Author Topic: Katalax v lactulose. Help please.  (Read 10639 times)

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
Re: Katalax v lactulose. Help please.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 08:26:59 AM »
Henry is tiny too so that probaly doesn't help. Still no poo just lots of sick and a tired mummy who slept on the couch to keep an eye on him. Going to try another feed spiked with katalax til I can find a chemist open on Sunday.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:20:45 AM »
Forest gets bunged up very quickly with his narrow pelvis so he actually has Defurr-Um hairball paste, which is originally to help with furballs but it works a treat on him and he loves it.  I put a sausage of it on his food every meal and that is the first thing he goes for, I think it has a malt taste, but there again he also takes his katalax with ease on a bit chicken (he has to have both daily  :)).  When he gets really "stuck" we move on to the lactulose but he doesn't like that at all.

I think Slippery elm can be used for both diarrhoea and constipation, which reminds me I must send my supply to DD. :doh:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:13:44 AM »
I use Lactulose on Molly, as she hates Katalax but will happily eat LActulose mixed in with her food - that and Plaque Off are the only two things she will tolerate in her food.
Gill, I think SEB might be like pumpkin, and useable for both, although I have used it for diarrhea, and it is recommended in CRF cats to help with stomach acid
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 06:44:19 AM »
Dragan used to have both Katalax and Lactulose and I found Lactulose to be far more effective.  He had it daily.  Vet also prescribed Peridale which is supposed to help but didn't. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 03:16:25 AM »
Gillian is that right about Slippery Elm Bark? Cos thinking back to lesleys thread about Tarka I thought it was used for the opposite..............please correct me if I am wrong.

Just done a search on Purrs and Tarka was given SEB but have also seen another thread where lactulose and SEB are mentioned together for Swampy so have to admit I am now totally confused.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:24:31 AM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 00:51:08 AM »
Thanks guys, if lactulose can be given every day in small doses I might do that, prevention is so much better than the cure.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Katalax
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 00:39:40 AM »
Trying to get my Henry to poop. He gets constipated a lot which the vet has said probably has to do with his CRF.

I've heard of lactulose mentioned for the same thing but unsure of dosage etc??

This is taken from felinecrf.org
Lactulose is probably the most popular treatment specifically to prevent constipation on the Feline CRF Information list. It is a syrup of long chain indigestible sugars (derived from lactose, a milk sugar) that pulls water into the colon and softens the stool. Lactulose is available OTC in Europe and Canada, but requires a prescription in the USA. Lactulose is a "dose to effect" treatment, so you should start with a low dose, and work your way up only if necessary (so as not to cause the opposite problem of diarrhoea). A possible starting dose is 0.5ml once a day, but this may need to be adjusted with your vet's approval; Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook says that cats may be given up to 1ml per kg (0.5ml per lb) of bodyweight per day. It does take a couple of days for lactulose to work, so do not give too much too soon. I found out the hard way that, if you syringe it in to your cat's mouth, it's a good idea to wipe your cat's chin with a damp cloth after using it, because, being sugar-based, it is incredibly sticky. You may find it easier to mix the lactulose with food; some people use a little babyfood each day for this purpose.

This is the whole article if you want to read more http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#constipation

Slippery Elm Bark is also supposed to be good for constipation.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Katalax
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 00:39:21 AM »
Think you need to change title of this to Katalax v Lactulose ? Help please.

Jusy go to your origainal post and press modify and then change title.

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
Katalax v lactulose. Help please.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 00:26:50 AM »
Trying to get my Henry to poop. He gets constipated a lot which the vet has said probably has to do with his CRF. It only happens maybe once a fortnight but when it does he can spend all night trying to go, throwing up after each failed attempt and going off his food. Like I said I have brought this up with his vet and she gave us some katalax which he just won't take. It's been on his paw which he keeps wiping on the chairs and because he is off his food he won't take it in his food and arm is sporting some lovely teeth marks and scratch marks from my unsuccessful attempts to put it straight in his mouth.

I know it will be over soon, he will do a lovely big poo and the sickness and no eating will stop but he always looks like he is so much pain, does anyone have any other ideas on either how to get him to take his meds or anything else that might do the trick next time around? I've heard of lactulose mentioned for the same thing but unsure of dosage etc??
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 00:46:27 AM by Sheli_80 »

Link to CatChat