Author Topic: Anyone own a british shorthair??  (Read 14296 times)

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
Re: Anyone own a british shorthair??
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 12:11:24 PM »
My sister has three gorgeous BSH girls that  are all happy indoor cats.

They keep each other company while my sister and husband are out at work, and also keep the three Westies in order - cats definitely rule the roost!

Like most indoor cats they enjoy interactive play with their humans. They do sometimes call out to each other from room to room - like they're just checking the others are still out there!

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »
I have a British Shorthair that we rescued a few months ago and who I fell in love with immediately.

They are a gorgeous shape, just like teddy bears and, after reading up on the breed, he seems to be a typical BSH, very laid back, almost more like a dog than a cat - he will roll over for his tummy to be tickled.  McLaren is not a vocal cat but he loves attention and gets on so well with all the others, though recently he has had issues with Stella, but it is hard to work out if he just wants to be friends with her; she is the most unfriendly cat we have.

Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline NatalieMT

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 01:07:13 AM »
I have a british blue named Cloud.

I have another of hime somewhere which I'll have to upload of him sleeping in a sieve!

He's still only young but is already extremely friendly and affectionate. He really seems to enjoy just being around people. He'll sit on my knee and watch me type or just watch me do the washing up! He can be a little cheeky but generally he's well behaved. And yes he's very vocal! Very very vocal!

So far he has been an indoor cat and at the moment I don't plan to let him out, just because it's not as safe these days...

Hope you enjoy getting your british shorthair, personally I think their wonderful cats to own and yours should be a delight!  :Luv:

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 21:52:34 PM »
Oooooooooooooooh I am sooooooooooo jealous - BSHs are my dream kitties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 21:50:12 PM »
My friend has two British Blue Shorthairs and they are both indoor cats although very different in temprement one ( male) is very pushy and jealous type ..loves to be the centre of attention and demands to be played with ..he is quite scary at times lol Her other cat Lucy is more timid yet sweet ..

In my experience they are very clever kits and will normally adapt to a life indoors if from kittenhood ..(i think that this relates to most cats not just BSH)

Looking forward to pics
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 14:58:05 PM »
Roz please can we have a picture of yours?

I love BSH cos they look so cuddly and the blue/cream is a lovely colour can wait to see the pictures  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 07:53:32 AM »
Can't wait to see pics.
Lottie - just because cats have been indoor only from kittens doesn't mean they will be content as indoor only - they can see outside through windows, so sometimes do get curious and want to go out. Our other fosterer is having to let her cat come back to us as after 2 years being indoor only she has just started going outside, and she had a Persian that did the same, although hers was after 18 months.
Please spay your cat

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 22:37:28 PM »
You're deffo right about the "undignified" bit!  :rofl:

BSH tend to have phlegmatic and gentle natures - well, certainly from what I've noticed at shows from the cats I've been fortunate to meet. They also do grow to quite a size, but that adds to their cuddlyness. Also, BSH can be lazy but you do get the odd one that's a demon hunter.They're one of the breeds with which you are least likely to have any behavioural issues - BSH are as close to the typical family cat as you are likely to get.

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 16:39:07 PM »
Hi Kittycat
What excitement ~ a new kitty~ bet you can't wait.
I have two BSH one all blue & one blue/cream. They have a really high intelligence... mine unfortunately are not lap cats but still cuddly. No probs with food & tums but do prefer premium wet/dry foods. They are spoilt rotten ~ but I love it.
Have loads of fun fun fun with new babe!

Pic of Poppy blue/cream in a very undignified position. LOL

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 16:40:50 PM by Purrlishious »

Offline Iluvcritters

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 14:35:21 PM »
Congrats! can't wait to see pictures of the kitty.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 14:04:51 PM »
Hi,

Yes, Thomas, the little guy I collected for Animal Concern last year en route to picking up Little Black Bob, (many of you will remember his sad, sad story)....is a brown spotted British Shorthair.  We couldn't leave him at that hell-hole...so I procured him by default. He has a slight veterinary problem but it is not serious and is under control....He will be two in June.

He is absolutely wonderful.  Not particularly interested in exploring the outside world, he is happy just running about the house but is very people orientated.  He dribbles when you cuddle him...bless.  He looks very like a brown spotted bengal but has the wide open face of the British with those lovely 'startled' eyes that they always seem to have, and the texture of his coat is gorgeous...very plush and soft and as silky as a bengal. I was very surprised.

Every time I see him he runs towards me with his little mouth wide open, squeaking with joy.  It's like he's saying 'Hi' and giving me a wave.  It really is funny and very endearing.  He has no problems with food....he is eats anything, wet or dry and is always interested in what we are eating too.

My fave colour of the British is the Brtish Blues with their wonderful orange eyes but of course the Bacardi Breezer ads promoted the Silver Spotted into stardom.  The Silver bengals that are now gaining in popularity have been outcrossed with the Silver Spotted British...and actually some of them look more like the British than the bengal.

Hope that helps.

You will love your little girl.

Lots of love

Roz   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 18:24:29 PM by Roz »
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 13:25:45 PM »
A friend of mine has 3 BSHs, and they're all quite different in temperament, even the siblings.  One is perfectly happy to stay indoors, the other likes to have a mooch in the garden. They apparently all have quite sensitive tums, but not sure whether this is breed specific.

One thing I do know is that they're gorgeous  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:58:20 AM »
You're asking this after you've decided to get her?!  ;D :rofl:

I think BSH's are lovely.  Very cute and cuddly looking.  I think personality wise they are quite laid back but I guess individuals will vary as with all breeds.  A friend of mine got 2 BSH kittens a few years ago but ended up rehoming them after a few months as she coudn't cope with them.  She was keeping them indoors and one seemed desperate to go outside and was quite hyper.  I think that was just his personality though as the other one was more laid back.  Many do keep them indoors without any problem.  Don't forget that if you have any problems when you get her home the breeder should be happy to advise.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 11:53:12 AM »
P.S: You should have no probs with it being an indoor cat as it won't know what the outside world is. They can't miss what they don't know. For the best of both worlds you can always buy or build an enclosed run for your garden so she can go outside in that and still be perfectly safe or completely enclose your garden. Please be careful with some of the catproofing kits around though as my friend used one in her garden and her NFC kitten got out luckily she saw it so got it back in immediately and then had to put a mesh roof on her garden.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:44:23 AM »
Don't know anything about BSHs but her breeder should be able to tell you all about those sort of things and you'll have got an idea of temper and personality etc when you met her parents.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
Anyone own a british shorthair??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:48:38 AM »
We're picking up our first kitten this weekend!
 ;D

Shes a blue-cream british shorthair.

Does anyone else have a pedigree bsh?  Can you tell me what your cat's personality is like?

Are they usually happy being indoor cats?  And are they very vocal?

I can't wait to get to know ours!

Link to CatChat