Author Topic: Charlie off colour AGAIN  (Read 7949 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Charlie off colour AGAIN
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2008, 10:17:27 AM »
brilliant news about charlie - hope both of you have a relaxed summer in the garden!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »
Brilliant news C....Im so pleased that Charlie and yourself are now getting some relief.....what a lovely meowmy you are and Charlie was truly lucky to have found such a great, caring owner!  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2008, 22:21:59 PM »
Sending you and Charlie lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2008, 22:15:38 PM »
I am so pleased that Charlie is nearly back to normal, what a great relief  ;D

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2008, 21:00:13 PM »
I'm so happy for you and Charlie Chrissie that today has been so good. You must feel so much lighter seeing your little lad as he should be.
My pet's are my world.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2008, 16:56:04 PM »
I can't tell you how pleased I am to be able to report that Charlie is 99% back to being Charlie again.  He has had a nice afternoon chasing Da Mouse and stamping on his bubbles in the garden.  He is his usually affectionate self and has not climbed on the kitchen units at all.  His food intake has decreased dramatically, he isn't over grooming and has stopped licking his lips. 

We obviously are both so much less stressed it's wonderful.  I will still collect the Zylkene on Monday though and keep it handy just in case.  Fingers crossed we are over the hurdle.

Thanks so much to everyone who has supported me through this rotten week.

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2008, 20:30:02 PM »
Thats good news from your vets visit, I'm glad she has help you to feel better and  I know problems are not solved but at least you are getting help. With more plants in the garden it will give Charlie areas to hide if he wants to and this too may make him feel happier, at lest he wouldn't be on show all the time.
Glad your neighbour can see things from your side now.
My pet's are my world.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2008, 20:26:08 PM »
So pleased that Charliew is fine healthwise and your vet sounds very sensible and ubderstanding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,time to chill  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 20:20:16 PM »
18' square thats fine, still room to plant lots of things, in fact the more the better in a small garden, in terms of things for cats to do, explore etc. Its a bit like what they say on all the gardening programmes and in gardening books - about planting so's you don't see the whole garden in one look - same for cats I think. Good idea about the catnip, valerian and lavender, bet he's been nibbling away at the catnip! Glad your'e feeling less stressed  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 17:51:08 PM »
Thanks very much Gillian.  I would love to do my garden like you suggest but it is only 18' square!  The "lawn" is now in place and Charlie loves it.  I have planted him some catnip, valerian and French lavender (which was a suggestion in Your Cat mag) and he is enjoying that.  I can't believe the difference in him since we came back from the vet.  He has been affectionate again and has had a good chase round the garden with his Da Mouse.  I am trying to leave him out on his own for a while without rushing out every so many minutes to check on his well being.  Obviously the reduction in my stress has been noticed by him.

I love your cat tree.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 17:11:32 PM »
I'm so glad you are feeling better about it all, and that Charlie is fine healthwise  :hug: I'm sure the Cystaid and Zylkene will help matters. You are probably wise to leave the coronavirus test for a little while in the circumstances, give him a chance to get a bit more laid back! His titers werent all that high as you say, and hopefully next time you test there will be improvement - my Gwynnie's titers were 2,500 when she was poorly, I havent retested since, as I have no concerns about her health now the way you have with Charlie.

I was just looking at the thread about your catproofing again, and noticed you were having the slabs taken up and grass put down, I would think that will be nicer for Charlie. You could also make some more planting areas so you can plant up with shrubs, grasses and my favourite - bamboos, etc - all of which will create more interest for Charlie - if you want any tips for planting I've got loads of ideas, feel free to ask. The grass that my cats like, because they can get right amongst it, is Phalaris (also called Gardener's Garters - dunno why!) its really easy to grow, and you only need one small piece to get many, many plants. It can get a bit untidy, so late summer, it can just be hacked right down, only to grow back neater and more compact for the rest of the season.

Its the one in the bottom left hand corner of this pic. I have it in loads of differnt parts of the garden, and every plant has come from just one tiny offcut initially!:

Plus you've probably seen this one of the cat post before, but its another idea (it was just a fence post in the ground using a metpost and plywood shelves fixed with ordinary shelf brackets.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 16:51:10 PM »
Hi Sheryl

Yes I always leave the back door open for him.  That is a good idea to try with Sophie but I think the relationship between her and Charlie may be deteriorated too far now.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 16:47:26 PM »
Brilliant news that all is well physically, just need to get you both to "kick back2 and relax now

When you are in the garden with him do you leave a door open so that he can get back into the house, maybe when Sophie is eyeballing him try talking to her so that Charlie can see there is no threat.  Im sure that the vet is right when she says it will all settle down.

