Author Topic: Liver...I should've known better.....  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Liver...I should've known better.....
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 20:08:39 PM »
Iv not braved offal yet  :sick:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 18:10:17 PM »
I have to recommend Kitchen Devil scissors - I bought a pair in 1994 (I know as I bought them in Tesco the day I moved into my 1st owned flat  :) ) and have always used them to cut up chicken, meat and the odd bit of cardboard and they are still really sharp  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 16:56:28 PM »
oooh, kitchen scissors! Gillian, you're a genius ;D I'll have to invest - anything that minimises the handing, and avoids the "sawing through blood vessels" experience - bleugh! I would probably have to go to the local butchers anyway (which I admit I don't do enough), as the chicken livers seem to go quite quickly, for some reason..(maybe I'm not the only crazy cat lady in Aberdeen who feeds her furbabes liver). At least that way I can ask for free range specifically :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 16:36:46 PM »
That sounds like a good plan, Gillian - the less smell the better! ;) I'm guessing the chicken ones won't need so much chopping either (a task I really don't relish! :sick:)

I guess the other benefit of chicken liver is it will prob say whether its free range or not - I'm never sure what you are meant to look for, welfare-wise, when buying other meat. We tend to just go for "organic", but I'm not entirely clear on the welfare standards for organic meat when it comes to cattle, sheep etc. :-:

You'd be surprised, at how big chicken livers actually are! I know I was. I snip the livers up with kitchen scissors.

I've bought chicken livers from a local traditional butchers and their chickens are all free range, so I'm guessing that the livers come from those chickens, hope so anyways! but I have bought them from Sainsbury's and they are not labelled as free range or organic.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 16:24:22 PM »
At least liver is better than Tripe  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Only slightly  :rofl: :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 16:22:26 PM »
At least liver is better than Tripe  :sick: :sick: :sick:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 16:19:33 PM »
That sounds like a good plan, Gillian - the less smell the better! ;) I'm guessing the chicken ones won't need so much chopping either (a task I really don't relish! :sick:) - you're right though, we've been getting ox and lamb liver - nasty stuff, but they love it. :tired:
They took to it rather too well, if anything!  :shocked: Skye was straight in, but she's such a little carnivore I'm not surprised. Also, she's not quite a year yet, and we've had her on occasional raw food since she was 6 months, so she's used to it. Riley was a little more circumspect - watched Skye eat hers, followed her around for about half an hour to look for side effects, then decided it was obviously safe as she neither puked nor keeled over, and promptly devoured his like a starving street urchin :rofl:
I guess the other benefit of chicken liver is it will prob say whether its free range or not - I'm never sure what you are meant to look for, welfare-wise, when buying other meat. We tend to just go for "organic", but I'm not entirely clear on the welfare standards for organic meat when it comes to cattle, sheep etc. :-:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 16:09:31 PM »
We've recently taken to buying fresh, raw liver for the cats as an occasional treat.

I'd forgotten just how gross liver actually is  :shocked: :sick: - the texture, smell, appearence - ugh! :sick: But, rod for my own back - it may make my stomach churn,

Haha! rod for your own back - deffo LOL!  ;D What liver did you buy? I get chicken livers for mine and I don't think they smell as bad as lamb, ox or pigs livers. Mine took quite a long time to get used to raw liver when I started feeding raw - I would put a tiny sliver in with their raw mix and most would get it in their mouths and your could almost see the disgust on their faces LOL! - but they all love it now.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Liver...I should've known better.....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 16:02:09 PM »
We've recently taken to buying fresh, raw liver for the cats as an occasional treat. Mistake, BIG mistake. They LOVE it, of course - it's the only thing they WILL NOT share, with warning growls and dagger stares all round, even though they both have a bit and are half a meter apart :evillaugh: No fights, just emphatic "this is MINE!"....
Anywhooo......the problem is, I'd forgotten just how gross liver actually is  :shocked: :sick: - the texture, smell, appearence - ugh! :sick: But, rod for my own back - it may make my stomach churn, but what I wouldn't put up with for anyone or anything else, I'll do for the furbabies without question....was there ever a clearer illustration of just who owns who in this relationship? :tired: :rofl:

Link to CatChat