Author Topic: Basil - tick magnet!  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Basil - tick magnet!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 20:25:39 PM »
The frontline will kill them, think it takes 24hrs from the blurb i read

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »
http://uk.merial.com/pet_owners/cats/ticks.asp

Frontline Spot On Cat

Frontline Spot On Cat can be used on kittens over 8 weeks of age and weighing at least 1kg, and on all sizes of adult cat. It prevents infestation with all stages of ticks for up to 1 month and is effective against fleas for up to 5 weeks. Fleas are killed within 24 hours of contact with the treated animal. This product is licensed for use as part of a strategy for the treatment of flea-allergy dermatitis. Re-treatment may safely be carried out at 1 month intervals. The effectiveness of treatment depends on the number of ticks and fleas, and the environmental conditions.

http://www.bada-uk.org/petsproblems/prevention/tickpreventionfrontline.php
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 11:34:22 AM »
No Sam, we don't have sheep anywhere near us in fact there are olive trees and vineyards all around us as we live in rural France. Basil tends to explore in the scrub below our house and other than keeping him ondoors, there's not much I can do about that. I've just found another 2 of the critters on him! :censored:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
Do you have sheep in the fields near you?  If you do then this is where the ticks will be coming from .. ewwww nasty little critters!

I would have a word with the vet about the best way to deal with them ... but I wouldn't re-apply the frontline again until you've spoken to the vet.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Basil - tick magnet!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 10:42:17 AM »
Sorry that this is another tick posting but, my two cats have recently started to go outdoors for much of the time. We live in the country and Basil is coming home everytime with a tick on his fur. They have both been Frontlined and as Ollie is mainly black, I cannot see if he has them on him also. My question is...is Frontline enough. The ticks don't seem to have attached themselves to Baz but I'm concerned that they might if I don't remove them first. Other people here seem to have no problem with ticks on their cats, does Basil just have that certain something that ticks find irrisistable? I just Frontline them both last week , would it be safe to re-apply it now?

Link to CatChat