Take care Hun x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 16:38:54 PM »
Just back from the vets.  I am glad I took him though he did get stressed and was panting.  he did a poo and a wee in the basket on the way back.  Anyway physical health wise Charlie is fine it is definitely all stress related.  He is slightly constipated (or rather was as he shifted it in the basket) but she said this should not be stress related, more likely to be ingestion of fur due to over grooming.  He has gained weight and we now have to watch his diet as she thinks he might be comfort eating (just like his mum with the healthyfood!)  She helped me by talking me through his behaviours and why he behaved like that.  She has prescribed some Cystaid to help make sure he doesn't block  and is ordering in some Zylkene to help with his anxiety for me to collect on Monday.  She thinks it is very much a territorial thing especially with 19 cats sharing such a small area.  She thinks it will settle down given time and does think Charlie is feeling my stress too so she gave me tips on managing mine. She says we will work through it together. I have to ring her on Wed to let her know how he is getting on.  She said we could do the corona blood test again but I think it will stress him too much right now so will sit on that one for a while.  I feel soooooo much better.  My neighbour (Sophie's mum) came with me and I think has realised for the first time that her cats are the ones causing the problem and not Charlie - she said she is sending them to the cats home cos she can't stand the stress (she wont).  I suggested that if she sees Sophie on the wall eyeballing Charlie she moves her and I will squirt her.  Unfortunately she said she can't keep watching what her cats are doing!  Anyway I will carry on squirting and will try my best to relax more about it all and maybe that will remove SOME of Charlie's stress.

Thanks for listening again.
Chrissie x
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 17:08:50 PM by Maddiesmum »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 10:55:35 AM »
Best of luck for today  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 10:52:23 AM »
Chrissie, I don't know if it would work and it would most likely be expensive but you know the green jell cat get off stuff. What if you put it on strips of material and draped it round the top of the fence, might be worth a try. Other then that have the hose pipe handy and squirt her, sorry everyone I know she one of our furry friends but she is being a pain and they do say a drop of water won't hurt them.
Hope all goes well at the vet's today, let me know how you get on.
My pet's are my world.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 10:24:53 AM »
Charlie has vet appointment at 3.10 today to see if there is anything we can do to alleviate his anxiety.  For sure he can't go on like this.  Been tormented again this morning by Sophie next door who went all around the perimeter fence and kept sitting and eyeballing him.  He didn';t want his breakfast this morning, was eating grass again, couldn't summon any interest in playing and seems to have a lower energy level than normal.  He is apprehensive of me too.  I can't stand seeing this formerly happy go lucky little fella turning into a nervous wreck any longer so will see what vet has to say.  This will rule out any physical cause too

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 18:50:06 PM »
We are all here to listen and help if we can, so dont feel bad  :hug:

I think Charlie will settle in time and so will the other cats. Its just the catproofing has stopped the other cats roaming as they used to and they are angry and as you said Charlie who was used to roaming now cant and he can hear all the noises and cant see whats going on.

A garden is like a house and cats need somewhere to hide, and play and be able to sit in the sun and too move to somewhere shady so I would concentrate on making some hideaways in the garden for Charlie and somewhere high that he can see over the fence say from centre of garden, where the other cats cant bother him.

Ignore your idiot neighbour and I know tfrom experience that neighbours can be so hurtful but Charlie is just trying to be happy in his own patch.

Also if I have remembered correctly Charlie has been neutered since he came to you so maybe this is another reason that he is distressed over the other cats cos he doesnt feel so able to cope with harrassment noe he has moved into a gentler lifestle  ;D

I am really sure Charlie will settle and think the idea of getting him tested again is a good one and maybe if he does come up clear he could have a friend  :hug: :hug:

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 14:06:01 PM »
Glad Charlie loves his new tree, money well spent. As others have said this is all new for Charlie and it will take him a while to settle. Shame in a way this change didn't happen over the winter time it may have been a bit easier with most cats curl up by the fire. Still try to stick with it Chrissie and try to put a deaf ear on when "well meaning" neighbours give you their advice.
It's not burdening, you know what they say a problem shared is a problem halved.
My pet's are my world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 13:10:28 PM »
My mum has a former stray, he lived in her hedge for a while after being left behind when the owner moved.  He has never lost the habit of clearing his plate in one sitting, grazing he doesn't do!  Charlie has taken on a lot of change lately, give him a bit of time I'm sure he will settle into his new routine once he is sure it is forever

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 13:05:47 PM »
His score was 326 not very high I know but all things considered he has had a phenomenal amount of stress with being a stray, finding a home, being blood tested, being neutered, being confined indoors, going into the cattery and now being allowed out but confined to the garden.  Also with all this bitching between cats and tormenting of Charlie by Sophie and bully cat plus I never ever realised how noisy our neighbourhood was with screeching schoolkids, creaking buses with squealy brakes, heavy traffic, dustbins being dragged around, people in general etc.

