Author Topic: Sneezing Cat advice please?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
Re: Sneezing Cat advice please?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 17:29:14 PM »
That's good news  ;D

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 15:15:52 PM »
Since I stopped using the plug it in there has been no more sneezing - so will see how we go!!! Hoping it lasts!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »
I would get a quick vet check if sneezeing does not stop, as cats can sneeze when they have an obstruction. Sure it is prob just a little cold though. Sending good vibes.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 21:28:04 PM »
hey folks - apologies didn't get back quicker but OH was leaving to overseas for a while so things have been hectic!!

I do use a plug it in so I might stop that and see if it makes any difference. He actually hasn't been too bad the last couple of weeks since I started paying more attention - typical if you ask me!

I e-mailed their foster Mum and whilst she doesn't remember Oscar being very sneezy he did have a bout whilst at the vets and the vet thought it was nothing to be concerned about.

So as I said I will give the plug it in a lay off and see how I go with the wee man!!

I am not sure about the rest of the UK but Edinburgh has been el scorchio for the last three days and my two are just loving it - I have a near full lenght window in the livving room and they have been living it up lolling about in the sun!  :Luv2:

P.s Madkittyrascue I sent you a wee PM  ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 21:28:43 PM by caledonia »

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 16:13:38 PM »
do you use any of the glade or ambi pur plug ins or room sprays??  some of these can irritate the cats sinus and make them sneeze, eyes water, etc.

If he is eating, bahaving normally then I wouldn't be overly concerned but still get him checked out by the vet just in case.  chances are they make have caught a cold or chill from travelling wet, which they should never have been in the first place (IMHO).  They should have been dried off before the journey.  Also, if not used to bathing that combined with the long journey is a helluva lot of stress for these pair.

Hope that it isn't anything serious.  Let us know how you get on.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 07:03:27 AM »
How are they doing?

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 20:20:07 PM »
Thanks for that folks.

They were both fully vet checked two weeks after I got them and no issues - I didn't mention the sneezing though because I wasn't concerned.

Oscar is acting totally normal, or certainly how he has since I got him. He eats fine and sleeps a lot and has never had eye discharge or raspy breathing. It is just every so often he will have a tirade of sneezing, much like someone who has hayfever, stop get it over with and then trot off to do what he was doing!

He has had it since I re-homed him. I might e-mail their foster Mum and see if he was like that with her.

Thanks again

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 19:50:54 PM »
I think it depends on how long it's been going on, how snotty (apologies) and whether eating well. Only 1 bout of sneezes a day doesn't sound serious.  Our Tom (18) tends to get sneezies on and off that I put down to lower immunity due to stress.  Tom is on about day 10 of current sneezies but not snotty and no eye discharge so I'm not that concerned. He is kept warm and dry and is eating fine.

I think I'd ring the vet surgery and see what they suggest if you are concerned.   :hug: to both Edgar and Oscar.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 19:42:29 PM »
sneezing bouts once a day doesn't seem to drastic but there are quite a lot of upper respiratory infections /cat flu / general bugs that can cause it.
If they seem generally healthy and are eating and acting normally then I'd probably leave it a while. It may be that they came in contact with cat flu and it has dcaused some permanent damage.

However only a vet will be able to give a definative answer and a course of antibiotics might clear it.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Sneezing Cat advice please?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 19:28:14 PM »
Hello all,

I have two old gents who have been with me now for about 9 weeks. They came quite a journey to get to me (Leeds to Edinburgh) and were bathed the morning they were to be handed over to me so when I collected them half way they were pretty wet and were for the duration of the trip. When I got them home they were pretty sneezy for the first couple of days which I thought was because they might have picked up a chill on the journey (they had been fully vet checked in rescue).

Edgar can somtimes be a bit sniffly now but that is because of a bening tumour in his nose. Oscar on the other hand has sneezing bouts a lot but is not sniffly. They are both 11 and a half but Oscar is the most aged if that makes sense. My friend has had a lot of cats and says often older cats do get bad sneezing bouts and it is nothign to be concerned about.

Any thoughts?

He has a bout of sneezes maybe once a day and his nose will have a bit of snot come out (excuse the language!!)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat