Author Topic: NEUTER/SPAY VOUCHERS  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: NEUTER/SPAY VOUCHERS
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 23:36:40 PM »
Of course I'm preaching to the choir on here as I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't put their cat's need first and wouldn't find the money if need be.

I agree with your whole post. However, round here out of 6 vets only one will let anyone pay by installments. The reason is that they are all owed thousands and in some cases tens of thousands. Even people who have insurance need to pay on the day and then claim from the insurance company. The reason for that is that in the past so many people have claimed the money from the insurance, then not paid the money to the vets.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 18:14:06 PM »
I agree with ela, but also with it not being black and white!  You don't need to have a lot of money to own a pet but I think you do need to have the potential to raise money quickly (eg through an overdraft or loan, relatives, raiding the penny jar etc).  Cats do get ill and they  need to be taken to a vet if they are.  On another forum I use I actually find it quite upsetting the number of people who post asking for help with their cat who's ill and end up saying "I cant' afford to take him to the vet".  When I think of how much pain my Magpie was in before he died last year it would have been downright cruel to have waited even half an hour to take him to the vets.  He needed to go immediately when I found him.  Total cost of vet treatment approx £2000.  Of course I could have just had him put to sleep immediately but even that would have cost me the emergency vet consultation fee of about £70.  So I do worry that anyone who can't afford to have their pets neutered won't be able to pay for veterinary care when it's needed.  A male neuter costs about the same as a consultation plus antibiotics etc.  I think everyone needs to think about what they'd do if they had to take their cat to the vet today, tomorrow etc and how they'd fund it.  If you're a regular at a vets and always pay your bills they may consider letting you pay in installments but the best time to ask about that is before you need it.  It's all too easy to just hope that they won't get ill, but they do and it's rarely at the most convenient time for us (like right after payday).  I think cats are wonderful companions for anyone elderly, ill or disabled and can give a real motivation for getting out of bed in the morning, but the cat's needs still need to be paramount.  They deserve nothing less.

Of course I'm preaching to the choir on here as I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't put their cat's need first and wouldn't find the money if need be.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 17:21:02 PM »
Think they must get CP and PDSA confused... !

Even the PDSA is not open to everyone on benefits. There is a PDSA hospital in Sheffield and Derby but round here you cannot use them and there is only one vet who will accept PDSA (one pet per family) and then it only covers certain postcodes.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 16:21:09 PM »
Think they must get CP and PDSA confused... !

I don't think people realise how much it can cost to keep pets - I thought programs like Animal Hospital etc would help but maybe some people just think that will never happen to them...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 16:04:05 PM »
who don't believe in neutering/spaying and also believe that the CP should pay all their vet bills even if they're earning enough to pay them themselves -

You are so right, what tdon't understand or more usually don't want to understand is that when people give us donations it is for CP cats to help cats that have no one. It is misappropriation of funds for us to use that money on owned cats and we could be in serious trouble.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 14:33:27 PM »
I agree with Em. I don't have much money coming in at all, but I get mild depression. When I was younger it was MUCH worse and my cats were my motivation to get up in the morning. I hope I'm giving them something in return.

I think some people know how to be responsible and some don't. If any of my animals need anything, I'll find a way. Even if it means going without something myself.

All my cats, except one(the first arrival),were given to me by people who either (a)couldn't find a home for them or (b)couldn't be bothered to train them/care for them.

I never take for granted how lucky I am to share my home with such wonderful creatures. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 14:11:11 PM »
That's why I said it's not black and white - I think it's one of those areas where you simply can't generalise, as I'm sure you know - you must meet all sorts. It's a tough issue as it's so subjective, there are a lot of people out there who don't believe in neutering/spaying and also believe that the CP should pay all their vet bills even if they're earning enough to pay them themselves - I think that kind of person should have their animals taken away as they clearly don't grasp the concept of responsibility.  It's an education thing too, it should be taught in schools... or (even better) by parents. 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 14:00:18 PM »
and I think you'll find there are an awful lot of purrs members who are on benefits or low income.

Possible so and just because a person is on a low income or benefits it should not bar them from having a pet. However they do need to be responsible for that pet and I am sure the people who post on here are. if you knew the number of calls I get a week from people asking me to pay the vet bill  for a sick pet you would be gobsmacked. I often get calls from people in such circumstances who have up to 6 cats already and want another, some of those very people have  rung me to ask for help paying a vet bill. That in my opinion is irresponsible.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 13:51:35 PM »
I dont think it is as cut and dry as that though - I had no intentions of getting a cat when my neighbours asked me to take one on. I said yes with no idea of the costs involved, all I knew was the cat was in danger of losing her life

I did write, I appreciate there are exceptions when someone has taken in a little one to save its life.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 14:00:40 PM by Ela »

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 13:42:42 PM »
Incidentally though, I have to agree with Desley - I don't think it's black and white. Some people would never pay their expensive vet fees no matter how much money they had, and some people would sell their souls if it meant their cats got the best care. I know that most, if not all people on this forum fall into the latter category, and I think you'll find there are an awful lot of purrs members who are on benefits or low income.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 13:37:04 PM »
In all honesty if people cannot afford to have the little ones 'done' how on earth are they going to manage if the pets are ill. I appreciate there are exceptions when someone has taken in a little one to save its life. but so many people adopt a cat/dog and just cannot afford all that comes with it.

I totally agree with that Ela,
I know it sounds terrible but owning a pet is a "luxury" and should only be taken on if you can afford it properly.

It's not a luxury to me. I suffer (albeit mildly now) from bipolar disorder, and have wildy erratic self esteem. The fact that I always had to get up to feed the cats, change the litter, let them out etc is what kept me going on days when I would otherwise have just stayed in bed and stared at the wall. They cuddled me when no-one else was there and kept me going through the last 12 years. I have never needed medication because I have my cats and their unconditional love. And in return, if I needed to find a fortune to pay for their care, I would - somehow.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 13:14:44 PM »
I dont think it is as cut and dry as that though - I had no intentions of getting a cat when my neighbours asked me to take one on. I said yes with no idea of the costs involved, all I knew was the cat was in danger of losing her life. If someone had said to me that in the 9 weeks I had her she was going to cost me over £300, i would have said I couldn't manage it, yet I did (did involve having to raid the penny jar and arrange an overdraft though). And if someone had told me that by only taking on oldies I Would have spent around £3k in 4 years just at the vets (and I think that excludes flea and worm treatment), never mind food and litter, I doubt I would have done it, yet we have managed, and the majority of them have had longer than they would have had otherwise.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 12:58:29 PM »
In all honesty if people cannot afford to have the little ones 'done' how on earth are they going to manage if the pets are ill. I appreciate there are exceptions when someone has taken in a little one to save its life. but so many people adopt a cat/dog and just cannot afford all that comes with it.

I totally agree with that Ela,
I know it sounds terrible but owning a pet is a "luxury" and should only be taken on if you can afford it properly.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:49:10 PM »
I can see where you're coming from with that Ela, but when I got my boys back in 1994, I was unemployed. The CP helped me to get them neutered (after the RSPCA said I may as well just have them put down if I couldn't afford to get them vacc'd!! >:() - they gave me a £5 voucher per boy. The fact that I had the boys gave me an incentive to get on the job ladder and head upwards. I was very very lucky in that they are both such healthy boys, in fact if they didn't get into fights just for fun they'd never go to the vet except for check-ups. They've stayed with me through thick and thin, I've never even had to keep them in when we've moved house!

Sometimes your cats are all you've got.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:53:19 AM »
The 4 million is from central funds many branches also fund campaigns themselves, also some like us where people cannot pay  at all or only a little pay the rest. In all honesty if people cannot afford to have the little ones 'done' how on earth are they going to manage if the pets are ill. I appreciate there are exceptions when someone has taken in a little one to save its life. but so many people adopt a cat/dog and just cannot afford all that comes with it.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 07:43:47 AM »
I am glad they are finally increasing the costs - people still have a lot to find though, but at least not as much as before. Fingers crossed more people can afford to have it done now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
NEUTER/SPAY VOUCHERS
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 09:24:17 AM »
Cats Protection spend £4000000 a year on neutering/spaying. This year they have increased the value of the vouchers to £26 spay, £20 neuter. All branches will receive a yearly grant to pay for the neuters/spays, we have been given initially £13580 but all branches can ask for extra for Branch campaigns, assisting with feral colonies and multi household cats.

Link to CatChat