Author Topic: Back from holiday and no cat, cattery lose it.  (Read 31233 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Back from holiday and no cat, cattery lose it.
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 14:37:08 PM »
even just visiting early vening when things have gone a bit quiet. quite often cats seem to be able to know the sound of their owners car and of course calling for him as you walk around will help.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 13:58:29 PM »
That is a great idea. I am sure he is not far away - a trap would be great.
I have a gut feeling you'll be reunited with Harry very soon.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 13:43:00 PM »
Had you thought about putting a trap in the vicinity of the cattery with some nice juicy food inside it?  Just a thought.

:where:

That is a really good idea Yvonne

I am convinced that Harry will still be near to the cattery.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »
Had you thought about putting a trap in the vicinity of the cattery with some nice juicy food inside it?  Just a thought.

:where:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 12:15:03 PM »
The cattery owners also stated that although distressing and unfortunate, this kind of thing is common for cattery's across that land (not actually their cattery I think this is the first incident for them).

I do hear about a number of cats that do go missing from catteries, however, that is no excuse for them to use and of course they would say that it is the first they have ever lost.

I do  hope that you are soon reunited with Harry
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 12:15:26 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
Hope the cattery lose their licence, but the most important thing is Harry getting home.

I second this - once Harry is home sue the  :censored: for incompetence.

Are the people that run the cattery getting on in their years???. It just seems that all they are interested in is the money not the wealfare of the cats.

I boarded Beau & Thai with one like this, they only went there together twice, Beau died through FIP and Thai went once on her own. I hated the place and then moved them to Cramar Cat Sanctary ( yes they have boarding too - not putting them up for re-homing  :)  )

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 11:03:51 AM »
I'm so sorry; what a nightmare. I really hope that he makes it to the elderly man's to be fed. I suppose this may take some time if he's frightened and is just laying low. Hope and pray you find him safe and sound.
Hope the cattery lose their licence, but the most important thing is Harry getting home.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Tanya,

The following article on visualisation may be of interest : http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,14171.0.html

As they say .... nothing ventured nothing gained and you've got nothing to lose be giving it a go.

Come Harry stay safe and let your Mummy and Daddy get you home.  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »
 :hug: :hug: my thoughts are still with you. I just pray you find Harry safe xxx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 10:12:02 AM »
What a awful thing to have happened, I so hope Harry is returned to you safe and well  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 09:35:49 AM »
Just seen this thread, how awful for you   :hug:  I hope you have some good news very soon  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline benj

• Kitten
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 08:47:18 AM »
Thanks again for your replies, Il have to be very selective about what I say about the incident itself as unfortunately we have had to start legal proceedings.

A few people have asked how far the cattery is from our home. As the crow flies it cant be more than 3 miles.

The problem is our house backs on to acres of farmers fields. and fronts onto (about 150m from) the A55 in North Wales.
For anyone who is not familiar with North Wales, this is the main trunk road servicing the whole of the North Wales coast - very busy.

I can count on one hand the number of occasions Harry dared to venture to the front of the house.

He is a rural cat and very inexperienced with Traffic.

The A55 lies between our house and the cattery. There are only two flyovers in the vicinity and both again are busy.

The Cattery also is secluded and surrounded by farmers fields, if he headed for the fields and avoided the A55 he wouldn't be going in the right direction for home.

Harry hates being in the car, i would have thoguht there is no way he would have been able to plot a route of where he was going? he was very distressed, I just cant see how he would find his way home, there are no familiar streets or routes, just miles and miles of farmland and forest - and the A55  :(

We have been round most houses and large farms with posters of Harry.

We have heard stories of cats going missing from catteries but they have always been with the owner present, Harry hadn't seen us for three days, if (like we think) he thought we abandoned him, why would he stick around?

We are also aware of a lovely elderly gent about 1.5 miles from the cattery who is looking after 22(!) feral cats, we go there most feeding times in the evening seeing if we can spot harry, there are two lookalikes but alas no Harry yet.

:'( :( :thanks:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 08:31:38 AM »
What a horrible situation.  I hope today brings some good news for you.

I would be wary about publicly naming the cattery until you get some legal advice.  I would also try to keep on the right side of them for the moment (as far as that's possible) until Harry turns up.  Once Harry is home, then that's a different matter, but for now you need any little help that they can offer.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 07:50:11 AM »
Hope today brings good news :hug:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 06:10:57 AM »
I  am so sorry to hear about this, and best wishes for Harry's speedy return!  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 23:25:56 PM »
I can only add my best wishes to you in finding Harry and all the stuff mentioned by the others is great  :hug: :hug:

I do hope you find Harry soon and am sure he will be close to the cattery, how far from you is the cattery?

I have just remembered that cats plot areas in there heads like maps and I took my cat on holiday to Devon from London and at the first service station stop on the way back she went out with me on her harness and we were walking a long way and then I realized she was taking me back to the place that we came into the service area and trying to walk back to Devon!

Offline benj

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 21:53:09 PM »
Thank you all so much for your kind wishes for Harry's safe return and the help and advice offered to find him.  We are both really touched by the kindness shown from the members on this site.  We will continue our search for Harry and hopefully we will have some good news to report in the very near future.

:thanks:

Ben & Tanya

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 19:43:15 PM »
for a start, it would not be slander (which is verbal) but libel. Secondly the fact that it is the truth is apparently not all that relevant to the courts. I would suggest you take legal advice on that one. In the mean time, you can certainly advertise the location from which your cat was lost in general terms. I would not consider using the cattery phone number as a contact point simply because they may be discouraging to any member of the public contact them, whereas you can be more positive and receptive. Definitely take legal advice before you act ...

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 19:37:04 PM »
Hope you find harry  ;)   

You can’t be done for slander any suggestion is ridiculous they just don’t want bad press

But as it has been already said you don’t have to name them just say missing from a cattery in the area people will know never mind them just concentrate on finding them  ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 18:38:42 PM »
 :scared: Sending positive vibes for your furbabe's safe return~~~~~~~~~ :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 16:59:51 PM »
Bits still crossed for Harry's safe return, I'm with the others, I think he will still be local. If he turns up at someones door, hopefully they will take him in and call you.

Then NAME and SHAME the cattery.   They should be helping with the search, they should of gone searching as soon as they knew he was missing.

:hug: :hug:to you both. and extra  :hug: to Harry (Wait for your Mum & Dad, H. stay safe)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 16:40:41 PM »
Advertising law states that you can mention the place as long as it's not derogatory. I'm sure that this case would follow the same kind of rule. You are merely stating fact to try and get your cat back. As long as you don't say "the careless scumbags from xxx cattery let him out" I wouldn't have thought they have a leg to stand on.

I'd make sure you get your cat and then fight the legal battle though just in case.

Good luck  :hug:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 16:43:03 PM by Corporal Smokey »
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 16:00:13 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Harry :hug:

Just think the cattery ought to be doing alot more to help you >:(

Wishing you all the best with Harry's safe return :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 15:20:22 PM »
Just been having a think about this -

I wouldnt put the cattery's details on the posters you put up because the cattery might go round taking the posters down !!
I would put that there is a reward as this makes people check their sheds etc

Also you might have a problem with the legal action as normally you board at your own risk! Did you have to sign anything that said this ?

I would consentrate in getting Harry back BUT THEN go to your local papers and name and shame this cattery

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 15:18:27 PM »
 :welcome: to purrs and sorry its for such a sad reason your here  :hug:

Posters and door knocking are really important, heres a link listing rescues, just incase theres one you dont know about http://www.catchat.org/adoption/wales.html

Good luck :luck:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 15:03:42 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear Harry has gone missing. It worries me, as I'm planning on booking my Jameson into a cattery while on holiday. Cats are escape artists, more care should have been taken to prevent this.

I also have a feeling he will still be nearby. I agree with all previous posts to put up posters and inform the people living near the cattery - put leaflets through their letterboxes - ask them to check their sheds and garden nooks and crannies.

I hope you find him real soon - I am sure you will.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 14:56:09 PM »
* Just thought i would say that the cat didnt actually go missing while boarding - the owner hadnt done up the carrier properly and the cat escaped just before being put into his pen*

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 14:52:13 PM »
Oh My goodness i am so sorry

I worked at a cattery where a cat went missing and believe me YOUR CAT WILL BE NEAR TO THE CATTERY

You NEED to put where the cat went missing from, TAKE NO NOTICE OF WHAT THE CATTERY HAVE SAID you cannot be done for slander.

you need to get up LOADS of posters all around the area where the cattery is, Knock on doors of houses.

The local council will have to give the cattery its licence so also get intouch with them

Good luck, I am sure you will find Harry xx

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 13:37:13 PM »
In the 5 years or so, I was the petsearch link for Coventry there were 3 or 4 cases of cats going missing from a cattery.

Igonre the cattery, inform your local petsearcher and all vets and rescues - they can certainly be told which cattery is involved.
Print leaflets for the local population just namimg the location of the cattery - they will know who you mean anyway.
Same for an advert in the paper, maybe even contact your local nwsdesk and ask if they would do a feature with a photograph for you - again no one needs to name the cattery, but the road / area is almost as good as. Inform you local radio stations, they also can broadcast for some help.

These are all things the cattery should be doing for you and it is worth making a record of time and expense you go through.

I do hope he turns up, very often the local people are the ones who help most in this situation.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »
Hi Ben and Tanya   :welcome:  to Purrs

I agree entirely with what Sam says - do not worry about the cattery just work hard on trying to find Harry and take whatever measures you want or are necessary.

This was quite an interesting story - but unfortunately Nikki has not been on line for a while to update us:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,2498.0.html

Good luck with finding Harry - does he have far to find his way home?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 10:27:18 AM »
Hi and Welcome to Purrs,

If I was you I would have no hesitation in getting as much advertising out as possible ... you don't have to actually name the cattery simply state that he is missing, escaped from a pen on xxxx road and doesn't know the area"

Get as many flyers through doors in the local area and do an extensive poster campaign as I'm sure he will be hiding in someones garden.

I would also suggest pounding the streets and gently caling him (the best time to do this is in the evenings when it is a bit quiteter).

It might also be worth contacting your local resuces to see if they would be willing to lend a trap (at short notice) in case Harry is spotted but is too fightened to be caught.

Personally I wouldn't really give a rats ar*e what the cattery thinks at the moment .... they are NOT doing enough to assist you ... they should have called you immediately they noticed Harry was missing (how did they not know someone could have been there straight away to start the search!)  I would put all my efforts into getting Harry back and deal with them later.

I wish you lots of luck in getting your boy back and please check out the hints and tips http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4304.0.html for more ideas .

All lthe best

Sam <^..^>

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 13:35:29 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
Hi and welcome

Sorry that your first visit is in such sad circumstances.  I don't know the legal position but surely the cattery have a duty of care for boarders?  I would advertise the cat saying it went missing from such and such a cattery on such and such a date.  If you don't stunner the cattery off I am certain there is nothing they can do as it is the truth.

I would let all the local vets know, put posters up and leaflet properties in the location of the cattery.  I am sure someone on here will give you much more valuable advice but I do hope you get your poor cat back.

I am sure it is not common for cats to go missing from catteries. We leave them there for safety reasons!

Best of luck and do keep us posted.

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 10:11:23 AM »
NO it is not common for cats to escape it if was, WHY would we board them?, put them in their safe hands while we were away?.

I'd nail them to the wall.  :censored: :censored: :censored:

My thoughts are with you both and of course with Harry - guiding him safely home. :hug: :hug:
You must be deverstated.

Do you have pet plan? - you can calim with them to searches to find him. All things firmly crossed for Harry's safe return.xxxx

(You've got my mind working overtime now -worry when mine go in  :'( )

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the site, sorry its for such sad reasons.

I hope that you find Harry safe and well soon, from reading your advert, the one thing I would say is, if you get him back safe and sound, take him to the vet and get him microchipped, it really does help with reuniting lost kitties.

It sounds like the cattery is not being very understanding or helpful about this. I have a catsitter and she keeps all the insurance and microchip details in case she let the girls out and one/both of them didn't come back, she would put out adverts and contact insurance and microchipping people before we came back as well as letting us know as soon as possible.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline benj

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your advice, my partner and myself all still making extensive and exhaustive measures in the search for Harry. It may have come across from my original post that I am concentrating all my efforts on shaming the cattery. Although I admit we are both so very upset by the cattery's conduct you are right I shouldnt lose sight of the bigger picture and of course the search for Harry.

Here is a link to the advert we have put on the national pet register.

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mpi.php?pet=7659

Many thanks again.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 08:41:35 AM »
How very sad that you are not getting the help and support you need from the cattery. The important thing at the moment is searching for Harry and advertising his disappearance,you can say missing from Road name for now; hopefully he will be heading home to you. There are some wonderful tips to help find missing cats on the Lost/Found section.
For the time being dont waste valuable time chasing up complaints that can be done later.
Hope he turns up safe and well.

Offline benj

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 08:29:53 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I totally agree with your comment about door security, although in this instance that is not at question, Harry would have had to negotiate through four doors to get out the human way. It only took him one degraged outside roof panel to escape. When questioned we were told the buildings are inspected every Autumn.

Thanks again, I have already emailed the Feline Advice Beureu.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:08:47 AM »
What a horrible thing to happen. People put their trust in catteries and they should have strict security. All it takes is 2 doors. The inner door should never be opened when the outer door is. I agree that stating facts isn't slander but don't know what the legal implications are. Do they belong to FAB - if so, maybe they could advise http://www.fabcats.org/catteries/index.php - I know the main issue is getting Harry back but they really need to be accountable for the loss. They should be doing (and paying) for everything possible. Is Harry insured? - if so the insurance should help with the advertising costs but I would assume the cattery are liable for everything.

I'm pretty sure catteries have to be licensed by the local council so it would be worth contacting them.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:27:38 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline benj

• Kitten
Back from holiday and no cat, cattery lose it.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:30:47 AM »
Firstly Hi all, I know I should have introduced myself first but I'm just to worried about Harry and eager for advice, I have spent a few hours on the forum while waiting for my registration approval and it is excellent.
Although catless at the moment i hope my partner and I can console ourselves here for the time being.

My Cat, Harry, escaped from a cattery in the early hours of Saturday 10th of May. He was taken in on Wednesday the 7th and was due to be picked up on Sunday the 11th.
About 20 minutes before we were going to pick him up (9.30am) on the Sunday, we had a phone call to say he was not there and they had lost him the previous morning.

We have tried to be very patient with the owners, but communication has now broken down and we are still very much missing Harry.

I would be very grateful if you could clear up a couple of grey areas.

We told the cattery that we may put an advert in the local paper for missing Harry and we may state the cattery's name, we were advised by the cattery that this 'wouldn't be a good idea'. They are saying that if I take this route it would be slander, now I know it wouldn't, if anything it would be liable. But I cant see it is, surly it is fact?
We only want to put an advert with the cattery's name because they refused to put an advert in themselves.

Secondly, due to the actions of the cattery since Harry's escape, we wish to take legal action against the cattery. Apart from the escape itself (through the roof of the outside run) we have felt the cattery has not made nearly enough effort communicating what they are doing for to find Harry, their sincerity does not seem for Harry's and our welfare, but for the welfare of their business.

I am already contacting my solicitor, but I was wondering who governs Cattery's? Digging on the internet I have found some information that local councils govern Kennels and Cattery's, using a government act as guidance?

I need to find this information as I seriously think that the Cattery needs investigating for negligence and lack of procedures.

The cattery owners also stated that although distressing and unfortunate, this kind of thing is common for cattery's across that land (not actually their cattery I think this is the first incident for them).

Is this true? I cant find any information to back this up, just a handful of incidents in the past 10 years nationwide?

Many, Many thanks for any help or direction you may be able to provide

Thanks

Ben and Tanya

(Also I am sorry Im not sure if the plural is Catteries or Cattery's? Just went along with spell check)

Link to CatChat