Author Topic: How long would you wait...?  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: How long would you wait...?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 18:05:05 PM »
Fingers crossed you can get it under control.
Please spay your cat

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
Well we went to the vets yesterday and it seems to be very early stages of arthritis or perhaps some ligament damage  :'(

She was given anti-inflamatories and also some stuff to put in her food and we'll see how she goes in a week. If it's still there, then she'll be in for x-rays and stuff, but the vet said that it's so slight, she hopes that it will clear up with this treatment and then it's just a case of Katie losing about 1kg of weight and giving her supplements to keep her joints supple.

The vet (as always) was wonderful and it's at times like these insurance is a God send!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 20:08:23 PM »
How did it go at the vets?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 11:30:08 AM »
Good luck at the vets

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 10:21:52 AM »
Well we're booked into the vets for this afternoon so we'll see what happens then - she's still pootling around as normal but there's definately something there. I do wonder whether it's the beginnings of athritis as it tends to be worse when she's been laying down and then gets up, but I don't know whether at 8 years old she's a little bit young to get it... Anywho hopefully we'll get some answers this afternoon *fingers crossed*
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 23:49:46 PM »
I agree with others . unless you can see anything physical then give it 24 hrs and if still limping , vets asap.

Before Christmas I noticed Sasa limping and was thinking ohhhhhhh nooooooooo cos she is semi feral and would need trapping, but then  I saw her outside and she was having difficulty in moving at all, so to the vet and she had been bitten but had to be given anesthetic to be examined properly and Xrayed cos she bit the vet ............ :innocent:

So if the limp is bad or affecting movement badly go to vets .

Remember tomorrow is Friday and some vets are not open at a weekend, should that be the case, you will need to go tomorrow.

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 23:25:26 PM »
My cat had a limp on the sunday so on the Monday I took her to the vets, the vet said it looked like a bite so give antibiotics. She got worse and died 6 days later. The vet said it was some sort of respiratory problem, cat flu I think maybe?

Not saying this is what Katie has but it can happen. Hope she gets over it soon  :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 19:23:11 PM »
I will just keep a very close eye on her and see how she is tomorrow. If she was showing any other symptoms I'd be more concerned

Once again I know what you are saying and hopefully this time it is nothing to worry about but in the cases I had the only symptom before I went to the vets  was  a slight limp, on one occasion the vet said had I left it until tomorrow it could have been too late.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:03:36 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 16:42:49 PM »
a firm believer in letting a lot of minor ailments run their course. These days we worry to much about illness and hygiene.

Me too, but if you noticed them going downhill obviously a trip to the vets is necessary then!  ;)

Hope its nothing too serious!  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 15:59:49 PM »
Thanks you guys, I will just keep a very close eye on her and see how she is tomorrow. If she was showing any other symptoms I'd be more concerned, but she doesn't seem to mind me touching and feeling her leg muscles and paw...

Fingers crossed it's not anything more serious  :-[

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 14:55:29 PM »
If she is acting normally  I would leave her for 24 hours or even longer if it is only a slight limp.

If its anything nasty like a tumour then a day or so will probably not make much difference.

I do try not to worry too much and am a firm believer in letting a lot of minor ailments run their course. These days we worry to much about illness and hygiene.

Having said that its not my cat and I have been turned away from the vet a few times with a nothing wrong (sometimes to be proved right a few days later in quite a serious way).

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 13:39:58 PM »
I would also take her today, but thats because I am paranoid meowmy and always air on the side of caution

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 13:33:25 PM »
Could she have picked up cat flu even if she rarely come into contact with other cats and is up to date with vaccines?

Cat flu is airborne and that is why even indoor cats need injecting against it. Even then it does not mean a cat will not get it, but if they do usually it can be controlled and the cat can recover given medication. Otherwise as you may know it can be life threatening.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 13:34:24 PM by Ela »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 13:24:10 PM »
I would take her if no improvement within 24 hours.  One of my cats started with a limp and it turned out she had a tumour.  Hopefully it will be nothing serious but better safe than sorry

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:23:34 AM »
Could she have picked up cat flu even if she rarely come into contact with other cats and is up to date with vaccines?

(Sorry I don't know much about cat flu) x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »
I would take the little one to the vets ASAP as there is a form of Cat flu that begins with a limp and if not nipped in the it can become serious. Then again I always air on the side of caution. Having said that only once in the what must be thousands of vet visits when I noticed a slight change in a cat the vet could find nothing wrong, then 2 days later it was so ill I almost lost it, so I must have picked up on the problem before it fully came out.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:18:17 AM »
Yes, well I have to admit that whilst she's acting completely normal I think that's all I can do.... silly cat!  ;)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »
I think I would see how it goes today and if its not cleared up tomorrow take her in :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:15:15 AM »
I know its so difficult, personally I would wait till tomorrow.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
How long would you wait...?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:09:39 AM »
Hello! I've just got back from a few days away and Katie was being cat sat by her normal cat sitter. I've noticed that she's limping slightly on her front legs but don't know what she's done. My cat sitter said she didn't notice anything and to be honest it's only very sight (perhaps only something a Meowmy would see!)

I would never want people to think that I put saving money over caring for Katie, but we all know how often they get themselves into scrapes and I don't like to rush off to the vets every time as often she gets over things.

She's acting completely normal, eating fine and using the litter tray. She's not licking the paws and i've had a feel in the paw pads to see if there's anything stuck there and I don't think there is. She doesn't seem to be in any pain when I touch her leg or have a look at it and so i'm puzzled!

I always remember when my friend left a bite for too long on her cats backside and he ended up losing his tail because of it and I would hate for anything to happen to her because I waited too long, but equally I don't want to rush her off!!!

Any suggestions as to what to do and how long you normally "leave" things to see what they are?  :-[

Link to CatChat