Author Topic: What to expect from a chipped bone?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: What to expect from a chipped bone?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 20:41:04 PM »
So pleased that the xrays were clear  ;D

Sasa also a tortie had to have xrays before Christmas after she bit the vet trying to examine her and was still dopy when arriving home but still far to fast for me........sigh

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 09:12:52 AM »
Awww, I'm sure she'll come round in no time, they can do a great job at making us feel terrible by ignoring us  :naughty:

So pleased they couldn't find anything wrong  and that its nothing to worry about, and oh how they love to worry us  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 08:26:44 AM »
Aww, poor baby, I hope she feels better soon. When Tiger had x-rays last year, she was still hanging off the vets arm after the highest level of sedation, so they ended up having to give her a GA. Good luck with her weight loss.
Please spay your cat

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 19:22:38 PM »
Well Katie certainly gave as good as she got at the vets today, and lived up to her Tortie attitude  :evillaugh:

She scratched, bit, hissed and growled at everyone, they couldn't get the needle in to put in the anethetic in so had to use one in the back leg in the muscle... when I picked her up she even hissed at me  :( This is coming from the cat who follows me round like a dog, sleeps on the bed, and is the biggest softie in the world normally!

They took lots of x-rays and it turns out that they can't see anything wrong!!! It's probably a small ligament damage or knock, or the beginnings of athritis, but nothing to worry about  ;) I feel bad that I put her through it as she's barely looking at me now, but at least I know and it's kind of kicked me up the bum to try and make her lose some weight so that's a good thing!

I'm relieved, but will be glad when she's back to normal as she's still really wide eyed and her haws are really high poor thing
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 00:13:06 AM »
Good luck at vets  :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 20:50:56 PM »
Thinking of both of you with your vet visits tomorrow  :hug:

I'm sure all will be fine  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 19:42:08 PM »
Good luck - I am in the same boat, Zi is having a dental tomorrow, I have to take the food up in a bit. Will cause a bit of chaos in the morning though, as the other 4 will still expect their food, and I have to go straight to work, so will have to confine her till it is time to take her.
Please spay your cat

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 16:21:34 PM »
Wishing Katie all the best at the vets tomorrow :hug: Also thinking about you :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 14:01:19 PM »
Hi! Taking her to the vets tomorrow so it'll be starving tonight - what fun!!!

They'll do an x-ray first and take it from there. I always hate "handing" her over, but I know it's for the best (I just wish I could explain that to her!)
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »
I chipped my ankle bone in school many many years ago and it was visible in xrays but they told me at the time there was nothing they could do about chips.

hth                                 
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:07:02 AM »
Any more news on this?
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 20:58:30 PM »
Aww well that sounds like good news and the vet doesn't think that she's in pain, but I just like to know what's going on with her! I don't know how she could have done this as she never even goes outside much and is the laziest cat in the world! Hey ho I guess it's just all part of being a cat owner!  :)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 20:53:16 PM »
I don't know if its different in animals to humans, but normally if the bone is chipped in humans, there's not much that can be done, and it tends to heal itself?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 20:15:11 PM »
I dont know what can be done for a chipped bone, except maybe remove any fragments of bone that maybe causing a problem.

I maybe totally wrong but think that a chipped bone will  in time just heal itself and unless thare are fragments that need removing, the pain is coming from soft tissue damage that occurred when the bone was damaged.

Xrays may show a break or or hairline fracture, the former would probably need sorting in some way but the latter will also heal itself. The cat may need some support on the injured place until healing is complete and possibly painkillers.

So I reckon an xray will help to see if there is a problem and what can be done to stop any pain, which possibly will not need an op.

Lets hope the xray shows the cause of the problem and allows Katy to be helped without needing an op  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
What to expect from a chipped bone?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 20:06:19 PM »
Took Katie back to the vets today as her limp is still there and they think that she might have a chipped bone. The vet said that there might not be anything that they can do about it and if I didn't have insurance then it wouldn't be worth the cost, but seeing as how i've paid my excess anyway, we might as well investigate.

She's being x-rayed and if they find anything and can operate then they will. I just wanted to ask what to expect in terms of the healing time for something like this and if they cut her open, will she have to wear a collar? (the leg is the frint right one). She's been under anathetic before, but only for teeth, nothing like this *is worried*

If anyone's got any experience with it that'd be great!

Link to CatChat