.

Have to say my carpet wont go back in the runners now cos its all frayed  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 21:05:49 PM »
Have you considered those glue-on artificial nails for cats Den?

I have, but I have a sneeking suspicion knowing him it's a waste of money. He's forever picking his claws with his teeth, and I reckon he could pull them off easily. He's such a crafty cat. So I need a crafty solution  :shify: Will be trying the carpet runner - I can pick one up from homebase.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 21:01:59 PM »
LOL at Gill. When I used to live in a flat I actually had to sleep with the door open so I could hear if the brats cats were scratching my new sofa. I would lie there trying to listen for the slightist noise so I could run out and tell them off  :evillaugh:

when I bought my new sofa, I slept on the sofa for weeks vainly trying to guard it against the cats. I finally resigned myself to a mohair trim on the arms and back as being inevitable (I could not stay awake for as many consecutive days as the cats could as they caught up on their sleep while i was at work  :rofl: :rofl: ).

Have you considered those glue-on artificial nails for cats Den?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 20:56:01 PM »
Thanks Susanne I had been considering the carpet runners but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them working. It shouldn't be difficult to secure them just hope he doesn't try to dig under.

You know what he's not scared of the hoover  :-: He's fascinated by it but not scared.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 20:53:06 PM »
What about those plastic carpet runners?  Could you secure some of those in some way so that he can't dig up the carpet?

I've also heard suggested that you keep a hoover plugged in and near the bed, then at any sound of scratching or crying you switch it on  :rofl: 

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 20:42:39 PM »
No. I live in the most unnecessarily complicated house. Without boring anyone the kitchen isn't a secure area for a cat.

I have to find a way to stop him from scratching when I close a door. Giving him free reign is not an option. Kitchen just isn't safe, bathroom he shreds things. So it leaves the whole landing/stair area which is huge for him. He has his litter box, food, water, toys and a nice comfy bed - I'm 99% sure where thats where he sleeps at night anyway!! And he comes into my room before he settles down and in the morning before I wake up.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 20:12:01 PM »
Can you shut Memphis in the kitchen??
Thats where both my cats spend the night as i need my sleep!!!
My old cat Puss used to tell me when it was bed time but he would sleep on the bed in my arms all night
My 2 cats now Abby & Zak  also think my bed time is playtime so it's a 5-10 minute play session before bed they then get shut in the kitchen and hallway and we get some sleep

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »
Can't sleep with anything in my ears or over my face.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »
what about a fan and earplugs?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Let's see.

Door open isn't really an option because it means Molly has to be shut in the kitchen and I really hate that (I'm trying to keep everyone happy here).
Had thought of a fan but they are too noisy.
Yes I've had him since a kitten and he wasn't allowed in here. Let's see I got him in October, he was shut out all the way through to Easter and that's when the battle started.
I've tried ignoring him but its impossible to do without him actually damaging the carpet ..... he manages to rip the carpet out from under the door bars!!!!!!!!!!! He also goes for the carpet in the cornering.
I had thought about double sided tape but that's what paws away stickers are and it has no effect on him, he manages to pull them off.
I have no room in here for a litter box - seriously no floor space at all. It still means if he's in here I can't have my window open. He would definitely try to escape, that was proved the day before yesterday  :( He had both feet out the window and I was wrestling him to come inside.

The way it used to be before his holy highness decided to change things was Me, Mig and Molly all squished in. Now he wants to joing the party but we are dying because of the heat.

I'm kind of liking Susanne's idea of the childprood door stoppers - it lets Memph in and out, keeps Molly in. But I bet you any money Memphis will play up and start harassing Molls then I'll have 20kg and 5 kg of animals running all over me  :-: Memphis has me ALL day everyday, I can't do much with him when I'm alseep so he's not missing out on anything  :scared:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 08:16:06 AM »
Can you try double sided sticky tape on the carpet near the door?  If he can't get too close to the door maybe he will not scratch the carpet?  Otherwise don't know what to suggest except ignore ignore ignore in the hope that he eventually gets the message.  I used to shut my boys out and hated having the bedroom door open but now that they have access to the bedroom Ive got used to it.  I have those childproof door stoppers on so can shut it pretty much all the way as that leaves room for them to walk in and out when it's pushed shut but I know they can't accidentally close it.

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 00:54:37 AM »
You know I prefer to be sleeping with a few cats to sleeping (snoozing) with my OH.