Think another prob is that he can hear all these noises but can't actually see where they are coming from.  Anyway he is chilled out on the dining room floor now having had a good play with Da Mouse and his new cat tree which is much more stable than his other one. 

Another worry really I suppose is getting him tested again will cause him more stress.  I am tempted to just see how things go for a week or two and see if it all settles down again.  Don't know if I can cope with the stress of seeing him stressed though.  And this eating of his, it is ridiculous and he is going mad for food every couple of hours.  Don't know if this is related to feeling threatened/territory etc.

Thank you all so much for your patience, I do feel I am burdening everyone else with my problems and have to admit to being hurt by what my neighbour said about Charlie.  My daughter said the same as Sue it is her cat causing one of the problems.  Charlie is doing nothing wrong really.  Just trying to play and enjoy the sunshine in his own garden. 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
He was tested on 8th Feb and I got the result about a week later.  Vet said to re-test after 6 months but I did mention it to the emergency vet who said not to bother as the levels go up and down so it wouldn't tell them much

His cat tree came and I think he likes it, he is playing on it in the dining room at the moment as it is too heavy for me to take outdoors unaided!

If you test the levels of a period of time it will at least give you a picture and yes, its true levels will fluctuate, BUT, the titers can go right down to zero which would mean he is clear, and that, at least, is going to put your mind at rest. If I remember rightly from Dr Addie's site, even if the levels remain high or at a certain level for a few years, they can still spontaneously become coronavirus free. Can you remember what his titer was?

Glad he likes his new cat tree, I think adding new objects is good for cats' curiorsity - this could cost you a fortune LOL!  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »
mine love being high up, I'm sure it will help - never worry about sounding paranoid, you're a caring owner

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »
He was tested on 8th Feb and I got the result about a week later.  Vet said to re-test after 6 months but I did mention it to the emergency vet who said not to bother as the levels go up and down so it wouldn't tell them much

His cat tree came and I think he likes it, he is playing on it in the dining room at the moment as it is too heavy for me to take outdoors unaided!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 12:04:08 PM »
Sheryl, Chalie has coronavirus.  Vet advised against getting another cat

When were his titer levels last tested Chrissie? It would be worth re-testing as Lucky&JJmum suggested, because you may find his levels have gone right down and may even be zero now. Just because he's had high titer levels, doesnt mean they will stay that way. I know some cats do continue to have high levels, but unless you do regular tests over a period of time you won't know one way or the other.

I think you've hit the nail on the head about the change in the garden boundaries affecting territorial behaviour in neighbouring cats - I think its just going to take a little while for everything to settle down again. It sounds like putting food treats round the garden for Charlie went down well - I'd continue with that, maybe not every day, but just now and then to keep him interested, and in different places too.  :hug:

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »
Hi Chrissie, hope the new cat tree will help Charlie boy settle better, as for your neighbour ******* sorry but surely finding him another home isn't going to help his stress levels. As for being a trouble again****** most pets come with a few problems , OK not all the time but there are times.
Charlie isn't the problem it's the other puss cats that are making his life difficult, so instead of them saying you find him a new home what about them? Don't think they would like you suggesting that do you? so how do they think you feel. OK I get off my soap box now.
As for his coronavirus, I'm afraid I don't really know anything about that, can you not have him recheck to make sure it hasn't got any worse? At lest then you know one way or another if things have gotten worse in that area.
Take care, you know where I am if you need to get things off your chest.
My pet's are my world.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 10:02:41 AM »
Sorry Chrissie, I must have missed a post somewhere. 

Take care Hun xxx huggles and positive vibes for Charlie xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 09:48:32 AM »
Sheryl, Chalie has coronavirus.  Vet advised against getting another cat

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 09:33:51 AM »
I may have missed something Chrissie but what is making you think of FIP?

Charlie was a stray and his whole way of life has changed (for the better) and it may just be taking him time to ajust to all the changes.  Does "bully cat" belong to anyone? Have you thought of maybe getting Charlie a friend?

Take care and big  :hug: xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 07:19:15 AM »
Well he is not happy that's for sure.  His behaviour has changed quite a lot.  He was a happy carefree boy but now he is on constant alert.  He can't concentrate on a good game of Da Mouse for long (very unusual).  The night before last he was manic all night (again very unusual as he usually sleeps right through the night without a peep).  He is climbing on places he doesn't usually - yesterday the top of the kitchen units, this morning the mantlepiece.

