Author Topic: A reminder about injured fledglings  (Read 1780 times)

ccmacey

Re: A reminder about injured fledglings
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 23:47:30 PM »
My Harry's moto is a bird a day keeps the vet away  :evillaugh:

No I hate him doing it really, I had to take a bird to be pts lats year it was sad.

There are also birds nesting in my roof!

This time he has already had numerous starlings, black birds and a pigeon, feathers all over the back garden  :sick:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 20:21:12 PM »
Any vet can pts injured wildlife free of charge, just incase anybody finds/gets brought a present thats too far gone.  :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
I know, that's the thing. There are good and bad branches.....glad yours has such a dedicated animal lover there, Alison. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »
When I went to the rescue centre I was amazed at the womans dedication to saving injured birds. She immediatly gave the one I had brought in antibiotics and although she thought its chances of surviving were slim, she thought blood poisoning had set in, she put it in a heated unit.

I know my vets call her if an injured bird gets taken in because she told me. She then goes to collect it but advises people to take them straight to her to start treatment

Js cannot believe the RSPCA again >:(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »
If I took an injured fledgling to our local RSPCA I'm nearly certain they'd PTS. When I was on placement there they had an injured sparrow hawk brought in. I asked if they needed someone to care for it (fully intending to ban the cats from the shed and let it recouperate in there) and they said no, a bird expert was coming to collect it. About two weeks later, a friend I'd made there told me she'd looked in "the book" :( and it was in there. >:(

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 23:33:44 PM »
That's funny as Kylie injured a Starling fledgling last year. One of the vets next door was just leaving work and I got him to examine it. He checked it over and said the wings were fine but it had a flesh wound - he showed me the puncture wound - he said it would be fine . He put it on the flat roof and said the mother would come for it. I went in a 5 minutes later, it had gone
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 23:34:42 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
A reminder about injured fledglings
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 22:01:27 PM »
One of the cats caught a fledgling last year and it was very slightly injured. I made the mistake of phoning the RSPCA who told me to leave it for the mother to come back.

The fledgling started to deteriate with no sign of mum so I phoned a rescue centre, who told me to bring it in straight away.

It was immediatly given an antiobiotic but sadly did not survive.

The woman at the rescue centre told me that if a bird has a cat bite try and get it to a rescue centre as soon as possible otherwise it will develop blood poisoning and die.

Your local vet may offer treatment.

Link to CatChat