Author Topic: This takes the biscuit. Cat due to b PTS next wk but wants 2 adopt another now!  (Read 5700 times)

Offline CallieSkye

• Adult Cat
Some people just don't understand how stressful a new addition can be to a cat. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt and just say it was her way of keeping herself preoccupied and not having to deal with the loss of her other cat... but then, I generally distrust people when animals are concerned. (Yeah.. jaded and cynical.. lol Most of the time my job is more about dealing with the people than the cats!) I'd hope that if you explained how rough if could be for an ill cat to be forced to live with a newbie than that she'd understand. If she didn't seem to care then I'd definitely cross her off your list of adopters.

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
It is so difficult knowing when to get another cat. I ET six weeks after we lost Rosie becuase I could not bear the space. MY OH thought it was too soon but he could see how unhappy I was without a cat. ET is so different to Rosie (for a start she is 2.3kg and Rosie was 6kg!!) that she takes up a different place in my heart.

But getting a cat while your other one is ill????

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
I would be iffy after your further post Sharon, it did make me realise I dont know what I Would have done if CP had had a call about a cat while Snowy was still with me, as I did put the feelers out before I had decided when her time would be. As I said, the call came through a couple of hours later, but not sure what I would have done if it had come through before then. I can sort of understand her saying next week for the app as well - with SNowy, we had ended up at the vets on New Years Eve, vet said she didn't feel it was her time, but wanted to see her again on Tues, I made the decision over the weekend, and when I rang to warn them, they knew that was going to happen. Only one of my cats has actually had the appointment made purely for pts, the rest have all been booked in expecting that but hoping for a miracle.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

I could not move home without taking every piece of me.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
We had someone last week who wanted to rehome her two year old cat because she said she was moving to somewhere she couldn't take him, fair enough these things happen sometimes, only then she happened to mention that she had two 8 week old kittens aswell who suprprise, surprise she didn't want us to take! I will let you draw your own conclusions on that one  ;)

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
Good idea...the Purrs list of 'rehoming excuses'- for future reference  ;) :rofl:

ccmacey

NO NO NO! I would be spending the end of my cats days with them, not causing them distress. I would be so overcome with grief I couldnt even think of getting another asap!

I think this has been made up to get a cat asap!

Come on there must be a book of excuses by now

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Is it possible that "next week" means just that i.e. Tues after bank holiday not "in a week's time"?

I brought Dingle to vet on a Thurs and vet advised pts which happened the following Monday. This was back in 1997, she was almost 21. I don't recall questioning the delay at the time. Think I was too shocked but thinking about it now I recall it as being just the right time and I had the weekend to come to terms with it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I still don't understand an appointment for a week's time for PTS. If the cat isn'r suffering, it shouldn't be PTS and if it is, it should be PTS straight away to prevent suffering  :Crazy:

Por cat  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Your cat has an appointment made for her end and you want to bring another one into the house to trouble her in her final days?

I do not think so  >:(

I am with you, CanterburyCats  :hug:

*Edited to remove member's name and replace with her user name.  Also to modify my personal outrage a bit.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 11:27:50 AM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Ah now that is different and I agree there is something  :shify: about the situation..... :Crazy:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
she wanted a new cat before her old cat was PTS.. Indeed words were "now, today if possible! So i said what about your old cat and she said " i doubt she will mind!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Did she actually want the cat now, before her other cat was pts?  As opposed to just putting out feelers for when the time arrived?  That is wrong in so many ways, but I can understand her perhaps panicking at the thought of being without a cat.  Maybe she was hoping that a new cat would help her cope with losing her exisiting cat.  When Magpie died I was so glad I still had Jaffa at home to cuddle.  I don't know how I'd have coped if I'd had to come home to an empty and cat less house.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 19:31:12 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
I realized a soon as Kocka had been buried that I must have another cat asap, I could not cope without one in the house. It did not change my feelings for Kocka who is still my most loved cat and Misa and Sasa arrived 5 days later.....they are loved to bits too but Kocka was also my first cat and so special.

