Author Topic: Tilly  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Tilly
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 18:36:58 PM »
Sounds like Tilly has your well and truly wrapped round her paws claws  :rofl:  and by the sounds of things the two of you are bonding well.

Just one thing ... Steve, please DO NOT EVER let Tilly out onto the balcony.  I don't want to be alarmist but over the years I have read several posts from people whose cats have fallen from balconies and suffered awful injuries (most of the fatal unfortunately).

It only takes a nano-second for her to spot a bird / bug/ or something else interesting and she could fall. 

Here is one example that sticks in my mind: http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/60612.html
http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/61387.html?1163088680
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 18:38:52 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 17:35:06 PM »
Ha ha typical red head  :innocent:
Gald shes settling down with you  ;D

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 17:15:58 PM »
More pictures!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 14:08:33 PM »
glad she is settling in, I think we all get that scared feeling at first, its another life you are responsible for so its a big deal!  glad you are feeling happier though

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 13:56:23 PM »
Sounds like she's slowly but surely wrapping you around those cute 'lil paws of hers  :Luv:

Seriously though, I'm thrilled she's settling in now, it always takes a little while for them to get used to you and their new surroundings, and it sounds like you're being fantastically patient with her, she's realising this, and is repaying you by getting more confident and becoming more affectionate day by day  :Luv:

I hope she learns to ignore the blinds though  :doh: :naughty:

Well done, think we could do with some more photos though  :wow:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 13:56:57 PM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 13:49:50 PM »
One week of Tilly!!

I must admit, at the start of her first week I started to think "what have I done"! Although I have never doubted that Tilly is a very lovely cat at heart, the second day of her stay I was definitely wondering if I'd made a mistake in offering her a home. She wanted to play all the time, wouldn't sit still.. I was happy to play but most sessions ended up with her drawing first blood. When she realised I wasn't going to play any more she turned her attention to anything string like! Already having chewed through two bits of elastic on toys she started to turn her attention to my blinds. I say mine, they're the landlords, which makes them even more precious! I think it was Monday night I hardly slept as when I turned in I left her intently trying to find a way to down the blinds.. I started to think she might not be happy here and couldn't see me being able to keep up this pace long term. So I wrote an SOS note to Evina and Sharon from Cats protection...

The next day Evina replied with a lovely long, and very thorough, email with tips and tricks on how I can better care for Tilly and myself, and also reassurance that she may not be completely settled yet. Since then, Tilly has been an absolute star!! She is becoming really affectionate and her playtime is much less aggressive. Learning to use paws instead of claws now. Tilly loves to be groomed, especially when eating, which is strange!! She loves sitting by the window and watching the world go by. Hopefully it won't be long before I can try the harness on her and see how she is on the balcony. I'm still reluctant to put her out there without it even though we are 3 floors up and yesterday I watched her back out of a jump of 1/2 a foot!! Everyday she becomes more tolerant. At the start I could only stroke the top of her head. Now she lets me stroke her head, neck, back, cheeks and even under her chin. Anywhere around the belly or legs is still a challenge!!

Tilly is in good health. Eating very well and drinking plenty. Had a good look at her teeth and gums so i will be able to tell if anything were to go wrong in the future and they looked very healthy indeed. We do still get the odd nip to verify this! She has a very funny habit of wanting to eat out of my hand rather than her bowl and although incredibly cute I am trying not to encourage it. It is a good technique for getting her to eat though. She has been using the litter tray well bar two exceptions, both of which were my fault entirely. Tilly was using the tray with the hood on so I thought I'd try the door. Without thinking I left the house in a rush and forgot to take the door off. Later that evening we found a puddle on my beanbag but luckily it is leathery so wiped straight off. Hate to go in to too much detail, but there was almost no smell which I guess means she is drinking enough! Not the best way to find out, but at least we know. After taking the hood and door off she did do it once more, but I think this was a combination of still not knowing exactly where her tray had gone and being scared of my office chair. So we have moved the tray downstairs in a private corner and (touch wood) there have been no more accidents.

In short, it was touch and go there for a while, but every day I become more sure Tilly is here to stay. Today is Tilly day! Going to put down new litter, clean the tray, clean the blanket, give her bowls a good wash and put some fish and primrose oil in her wet food. She may have to meet the hoover too..  :scared:

Anyways, if you're reading this, thank you for showing an interest in Tilly and I'll be sure to write more updates soon!

Steve

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 13:24:49 PM »
Such a pretty face  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 15:23:22 PM »
glad she is settling in

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 20:52:01 PM »
Bless her  :Luv:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 20:12:18 PM »
Tilly is gorgeous and it sounds (and looks) like she is settling in very well with you - so pleased this beautiful girl has found such a loving home.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 19:01:04 PM »
Shes just living up to the naughty torti name  :Luv:

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 13:15:18 PM »
Hi All,

Tilly is getting on well. Now eating, drinking, sleeping, playing, peeing, pooping (in a hooded tray) and more..

