Author Topic: The truth about Jameson!!!!  (Read 3673 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: The truth about Jameson!!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 21:44:32 PM »
could ask the gentleman you spoke to to spread the word that he now has a home, and that while you don't mind them giving him the odd thing to eat you would prefer it if they wouldn't go overboard and would limit it to the odd treat. 
I asked him to tell his neighbours too and he promised he would. He said they could tell he was a healthy boy who was looked after but they didn't know who he belonged to. I think he seemed satisfied to actually meet me and OH so he would know where to go incase of emergency. Although I know Jameson has been fed at his house for 2 years now, I still think he exaggerated a little when he talked about his feeding habits. I know he was honest about him turning up for food, but I know in my heart Jameson knows he gets breakfast and dinner at ours, and there is always bisquits out for him to nibble on. But I did see with my own 2 eyes Jameson sitting outside his door waiting to be let in. It just seemed so natural to him.
Our little hobo.  :Luv2:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 21:41:48 PM »
It's a difficult one - it's good to know that so many neighbours are fond of Jameson and enjoy his visits.    Some years ago I was lucky enough to be slave to a lovely cat called Frostie and she was very friendly.    All the neighbours loved her, I was at work all day so she enjoyed visiting them (mostly elderly).   Frostie was a very small cat (Persian with a very sensitive tummy) and they all thought she needed 'fattening up' and gave her all sorts of things, including milk which caused her terrible problems and we were regulars at the vets.   I asked them time and time again not to feed her and, after keeping her indoors for several weeks, eventually had to put a 'please do not feed me' tag on her.   She put on lots of weight and everyone commented how well she looked but it was a battle to get them to stop.   Sounds like Jameson enjoys all his treats but, if he does need a special diet, you may need to be quite firm with the neighbours.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 21:34:48 PM »
Yes, I did tell him the whole story (that he used to be owned by another neighbour, his car accident when he was a kitten, and how he used to be left to fend for himself). I told him that he is very much loved, fed on routine and daily basis, he is microchipped, insured and neutered. I got the impression that this man (and the other neighbours) just adore Jameson and love looking after him. If ever I would need to put Jamie on a diet they would be the first people to know. I think they are just humble gentlemen with a love for cats, which is all I care about - at least I know Jameson is being treated with TLC when he turns up on their doorstep.

Like I said me and OH did feel a bit cheated at first. But then all we care about is that Jameson is being looked out for, and loved by our neighbours. At the end of the day he's been coming to them for 2 years. We only moved in a year ago, and Jameson turned up on our doorstep too, which is when we took him under our wings.

Thanks all for your advice and thoughts.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 19:27:26 PM »
The only thing I would add is: do your neighbours know that Jamesons circumstances have changed since they first met him? 

Good point.  It does sound as though the neighbours who feed him (or at least the one you spoke to) are amenable to reason, so perhaps you could ask the gentleman you spoke to to spread the word that he now has a home, and that while you don't mind them giving him the odd thing to eat you would prefer it if they wouldn't go overboard and would limit it to the odd treat. 

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 18:41:08 PM »
The only thing I would add is: do your neighbours know that Jamesons circumstances have changed since they first met him?  That it was not you who were looking after him back then?  I would want them to know that so that if you need to put Jameson on a special regime, they will take you seriously.

I was tempted to use the expression "a different kettle of fish" in there for some inexplicable reason  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 16:38:36 PM »
I think you would struggle to break his habit, its how he survived before he had you. George used to go 2 doors down every sunday for roast chicken and a game with the grand daughter, before we moved in he was mainly a garbage bag cat  :( he kept this up until he became ill, they were really sad to hear what had happened and they still miss him alot. Jameson probably brightens their day in the same way George did for his old man  :Luv:

You could always ask them to give him a little less.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 13:58:56 PM »
Ah bless him sounds like he well know by all cat lovers in your area ... and the added bonus is you now have a new friend / cat sitter is you ever go away!  If you didn't have Jameson you would have never have met this chap!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 13:59:08 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 11:37:14 AM »
He's like one of those animals you read in the paper - the cat/dog who get on a bus, get off at exactly the same spot every day and go to the pub  :evillaugh:
I know!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
As long as they are giving him Salmon and fresh prawns I'm sure it's fine - as long as they aren't feeding him nasties like value ham and cows milk  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 08:52:26 AM »
He's like one of those animals you read in the paper - the cat/dog who get on a bus, get off at exactly the same spot every day and go to the pub  :evillaugh:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 23:03:30 PM »
Thanks guys. It feels good to know you understand the situation.  :hug: :thanks:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 23:01:41 PM »
It sounds like he has a great social club going but knows where his home is and comes back! Also the neighbours sound great, so if you do need to alter his food for any reason you could let them know now you know who to speak to.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 23:00:23 PM »
It's good to know he has others looking out for him.  The only potential problem will be if he needs to be on a special diet for any reason or if you want more control over what he's eating.  But if he's been hanging around the neighbours and getting fed there for longer than you've had him and he comes home to you every night then I wouldn't worry too  much - sounds like he's got it all sorted out to his satisfaction!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 22:39:26 PM »
And the added bonus is it share the cost of catfood! :evillaugh:

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 22:39:13 PM »
I reckon its worth the peace of mind knowing that you got folks who're looking out for him every day, that's priceless. Everyone round our lane knows Bilbo and Baggins   :)
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 22:34:27 PM »
Like OH puts it: Jameson is not a little Tiger... he's a little Cheeta!!  :evillaugh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 22:31:25 PM »
Jameson knows his home - but likes his independence. Nothing wrong with that, as long as everyone is aware Jameson has a home and is loved I don't think it should be a problem.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 22:29:06 PM »
This man has 4 cats of his own (indoor cats) - which is why he wont let Jameson indoors. So I know he's a catlover and he says he feeds him Whiskas - which is what I feed him too. (aswell as Hi Life)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 22:26:50 PM »
I only mention it cos Pebbles had been hit by a car when she was younger, and it did cause her to have arthritis. I think if you look into the glucosamine type supplements, it wont matter if you start them before any arthritis shows, as it supplements what we naturally have in our body
i am like Den, I didn't like Ginger eating elsewhere, cos he was on a diet and it was me who was being told every month that he hadn't lost much, the neighbours weren't bothered!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 22:24:32 PM »
As this is Jamesons routine going back to before you had him, I would be relieved that you now have contacts who look out for him everyday and that they are nice kind people and love Jameson and his character.

I wouldnt try to change this at all  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 22:24:10 PM »
Yes true - I prefer to monitor him too, and for many months I thought I did  :Crazy:
The main thing is now I know that people are looking out for him and they know where to call incase anything happens.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 22:20:14 PM »
I guess if everyone is ok with it then it shouldn't be a problem. I personally wouldn't like it but only because I like to monitor what my animals eat ..what goes in them, how much and what comes out. It's probably next to impossible to stop Jameson going over there, and if it makes him happy ....

At least you now know!!! Just make sure you tell the neighbours in the event Jameson needs a special diet for any reason in the future.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 22:18:58 PM »
so if he is getting a cat snack else where and is healthy and happy
true!! although he is getting breakfast, lunch and dinner!! At FOUR different houses!!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 22:17:50 PM »
Thanks guys - one part of me feels I should be upset about it, but the main part of me feels relieved.
Desley that's a good suggestion, I didn't know about that. Will look into it.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 22:15:48 PM »
He sounds so much like Ginger, I tried everything to get my neighbours to stop feeding him (mind you, he was 1kg overweight!!), but in the 4 years I owned him, I never stopped him. He had a name tag with my no on it, as he did have a habit of going in peoples houses, but it was how he had survived 3 years on the streets. Only other thing I would say is to start looking into arthritis supplements, he will be prone to it in that knee.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 22:15:02 PM »
He always comes back to you tho doesnt he.............................so if he is getting a cat snack else where and is healthy and happy , why deptive Jameson of a treat and your elderly neighbour of what sounds like a very welcome companion!! :innocent:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
The truth about Jameson!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 22:08:41 PM »
When we got Jameson he was used to go outdoors, and this is where he is the happiest. We installed a catflap and he has since then come and gone as he pleases. His previous owner used to lock him out if she went away (sometimes 3 days in a row) and I think this is the reason he is extremely independent. When he was a kitten (before we had him) he was involved in a car accident which resulted in him breaking his knee cap. He fully recovered and was healthy when we got him. Still I sometimes see him cross the road, it worries me, but I know in my heart that he is happiest when he can go outside, explore and discover. I have also mentioned that I sometimes suspect he is being fed elsewhere, as he can be away 11 hours in a row and when he gets back he isn't hungry. I said if that's the case I would prefer people not feeding him.
Anyway to get to my point - earlier this evening we played in the garden and he got extremely fired up and starting running around like a lunatic. He headed towards the road (but didn't cross) but I tried to catch him when he sneaked into a neighbours garden (a few houses away from ours). The neighbour was a friendly gentleman (who we never met before) and I apologised for being on his property but that ''I'm just getting my cat''. When he says ''OH is that your cat?? We have been wondering for ages who she belongs to''. Me and OH explained it's a he, he is much loved, microchipped and neutered - and he said he knew Jameson is a much looked after cat. He said him and his wife feeds him everyday!!! THEN he said that another 2 gentlemen down the road feeds him too!!! No wonder he only goes through a pouch a day!! He said Jameson is a well known character in the neighbourhood (not surprising) and I actually felt it was a relief to know that people look out for him, incase anything would happen. I told the man to tell his neighbours aswell. I thought I was going to be upset and ask him to stop feeding Jameson. But Jameson has been coming to his house everyday for 2 years (which is way before we got him), so it would just be natural for him to go back there. Apparently it's part of a daily routine. The gentleman told me about his favourite food (prawns) and what times he appears on his doorstep. He said his neighbour once took a salmon out, Jameson turned up and when this neighbour turned around Jameson finished the whole fish. He said the cat has a heartly appetite - which now makes sense cos I was always baffled why such a big active cat needed so little food!!
I now have the answers. They won't let him inside though, and it's nice for me to know he knows where his home is. And here I was thinking I know my puddy cat inside out! He's got himself sorted. While I thought it was upsetting to hear other people are feeding him, it's taken a big weight off my shoulder knowing he is looked out for, which makes it easier for me when he is outside on his daily adventures. Of course, the times in the past before we got him, when Jameson was locked outside with no food he has been coming to these people and been fed there. It's now a daily routine for him.

I'm baffled!! But relieved. Both me and OH felt slightly cheated - but this neighbour has known Jameson long before we did. Am I being a terrible meowmy for thinking it's ok he is being fed elsewhere?? It's been going on for all his life so don't know if trying to change it would do any good or if I even would get any results?!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 22:12:05 PM by jamesonsmum »

Link to CatChat