• Super Cat
Sorry folks.. But i wouldnt be rehoming to someone who doesnt think that her old cats last days should be peace and quiet and not stressful in taking in a new cat. From the callers attitude she didnt really say what the problem was, i just said i was sorry to hear that.. She didnt really seem too concerned.... I realise that people have different ways of dealing with this.. but for me.. its not right that someone shouldnt consider her existing poorly cat first.. Come back to me after but not before!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
I too am a "need a newbie straight away to help with grieving" kinda gal but I think Sharon's point is that last days of this lady's cat should not be spent having to deal with a newbie in the house. 

Teresa's point also a good one in that it seems odd that the cat is to be pts "next week" unless vet has no available appointments. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
I dont think there is anything wrong with it.....different peeps have different way's of coping!  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I think everyone deals differently with grief, some reach out for another cat straight away and others wait.

I would agree. I personally see noting wrong in the callers actions.  I would not have a problem homing if I thought I had a suitable cat. it certainly has not been unusual for us to be asked for another cat as an owner knows a cat they have may only have a short time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 16:01:25 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kenzi

• Adult Cat
It is very sad and quite shocking but maybe it is her way of grieving or maybe I am just trying to find excuses for her actions.

I think that I would concentrate on my time with the poor cat before being pts before looking for another though.
A cat is a free spirit who will come to you for affection, but only on her terms. The quicker a devoted owner understands this the faster harmony will resume.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
I can only say that I wish I was experienced enough to judge that a cat would last exactly a week. PTS she be at the right time not a day too soon nor a day too late.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I would definitely not wait after the event, after we lost Algie on the Friday I was making calls on the Monday - although before hand no, I'd be concentrating on the time I had left

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
I think everyone deals differently with grief, some reach out for another cat straight away and others wait.  I'm not sure how I would react if I didn't do rescue, I know the day Dylan got killed, I picked Billy up that afternoon, in some ways he healed my pain over those few months.  I don't think we can judge too harshly, this may the ladies way of dealing with it or it may be that she is being a bit heartless, only she knows how she feels.  I must admit when any of mine have been ill and I know it's nearly time to make a decision, getting another would be the last thing on my mind but again, not everyone is the same.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 14:15:11 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
i have to say that when I was told there was nothing more they could do for Snowy, and it was my decision when it was her time, i did say to my CP (who I was fostering for at the time) that I Would be in a position to have another oldie (before the final app had been made, or before I had even decided when it would be, it could have been quite a long time), and that if any came in, to consider me for them - the call came through 2 hours after I got back from Snowy's final visit to the vets. I did also put the feelers out when I knew it was Blackie's time (again before the final app had been made), but that was for a foster due to financial reasons. My reason in both cases is that reaching out to another needy cat is one of my ways of dealing with loss - I had to wait over a week after Blackie died, and there was a big difference in the way I felt when my next fosters came.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
My thoughts exactly Chrissie.  :Crazy:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
I am speechless too.  Does this woman have no feeling or sensitivity for her cat?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I really can't understand what goes on their heads  :Crazy:

I bet she isn't even upset  >:( - Just like me replacing my vacuum cleaner as the old one is past its sell-by.

Did she even say what was wrong with her cat?

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
I am speechless.

Teresa will empathise with you, if she sees this  :(
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Super Cat
I have just has an amazing call on the phone. Lady in Whitstable has a cat that is due to be PTS next week and she wants to take on another one know. I told her it would be nice if the cat has all the time it had left with her and not to get another cat yet.. She reallly didnt get the hint.. AMazing call... What are people thinking!!!

Makes me so angry.. i have made a note of her number and told her to ring me end of next week for which she tells me that she has run out of credit on the phone and want be able to use the mobile, so can she sort something out now...

In a nice way i said NO!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:32:40 PM by canterbury_cats »

Link to CatChat