Couldnt go to sleep without a kitty cuddle.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 00:49:28 AM »
I thinks that is LOL at you cc  ;D

Until Kocka arrived I always had all doors shut, hated open doors. I would love to shut my doors but now every internal door in the house has to be open cos otherwise I would have to be up down all time cos one cat or another would want to be on the otherside. Thats a lot of times with 4 cats  :rofl: :rofl: I even have to put a towel on top of some to stop Misa slamming them shut and trapping himself inside!

As for undisturbed sleep when you are tired enough you sleep LOL............I now have a cat who moans at me when I want some space in the bed and has neat manouvring moves to make me move so he can stretch out his tail. The number of times I wake to find I am falling out of bed or he has all my pillow!

Kocka used to sleep on my bed or on the boxes on the window sill or down the side of the bed but to get there she had to walk across the bed and when she got very old and sick it was horrible not having her there but she couldnt get comfy there any more. So Ducha is welcome to sleep with me if he wants and would never shut a door on any of them...........cept when I trapping Sasa for the vets..........sigh.

This is life with cats  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 00:36:19 AM »
I know you said you hate sleeping with the door open. But that might be the best problem solver... If any help, I ALWAYS had to sleep with door shut - until we moved a year ago, and now I would get claustrophobic if I even closed it the slighest. It has to be wide open. And this is with a cat who has catflap access 24-7 - jeez the amount of times I've woken up with wildlife in my bedroom! I still won't shut it though - it took a while to get used to, but it can be done. Good luck!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 00:32:37 AM »
LOL at Gill. When I used to live in a flat I actually had to sleep with the door open so I could hear if the brats cats were scratching my new sofa. I would lie there trying to listen for the slightist noise so I could run out and tell them off  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 00:27:34 AM »
I suspect the problem is and you have not mentioned this so maybe I am wrong, that you are trying to do something different to what he has always done and I think you have had him as a kitten?

I maybe wrong cos you say since easter? So was he shut out before without a problem?

Bit hard to go any further without knowing what was happenoing before the new carpet.

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 00:26:53 AM »
Could you take his litter tray into your room overnight?

Ted used to do this all the time, I would try to ignore him but in the end, ended up letting him in. He came in for a nosey stayed 5 mins and went back out lol Memphis probabily wants to do the same, he must think something is going on with you's in the room and him not.

Would he escape from the window? You could always get a fan  :shy:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Memphis carpet digging issues.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 00:00:01 AM »
I shouldn't really be posting as it's so late but he is annoying me.

Basically it's war between us and he CANNOT win! I need to find a way to make him give in. Basically (and oddly enough) since having the new carpet fitted at Easter he is not accepting closed doors. Now I CANNOT have him destroying brand new carpet that I do not own. As soon as it gets to my bed time he decides that he has to be able to come in here at night. To start with he is such a pain, he's a very nocturnal cat and thinks bed time is play time. I'm also very grumpy when tired and I NEED sleep. I'm one of those people who just cannot function without sleep or with interupted sleep. If I close my door to go to bed he digs and scratches at the carpet, and it's obvious. I've tried paws away stickers but they don't work with him, I've tried blocking the base of the door and he finds away around it, I've also tried tin foil which doesn't work. I've tried bitter apple spray but it doesn't deter him. Spraying water is useless as it's impossible to catch him at it - he's one side of the door I'm the other. Open the door and he stops!

My room is currently like a sauna and I NEED my window open. It's one of those double glazed windows that doesn't have a bit at the top. I'm also above the garage which sticks out from the house so he wouldn't have a big drop at all - which makes it easy to escape. It's ROASTING in here and both Mig and I are suffering (Mig sleeps in my room - long story but he has anxiety issues). I need my door closed so I can open my window at night. Memphis just isn't having any of it. I can't shut him in any room as he will still scratch. He accidently got shut in the bathroom once and he shredded a brand new roll of toilet paper.

Now for those people who are at this point thinking a window screen .........

I actually HATE sleeping with the door open. It's not something I'm willing to continue doing because I really hate it that much. Also Molly is supposed to be sleeping in my room. At the moment she is relegated to the kitchen because she messes around when the door is open, she wont settle. Have the door closed and she's perfect  :Luv: She settles down straight away and sleeps all night. Which is fine because she doesn't disturb me. That is another 2 reasons I need my door shut at night (without Memphis trying to break it down or dig under it).

He's seriously affecting 3 of us. Since 3 of us are being affected I see it as being fair that he sorts his issues out. It's not going to hurt him. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even sleep in here during the night anyway!!!! I'm sure he sleeps on the landing!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 17:27:51 PM by Den »

Link to CatChat