Author Topic: Help & Advice please!!!  (Read 2153 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Help & Advice please!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »
Sounds like dementia to me. My 17 year old (dubbed Old Mog) suffers from it. It can be extremely emotionally draining because sometimes no matter hat you do, she still won't stop crying. (The usual: fuss, food, playtime....) Then other days she acts like she did when she first came to live with me 13 years ago. :tired: Unfortunately, you never know which day it will happen on!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »
Took her to the vet last night, who did a full examination, but thought blood tests weren't necessary.  His findings were that she's perfectly healthy, hasn't lost weight, no sign of thyroid problems

It surprises me that a vet would advise it is not necessary to test a 15 year old cat. Many people have their cats bloods tested at least once a year as their cat/s get older.

So many problems cannot be seen even by vets and a blood test is the only way to rule out certain problems. e.g. one of my cats looked perfectly healthy even to the vet but a blood test told a different story, she was hyperthyroid and has kidney problems. Those bloods certainly helped to give her a better quality life and perhaps  save it,  although she is on long term medication.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:01:09 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »
Glad that there's no cause for alarm with Snookie  :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline fluffysnookie

• Adult Cat
  • Princess Snookie
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:02:39 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Update on Snookie!!!!

Took her to the vet last night, who did a full examination, but thought blood tests weren't necessary.  His findings were that she's perfectly healthy, hasn't lost weight, no sign of thyroid problems and that she's simply displaying signs of early dementia and needs lots of tlc!!!

I'm delighted and  :thanks: for all your lovely comments and support  :) :) :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 19:07:18 PM »
Ahhh Liz,

Snookie is gorgeous.  Fingers crossed the blood tests show up something that can be easily "managed" or better still treated.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 19:04:37 PM »
Will post on here when we get the blood results back - I'm very afraid!

:welcome: to Purrs, Liz.  People on here know how you feel  :hug: and you will get good support and advice when you know what Snookies results are.  Try not to distress yourself with all the possibilities  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline fluffysnookie

• Adult Cat
  • Princess Snookie
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 18:43:31 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs

Does she eat alot and not put on weight?  If she does, sounds like HyperT as mentioned by Gillian and very treatable esp if you catch is early. Need to get her to a vet and blood tested. Could also be signs of dementia though as BC says. Is she due for her annual vaccination and check up as could combine in one visit.

She looks very pretty  :Luv: What's her name?

Snookie, but we call her Princess Snookie  :(

Offline fluffysnookie

• Adult Cat
  • Princess Snookie
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 18:41:44 PM »
Thank you all SO much for your advice.  I called my vet 2 days ago and she thought it might be either an over-active thyroid or dementia, so Snooks is off to the doctor tomorrow after work for some blood tests.

Fingers crossed for the results guys!  And sorry for being such a Needy Newbie!!!

Will post on here when we get the blood results back - I'm very afraid!

Liz xxx  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 00:09:58 AM »
She looks gorgeous and definately needs a vet check and could be suffering from dementia as my late cat Kocka did.

She didnt moan but she shouted most of the time but also had other problems.

She also maybe going deaf but you need to get her checked out to see if there is a problem that can be treated.

One thing and its so important if she is suffering from dementia, she needs comfort and reassurance and you do not want to be in a situation where you didnt give her enough before she leaves you, and then regret it so much.  :(

Dementia makes them so noisy, especially if they are going deaf too and cats suffer from so much of what humans do when they are old and they just need someone to love and care for them although its so hard when you have a shouting cat.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 22:52:23 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs

Does she eat alot and not put on weight?  If she does, sounds like HyperT as mentioned by Gillian and very treatable esp if you catch is early. Need to get her to a vet and blood tested. Could also be signs of dementia though as BC says. Is she due for her annual vaccination and check up as could combine in one visit.

She looks very pretty  :Luv: What's her name?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 22:40:54 PM »
Hello all you cat lovers out there - my cat is driving me insane!!!  She's about 15 and lately, she moans constantly until one of us sits down so she can jump on our laps!  It's doing our heads in!  She just wont be quiet and moans non stop.  She's healthy, well-fed, doesn't get tit-bits, and another thing is the minute someone goes in the kitchen, she's at the door moaning again :scared: :scared:

Hi and welcome  :welcome:

It would also be worth getting senior bloood tests done to rule out any illnesses that older cats are prone too, for instance hyperthyroidism (which can lead to increased appetite, vocalising, hyperactivity, but is treatable)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 19:48:39 PM »
If this is a fairly recent development she may be starting to suffer from dementia. There are a number of people on the site who have experience with this. If you change the name of your thread to something more specific, they can probably find it more easily and respond to your enquiry. BTW< Welcome to Purrs!! :wow:

Offline fluffysnookie

• Adult Cat
  • Princess Snookie
Help & Advice please!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 19:44:28 PM »
Hello all you cat lovers out there - my cat is driving me insane!!!  She's about 15 and lately, she moans constantly until one of us sits down so she can jump on our laps!  It's doing our heads in!  She just wont be quiet and moans non stop.  She's healthy, well-fed, doesn't get tit-bits, and another thing is the minute someone goes in the kitchen, she's at the door moaning again :scared: :scared:

Any advice ppl?

Link to CatChat