She is a little destructive! Tilly likes pulling up the carpet where it has frayed but I think I have trimmed all the tempting places. She also has a great distaste/like for elastic! The fishing rod we bought her lasted all of an hour. Now she just has the rod and the fish. Same with the activity centre that used to have a ball! Ah well, elastic toys are no longer on the menu..

Tilly has developed a lovely bedtime and morning routine. When we turn in she will come in and cuddle for about 15mins and then find a place of her own to settle down outside of the room. We close the door and, even though she could easily push it back open, she doesn't come in until morning. When we open the door in the morning she will come straight in if she is there and if not once she knows we're up she comes on in for another cuddle. Moments like this make the destruction worth it!

Ataching a couple of pictures from this morning!

Steve

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 22:00:24 PM »
Hi Steve,

So pleased Tilly has settled in well ... eating, drinking and using the litter tray on her first night ... she certainly sounds like she is not at all phased by moving in with you.

With regards to the aggressive playing, if it continues you might want to have a look at wizzs site at the Misdirected Aggression (Play Aggression) bit http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/aggression.html  There is also lots of other really useful stuff on wizzs site under "behaviour" which may be of interest / help to a first time cat owner slave  ;)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 17:18:06 PM »
Glad Tilly is with you now, it won't take her long to settle in I'm sure  ;D

Can't wait to see some piccies  :Luv:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 16:54:32 PM »
I put Beavis' combouts outside for the birds - Its perfect nest material asnd after the amount he has caught in his life I figure he can afford to give something back! :evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 16:03:31 PM »
Glad she is settling in well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 23:32:40 PM »
Tilly is a Tortoiseshell!! She has white, brown, ginger and black hairs!!

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 23:31:14 PM »
I'm surprised my Dylan isn't bald the amount of hair he's been shedding lately  :rofl: I can't win whether I wear light or dark clothes as Dylan's show up on my lighter clothes and Hobbes' show up on the dark ones  :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 22:31:38 PM »
I go everywhere dressed like a cat  :rofl: :rofl:

The fur that manages to get in the car, well sigh.........................  ;D

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 22:27:56 PM »
Amazed by the amount of hair that has come off her today. I went to the corner shop earlier and hadn't brushed myself off before going. Wouldn't like to think what the people there must have thought!! I guess that is the time of year and also the stress of being moved?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 22:25:57 PM »
She prabably has decided that is her bed  :rofl: :rofl:

Mine took over the laundry basket and everything in there and have now deserted it leaving fur on everything, mine all long haired  ;D

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 22:23:39 PM »
I have a tray of clothes under the bed.. She went in there for a while earlier and came out looking a bit proud of herself so had to check she didn't think it was a reaaaally big litter tray. Luckily she didn't!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 22:21:49 PM »
Well done Tilly  ;D

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 22:16:15 PM »
No problems Steve you at least took a good decision with Tilly.. I am sure after a bit of time she will settle in just fine!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 22:15:25 PM »
I am a very proud parent.. Tilly is using the litter tray!!!

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 22:14:53 PM »
I'm afraid I am going to see how it goes with Tilly first. She is not only my first FIV cat, but my first! I'm not sure I could cope with the potential cost of two either. I may be wrong, but until I've had Tilly a while I can't be sure.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Tilly is looking tired, hopefully she will find somewhere to rest soon!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 22:11:39 PM »
Just goes to show how abit of networking on Purrs and two Cp branches can work together. Tilly was with Bexley but got rehomed via Canterbury CP, Steve emailed me a few weeks ago...

Just a athought, but if you feel that you can take 2 FIVs then Steve there is one in Bristol vets (in the rehoming section) that is due to be PTS next week, just becasue the branch their doesnt rehome FIVs. You remember me telling  you about this situation. With luck Purrs people can do something to assist to help this white lad!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 22:09:39 PM »
I am sure she just needs some peace and quiet now to settle. She has a lot to adjust to and from  ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 21:57:19 PM »
Glad Tilly has had a good first day with you. 

Offline Steve&Tilly

• Adult Cat
Tilly
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 21:37:44 PM »
Hi Guys,

Tilly, a rescue cat from Bexley, was homed with me this afternoon. Very happy to have her here, what a cat! She had no nerves whatsoever and was immediately friendly to whoever came through the door. It has been a funny old evening though. For a few hours she was extremely cuddly and affectionate, but for the last hour or so she has been a tiny bit agitated. I think it is the result of a long day and indeed a long week or so for her.

She hasn't really rested in the last 6 hours and has not yet found a place to settle, despite many options! Most playing has become a little bit aggressive but it could just be the nervous tension finally being released. Let's see tomorrow after a good nights sleep. I'm sure she is missing Evina, her foster mum, too (and her two dogs). Hopefully in the morning she will feel slighty more settled and sometime tonight, without the eyes of the house on her, she'll be able to choose somewhere to call her own.

Tilly is eating and drinking well, but she is yet to use her litter tray. A present in the morning would be nice to know she has her basic needs fulfilled, so long as it's in the tray of course!!

Steve

Link to CatChat