Author Topic: New Kitten, advice needed  (Read 1050 times)

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
Re: New Kitten, advice needed
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 17:06:10 PM »
I think most of us on here will agree that the best toys for our kitties are the ones we haven't spent a fortune on!! I know if I see a lovely toy and think wow that looks great fun, I'll get it home and noses will be turned up and it'll never get played with. However, if I screw a piece of paper up and throw it the naughty monkeys will be kept occupied for ages.

Da birdy is the best toy though, although your little Spook is probably a bit young for it at the moment.

Emma

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »
The best toy for a kitten is another kitten  ;) ;)

Night time, you need to start as you mean to go on. Could you borrow a dog crate and have it in your room but that way night time is quiet time. (dont put toys with bells in there with her lol)

Because shes so small being shut in a kitchen is very lonely, she would soon get use to it tho if you ignore her.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
Hiya

Congratulations on your new bundle of fluff. I have 2 kittens, now 8 months old and double trouble! I'll try to help anser at least some of your questions.

Toys: The favourite toys of our 2 so far have been rolled up balls of tin foil, string (supervised play only), a white catnip mouse and various things they have found around the house. Chilli found an elastic band last week, but when I found a chewed half of it on the floor and the other half amongst the litter goodies, I had to go round the house and make sure there was nothing else like it she could get her paws on!

Night time play: Unfortunately for my OH, his feet are usually the subject of the night time play. There doesn't seem to be much to do about it other than wearing some thick socks to bed for a while until they get bored of it! I thought we'd made a breakthrough with our two last night as we weren't disturbed at all, but what they were actually doing was knocking the bag of dry food I accidently left on the dining room table onto the floor and tearing a big hole in it. Strangely enough they weren't interested in breakfast when I got up!

I guess the licking is her cleaning you, my 2 do it to each other and to us, chilli likes cleaning our eyelids which is not pleasent really!

The fruit thing is a little random, we've never had a cat that did that, although ours seem to like strawberry yoghurt and my mums cat is obsessed with sweetcorn. If it seems to give her a runny tummy, certainly don't let her get to it.

I'm really not sure on the phone thing, mums cat used to chew the phone cord but she solved that by buying a cordless phone!

Good luck with your little bundle and post us to piccies to  :Luv2: at!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline mallory

• Adult Cat
New Kitten, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 00:12:28 AM »
A week ago I became the ecstatic recipient of the birthday gift of Spook, a nine-week old kitten.  My mother thought I needed the company.  I adore Spook, she's wonderful, I was planning on adopting a cat.  However, I've not actually had a kitten before. My previous cat was an adult ex-stray, so it was more a food-shelter-and-vet-bills arrangement.

As a result, I have some questions about the care and training of Spook. 

She seems to have litter-trained herself with very little fuss, and is eating well five times a day. She has proved very responsive to training not to bite or scratch, even in play, and we are making progress on the not sniffing my food, don't walk on the laptop, and coming when called fronts.  Any suggestions as to what other training I should begin to institute?

Is there anything I can do about the 3am play-sessions? I wouldn't mind, except that I'm her favorite toy. I let her sleep on my bed, and when she decides it's playtime, she will dance on me, attack me through the duvet, pull my hair, burrow under the duvet to investigate my toes (Spook has a sincere attachment to my feet), and generally be a pest. Other times, a firm 'no', a gentle tap on the nose, or putting her away from me and ignoring her for a few minutes have been sufficient negative reinforcement. But at night, she climbs right back on the bed and continues playing. The obvious solution is to shut her out, which in my flat means shutting her in the kitchen. I have tried this, she cried inconsolably for 15mins until I gave in (she doesn't usually meow, just makes chirping sounds), and when I let her out she was shaking, and cuddled up to me purring, which made me feel really cruel. This despite the fact that her bed, food-dishes, litter-tray and toys were all in there with her. 

What kitten-toys will she like? She ignored everything I bought her, except the ping-pong ball, in favour of a piece of paper on a string, a feather duster, and anything she can get tangled in or tip over.  The feather boa, bells, mice, assorted balls, and dangly plush tiger on elastic were obviously a waste of money.  Any suggestions as to what 9-10 week kittens really like?

Why does she lick me? Spook settles in for a cuddle, starts purring, then starts licking my arm, or chin, why does she do this?

How often should I do a full litter change? It clumps, and I spot clean every time she uses the tray (very stinky kitten). 

When is it okay to start giving her treats, like canned tuna?  Kipling used to go nuts over it, but I'm worried it might not be a good thing for a kitten.

Why does she want to eat fruit? When I have a bowl of fresh fruit, if I leave it where she can reach it, she will nibble at any leftovers, and lap up any juice in the bowl. Is this bad for her? I've been stopping her, just in case, but I just caught her raiding my wastepaper bin for a peach-stone.  I could understand if it was butter or something, but it's peaches! I thought she was supposted to be a carnivore. 

Spook also has a slight grooming problem. She seems to understand the theory, but in practice, most of her washing efforts are devoted to her tail and hind paws, I assume due to ease of access. Other than brushing her, is there anything I can do to assist her grooming? She's fairly fluffy.

Finally, any suggestions on how I can stop her answering the telephone? She hates it ringing, and has figured out that if she knocks it over, or pulls it off the table by its cord, the noise stops.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mallory, the OCD owner of Spook the Avenger, Slayer of Telephones.

Link to CatChat