Author Topic: biting me  (Read 1795 times)

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
Re: biting me
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »
It's a shame I posted this. Theres me worrying and the cat that done the bitting passed away:(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 07:24:39 AM »
really glad someone else posted on this subject as we have problems with frankie biting,

sam, that link is brilliant (feel like such a bad parent now!).  seems we made the fatal mistake that hands and feet are toys!

hx

When the boys were babies and learning boundaries I used to blow quite hard in their face if they were biting or scratching.  This distracted them enough to stop the biting/scratching but didn't frighten them at all or have a negative effect.  I combined this with squeezing their paws so their claws retracted whilst repeating the word 'gentle'. 

It really worked, I now have two big boys who can still have a rough and tumble playfight with me but don't use their claws or bite.  I had the boys from 10 weeks so there is plenty of time for little Frankie to learn  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 23:42:01 PM »
Jameson will roll on his back and wiggle - which I used to think meant he wanted fusses and I often massaged his ears or stroke his tummy just to get a nip, now I realise he is being cheeky and wanting playtime!!
Especially when we're out in the garden, he'll stroll in and roll on his back and wiggle and that's when I have to go and get.... Da Bird.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 23:42:41 PM by tigerbaby »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline maccat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:32:07 AM »
really glad someone else posted on this subject as we have problems with frankie biting,

sam, that link is brilliant (feel like such a bad parent now!).  seems we made the fatal mistake that hands and feet are toys!

hx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 18:15:14 PM »
This link may be of interest:  http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/aggression.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 16:39:21 PM »
yeah i think he wants to play etc lol

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »
With my lot it's definitely a cue to play :)  Have you ever noticed how two cats who like each other will start off licking each other, and soon after it descends into a pile of fur tumbling around on the floor (play-fighting)?

The thing you need to be careful of, though, is much as you want to, not to engage in direct playfighting with him as they get into the habit and sometimes they can get quite rough!  Ow!  Plus, if your cat is ever around children they could be quite dangerous if they try to playfight young kids.  I made this mistake with Shanti, and if (god forbid) she ever needs to be rehomed there is NO way on this earth that she would ever be safe with small children.  She is such a loving puss, but also loves her fisticuffs!

Some cats will nip to say they've had enough, whilst others will give 'love bites', which are gentle nips that they 'hold' for a few seconds.  I'm afraid it will be up to you to decipher what your cat means, but their eyes and the rest of their body language might give you a few hints :)  A wagging or twitching tail suggests they've either definitely had enough (although this would likely be accompanied by the cat trying to get away) or, more likely, that they would like a bit of rough and tumble.  Wide open eyes or laid back ears - same deal.  If the cat seems relaxed then it's most likely a little love nip!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:24:54 AM »
Max often does this when we're having a cuddle, then we have a play doing 'fight bites' and then he turns on his wiggly waggler, so for him its often wanting to play  :wow:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:33:51 AM »
That's often for him to say he wants to play rather than cuddle.  He could be cueing you to play with him.

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 23:12:49 PM »
oh ok then thanks lol

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 23:09:58 PM »
Yep, it's usually a sign to stop fussing. It's a "time out" thing some cats do. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 23:06:44 PM »
It's probably only his way of telling you to leave him alone for a while. Sometimes Jameson will be all snuggly and purry, I'll stroke him for ages and then suddenly he'll nip me in the hand - it's his way of saying ''no more meowmy''!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
biting me
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 23:00:14 PM »
he keeps biting me when i stroke him and hes purring he hooks his arms around me and bites me is this normal?

Link to CatChat