Author Topic: cat n00b  (Read 2423 times)

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
Re: cat n00b
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 22:50:02 PM »
Hi Jimmy, I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you for taking a test, it only because I work in a hospital that I'm aware of how unreliable allergy tests can be. It seems you are ok around cats anyway so you should not have any problems when you have your own ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 22:49:16 PM »
Glad your test was negative, an adult cat may be better suited for your lifestyle as you are out so much? Kittens get lonely on their own and can then turn destrcutive  :scared: :scared:

Offline jimmy roaster

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 22:27:58 PM »
Hi and welcome to purrs ;D

Just wanted to ask what made you think you were allergic to cats in the first place? Is it your family history of cat allergy or do you actually have symptoms when near cats. It maybe advisable as Millys mum suggested to actually spend some time with cats before getting one as these allergy tests can throw up false negatives, even hospital ones, first hand experience is the only way to find out for sure.
That said I do hope your not allergic to cats, good luck in your search for a furball ;D

just family history. I'm fine around friends cats when i stay overnight but just wanted to confirm i was ok with a test. Would hate to get a pet then have to get rid of it.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 22:14:47 PM »
Hi and welcome to purrs ;D

Just wanted to ask what made you think you were allergic to cats in the first place? Is it your family history of cat allergy or do you actually have symptoms when near cats. It maybe advisable as Millys mum suggested to actually spend some time with cats before getting one as these allergy tests can throw up false negatives, even hospital ones, first hand experience is the only way to find out for sure.
That said I do hope your not allergic to cats, good luck in your search for a furball ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 18:19:37 PM »
Great news  ;D  That kit looks pretty good and very cheap too, my sister is adamant she's allergic to cats and always makes a big fuss when she comes round mine sneezing and rubbing her eyes but I'm not convinced - might get her to take the test to prove it  :evillaugh:

To be honest those three places you have mentioned are exactly where you shouldn't be looking for a cat or kitten.  There are hundreds of thousands of cats and kittens in rescue centres up and down the country looking for a new home.  The majority of people that advertise in the free ads etc are back street breeders, the kittens often have no health checks and are not vaccinated, not to mention the poor Mum cat that is bred repeatedly to make the owner a quick buck.  If you get a cat or kitten from a rescue centre you can be confident it will be in good health, well looked after, vaccinated, often microchipped and if you go for an older kitten or cat then neutered or spayed aswell.

Have a look for rescues in your area here - http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html 

Offline jimmy roaster

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 18:08:32 PM »
Just taken one of these tests http://www.simplicityhealth.co.uk/cat-allergy-test.asp

and it was negative which is great news, had to check though as there is history of pet allergies in my family

Now i can start looking for a kitten,

Apart from pet shops, free ad papers and local papers where else should i be looking?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 18:09:57 PM by jimmy roaster »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 16:49:10 PM »
Hi and Welcome to Purrs,

There is a product called Petal Cleanse which you can use to help with your allergy. http://www.bio-life.co.uk/

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 16:18:36 PM »
 :welcome:  if you think you may be allergic i personally would volunteer to help clean up after them and see what reaction you get. That way you dont have to go through the heartbreak of getting attached to a cat that you just cant live with.
Not everybodies allergies can be controlled with environmental aids and antihistamines.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 00:20:09 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I hope your allegy test shows negative for cats, cant advise though sorry.

Agree the lovely cat is a moggy and there is nothing wrong with a moggy . in fact some of the most fabulous cats are moggies  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 23:48:50 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs..... :)

Your neighbours furbabe is lovely!  :Luv: I would dare to say that he is blessed with being of the Heinz 57 breed....yes a moggie! Very handsome though!  :Luv2:

An oldie may be a great option for you and your OH (other half), they do not need as much attention as a younger cat would require.....All cats have different natures/personalities etc....you could get two identical cats with two totally different characters....best to have a word with one of the people in the "Rescue & Re-homing" sect....there is lots of lovely cats needing homes!  ;)

Re: The allergy advice....lots of hoovering, dusting etc....groom your cat regularly to minimise floating fur.....wash your hands after stroking cat....and if all else fails get some anti-hystamine in!  ;)

Good Luck with your allergy test!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 23:50:43 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline jimmy roaster

• Kitten
cat n00b
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 22:22:02 PM »
Hi,

I am a recently converted cat lover and will be looking to get one ASAP.

However i am a bit concerned i may be allergic to them. An allergy test kit is on it's way so I'm hoping it will show negative.

So i have a few questions i need answering.

I need a quite independent cat as me and my girlfriend can be out for 9 hours a day aswell as some weekends.

A neighbour which has now moved had a lovely grey cat, quite small and vocal. i have a pic

Does anyone know the breed of this cat as something similar would be perfect, and anymore advice on breeds aswell as allergy advice would be great.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat