Author Topic: declaw - legislation???  (Read 14277 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: declaw - legislation???
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 17:56:48 PM »
Agree - I think the Animal Welfare act makes it illegal.  It isn't listed as an exemption and it meets the definition of mutilation ("interference with the sensitive tissues or bone structure of the animal, otherwise than for the purpose of its medical treatment") so in my book that means it would be an offence to declaw a cat for non medical reasons.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 19:22:56 PM »
Thanks for that clarification and yes, if it is not listed as an exempt mutilation (which I assume includes things like tail docking sheep etc) then it is, by definition, not exempted from the law. I guess they didn't list all the possible illegal mutilations a) because I would use up too many pieces of paper, and b) because it might give ideas to people who are into that sort of thing ...

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 09:09:25 AM »
I've looked through the Animal Welfare Act 2006 ( http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060045_en_1.htm ) which prohibits mutilation and declawing fits that description. It covers England and Wales. Then there was an SI making certain procedures exempt and declawing is not on the list. The SI is The Mutilations (Permitted Procedures) (England) Regulations 2007 ( http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/uksi_20071100_en_1 ). Scotland has its own separate act and next on my list is to check the Northern Ireland Assembly.

I read the saveourbreeds link with the EU convention yesterday (by which time my head was spinning (and I am a solicitor so used to reading law) it actually says that the States ratified this convention but declawing is legal in most US states if not all and the UK has not ratified that Convention.

I think if it is illegal it is so by virtue of its omission from exemption under the above Act and SI? If that is the case I think its quite disconcerting that the laws are not more specific on this procedure throughout all areas of the UK. I'm glad now I volunteered to look further into this as one of the sites I am doing this for is based in Northern Ireland. We are a site trying to promote adoption of rescued animals and trying to bring together resources in one easily searchable site. We do have a member involved in and a section on improving of animal welfare laws and will be highlighting this on there if can't find legislation covering it better.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 22:21:05 PM »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 20:10:24 PM »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 19:54:12 PM »
WEll, unlike the US equivalent, a search on the RCVS website doesn't come up with any matches for declaw.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 19:49:36 PM »
rcvs is not a law-making organisation, only the government can do that. However the Defra legislation may only talk about livestock, so may not be relevant. What is it called fourfurballs?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 19:44:34 PM »
I thought the RCVS decided it was illegal unless for medical purposes

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 19:39:29 PM »
As far as I am aware, it is just frowned upon in the UK, rather than being illegal, and vets could be struck off for doing it, unless for medical reasons, although last time this came up, someone said it might be covered by the new RSPCA law. i haven't read it to know for certain though.
Please spay your cat

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 19:29:39 PM »
I need some more help on this subject please....I am going round and round in circles and getting nowhere fast. I read the World Small Animal Veterinary Association's Convention on Companion Animals and as far I understand it the UK and Ireland are signatories to this Convention whereby vets have agreed not to declaw. I keep seeing all parts of the UK and Ireland on lists as having made declawing illegal but I can't find any legislation which specifically makes it illegal. I checked the DEFRA site and I read through the The Mutilations (Permitted Procedures) (England) Regulations 2007 - it doesn't permit declawing so by omission did that make it illegal? I am supposed to be doing posts for a couple of other sites showing why this horrible procedure should be banned everywhere and have said would check the UK legislation for one but am really struggling. If anyone has any more info on this would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
Re: declaw
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 23:12:05 PM »
Thanks so much for the links - very informative and say it all really - just no excuse for doing it.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 16:06:43 PM »
Here you go (definitive or what?):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A25953230
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 15:58:10 PM »
I posted an excellent link about this from the BBC.  I will have a search for it and come back.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
declaw - legislation???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 15:40:10 PM »
I hope this is the right section for this - if not please move and apologies.

I would like some recommendations for links to sites showing how cruel declawing is and why its absolutely unnecessary. Does anyone have any links they would be happy for me to use. I need them to be from very reliable sources. I moderate on a couple of other pet web sites none of which are specifically cat related but on which cats are often discussed. This subject has come up a few times now and as staff we have taken the decision to post some reliable links to dissuade anyone thinking about putting a cat through this horrendous operation. I am the one looking for the links and as so many of you here are involved with cat care and welfare I thought you might know some very reliable ones that it is permissible to link to.

Any help in educating against this practice would be very welcome.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 19:21:18 PM by fourfurballs »

Link to CatChat