He spends a good deal of his time watching for Sophie next door and the bully cat.  This morning we heard a cat scream, no doubt being attacked by bully boy and this has set him on edge.  As I speak he has parked himself on top of the kitchen units again and it is very difficult for him to get down.

He is grooming himself non stop and constantly licking his lips. 

I know I am stressed because I am anxious for his well being.  He has stopped eating grass the last two days nor has he been sick.  He seems to want more food though.

My main concern is that I have read on the net that stress can push the coronavirus into FIP.  I think that is what is making me so anxious.

I dont know what else I can do to reduce his stress.  Yesterday I put treats round the garden for him to find, gave him some chicken out there.  Took one of his favourite boxes out for him to play in and at one point he did relax enough to sleep stretched out. 

Bully cat hasn't been around too much in the daytime but my neighbour saw him trying to push his way through the netting the night before last.  Sophie has now taken to constantly sitting behind the netting staring and hissing at him.  Charlie can't really do much as if he does get to the top of the fence to tackle it he has to hold on with both feet!  I was out last evening but when I came home Sophie was sitting there and Charlie spent the rest of the night agitated.  My neighbour told me yesterday that Charlie is nothing but trouble.  She said that maybe I need to think about rehoming him. 

I am telling myself it will settle down and trying my very very best not to get stressed but you can't help what you feel.

I have ordered him a new cat tree for the garden which has a nice hammock and a higher sitting pad.  This is due to arrive today

I am wondering if the cat proofing has done something to alter territorial boundaries for the neighbourhood cats as they have always lived in relative harmony until now.

I have looked up stressed cats on the net and quite honestly Charlie is exhibiting much of the behaviours.  He has also started to be destructive ripping into his boxes and shredding loo roll and kitchen roll.  I know the latter is done by many cats but he has never done it before.  He has also become more aggressive with me, biting me if I pick him up and attacking my ankles (he used to do this but stopped and now has started again).  Sorry for long ramble but it helps to get it off my chest and share my worries. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 08:22:34 AM by Maddiesmum »

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 23:52:31 PM »
Hi Chrissie, I'm sorry to read your getting yourself so stressed out about Charlie. I think you may be right when you say about looking out for things after Dragan. I think we get so use to looking for something we tend to see things that are not there. All we ever done is worry and it just comes as second nature.
Lucky will often eat grass and then sick it all up again. One of our dogs use to eat  grass then bring up yellow green bile.
I know what you mean by that gut feeling that something is wrong but I'm sure your just seeing things that are not there. Do you think Charlie is as upset by these other cats as you think or could it be your thinking he is feeling this way.
We get ourselves so worked up  by our pets don't we, still just shows how much we love them.
Came on Chrisse sit back with a glass of wine and try not to worry so much (forget for once about the TV saying how many units it makes) It is still all new to him, he has had a lot of changes in his life of late and the best change was finding you.
My pet's are my world.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 11:23:46 AM »
Its our job to worry about our furbabes, I'm still more than a litle paranoid with Maxy at the moment with his kidneys, watching him like a hawk and worrying over every little thing he does ........ it just shows how much we love them  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »
Big hugs  :hug:  :hug:

I can understand you worrying and please dont think of yourself as pathectic, we all worry about our furbabies.

Get better soon Charlie xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »
Aww Maddiesmum  :hug: :hug: sounds like you're all having a stressy time of it!

With the grass thing, when Jess and Milo go out the both scoff grass all the time, Milo was sick at the weekend in the garden but we're not too concerned.

:hug: :hug: to you

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 09:15:43 AM »
I think Gillians may be a good idea, my lot love sitting in the apple tree and luckily it is far enough away from the catproofing to not be a problem, maybe a cheap cat tree or something that you wouldn't mind getting wet?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 23:11:29 PM »
I know I am not helping the situation by being so stressed.  I think some of it comes from the fact that the last nine years were spent looking after old and sick pets. 

You must all think I am really pathetic  and I actually feel pathetic,

We don't think that at all  :hug: and we are all here to listen and try and help if we can  :hug: Its not been long since you catproofed the garden if I remember rightly and it will take a bit of getting used to for Charlie, hopefully he'll be a bit more settled soon. Has he got something high to sit on out in the garden? You know how they like to be up high (makes them feel more superior I think LOL!) - I don't know what you think, but he might feel happier and more 'in charge' being able to get up really high (obviously not right next to the catproofing boundaries) so he can keep a lookout on the other 'patrolling' cats.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 22:40:08 PM »
I have blocked the bottom of the gate.  Sophie from next door sits on the wall that adjoins the fence, behind the netting and stares at him fpr ages.  She used to do this with Dragan who was old weak and vulnerable and it made him nervous.  Charlie then tries to stalk her and climbs to the top of the fence just below the netting.  She then has a go at him through the netting.

I know I am not helping the situation by being so stressed.  I think some of it comes from the fact that the last nine years were spent looking after old and sick pets.  My dog was ill from age 12 to 17 with heart trouble and then Dragan was ill for four years with his pancreas.  Even though I can rationalise why I feel the anxiety it does not help me to shift it.  I try my very best not to appear stressed and anxious in front of Charlie but feel sad that he cannot enjoy  peace in his own garden.  It;s very difficult as there are only nine houses on my side of the avenue and there are 19 cats and one across the back.

I only rang the vet after he was sick yesterday morning and this morning.  He was so desperate for grass this morning that he went out in the pouring rain and he hates the rain.  I rang because I don't want to take him unnecessarily as that is more stress.  However, my daughter also said to me just now that she thought his tummy looks bloated and my friend said it completely out of the blue.

You must all think I am really pathetic  and I actually feel pathetic, but the reality of life right now is that we are both stressed.  I do squirt Sophie when she eyeballs at him but this causes me and my neighbour to be at odds, or will do soon.  My neighbour doesn't like me squirting Sophie in case it scares her onto the busy road.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 22:19:02 PM »
Definately you feeling so stressed will not be helping him cos he will pick up on that.  :hug:

Now where the other cats are eyeballing him at the bottom , cant you put up some plnaks of wood to cover any gaps so the other cats cant do it and do you have a water pistol or just an empty squezzy bottle cos a quick shot of water will deter them.

I think you need to stop worying about Charlie and the grass eating cos really dont think its a problem. See links below and in fact indoor cats are often encouraged to eat grass.

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/cat-health/catseatinggrass.cfm
http://www.moggies.co.uk/behaviour.html#grass
http://www.pawsonline.info/grasseating.htm
http://www.cisforcats.co.nz/a-z/health/healthpages/why_do_cats_eat_grass.htm
http://www.thedailymews.com/articles/kittygrass.htm

I dont know why your vet said what he/she did but I havent found anything that says eating grass is other than good.

Please try to stop worrying about gorgeous Charlie cos he is just being a cat, but if you can stop those other cats watching him that will be good.

If Charlies tummy was bloated your vet would have noticed, so please try to stop looking for things wrong with him cos he sounds absolutely a normal cat  :hug: :hug:

If he has any edgyness its prob cos he was a roaming outdoor cat who has been confined indoors and now has cat proofing and those other cats are annoying him. Just give him time to settle and stay away from the vets unless he really needs to see one and am sure he will settle jusr fine  ;D

You love him and if you think back you werent sure you would keep him but now he is loved so much you are worrying about him and getting stressed. Stop slow down , deep breathes and convince yourself that Charlie is not ill, you dont have to stress him out and if you can block out the peering noses , that will be a bonus  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 21:11:27 PM »
I don't know what to think anymore.  I am extremely stressed about things in general.  Charlie is anxious and stressed due to the neighbourhood cats patrolling the perimeter of his catproofing.  Next door's cat had a go at him through it tonight after sitting and eyeballing him for ages.  WIth this corona virus I am on pins re him getting too stressed.  He has recently had diarrhoea, the emergency vet trip when he couldn't pee and now this.

I have tried everything I can think of to reduce his stress levels, feliway, rescue remedy, playing with him in the garden to make it enjoyable and to distract him from his anxieties but even my friend who came round earlier noticed how on edge he is in the garden, even when playing.  She also said she thought his tummy looked bloated. (she has cats herself)

I don't want to be over neurotic about it but I can't help what I am feeling.  I don't understand why the vet would say this if it wasn't true.  Charlie always eats grass before his breakfast but this has only been happening for the past few weeks and it is only yesterday and today he has been sick after it.

I think the whole catproofing thing has stressed him more than being an indoor cat.  He can hear the sounds but can't see them and the cats sitting above him eyeballing him aren't helping matters.  I don't think I am helping matters either by feeling anxious and stressed but try as I might I can't stop
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 21:13:00 PM by Maddiesmum »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 21:01:45 PM »
Thats why milly has to eat small regular meals. I cant free feed her either as she pigs and throws that up too  :tired:
I cant remember what they call it  :-:

Link to CatChat