Author Topic: I think Jameson's got a Tick!! What to do???  (Read 4494 times)

Dark Moon

Re: I think Jameson's got a Tick!! What to do???
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 21:42:34 PM »
I say again - just pluck the damn thing!

Look - I live on the Prairies. We have ticks. I hate ticks. But there they are.

Mostly kitties here don't 'get' them - they clean them off before they attach. But the long hairs sometimes have a problem.

I just yank them. Have for them and do for me. Yes they can and do carry diseases. But that's what they made immune systems for.

I'm sorry.........I know you just want what's best.  But trust me - I've been plucking ticks for almost 20 years now. For sure left parts there. Get over it. Here we actually have been known to have a container at picnics - pass the salt. Pass the pepper. Pass the tick bow.  I kid you not.

Get over it. I have (yes, it took a while). Prevention IS the best. Bust don't freak when you get a tick.

I wake up at night feeling something crawling - a tick one of my babies have brought home. Ya get up-, grab it (or, if it is attaches to someone, yank it off)) and go and flush it down.

I'm sorry but that's just how it is

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 21:08:19 PM »
Expensive tick  :evillaugh:

Still at least you can DIY if there is a next time  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 19:03:24 PM »
Back from the vets, with a tick-free puddy cat! It looked so simple when he removed it, and we got given Otom tick-twisters (small green things - 2 sizes) to do it at home in the future. I kept asking a million questions - esp when the vet just chucked the tick in the bin - I was like: ''but I thought you had to cut it in halves, pour petrol on it, set it on fire and scatter the ashes across the atlantic ocean''. He was very laid back about ticks and didn't seem to think they were a big deal and probably wondered why I asked questions about them as if they were a matter of life or death. I don't like it when vets don't explain things in detail, cos I have a habit of asking. Plus googling ''ticks on cats'' I read so many articles about what can happen if they're left on the cat, the diseases they can carry and risk of infection.

Anyway. Jameson got a nice portion of Feline Fayre Tuna and Salmon and now he's stretched across the bed with a pleased smile on his face.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 17:48:16 PM »
Popping to the vets now (rush hour, d'oh!) - will ask the vet for advice on how to DIY - and do whatever he says as long as it sounds sensible and relativetly easy. (will let OH do the fiddly work)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 17:34:58 PM »
Mark i dont think that stronghold does kill ticks, NOAH doesnt mention it and they regularly update their info.

Maybe it's in the pipeline? - He definitely mentioned it - about 4 times  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 17:25:20 PM »
That's what the expert said on the programme I saw a few weeks ago. He aslo said there are 600+ kinds of ticks  :sick:

The doctor volunteered to let one latch onto him. For health & safety, they had to have paramedics on hand in case he went into toxic shock. Worse-case scenario maybe but still a possibilty.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 17:06:55 PM »
Still think the wipe with alcohol and let it fall off route is easier!

Not unless you want the tick to regurgitate its stomach contents into the cat before it falls off .... and that's where all the bacteria and nasty tick bourne diseases reside.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 17:00:31 PM »
Still think the wipe with alcohol and let it fall off route is easier!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 16:42:03 PM »
Mark i dont think that stronghold does kill ticks, NOAH doesnt mention it and they regularly update their info.

Frontline would sort it

Good luck at the vets, make sure he kills it  :evillaugh:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 16:25:26 PM »
Just pluck the darn thing off. having heard all the horror stories about leaving bits in and all.
I would be worried about anything being left inside though, causing infections etc. Some ticks carry diseases that can be fatal. I am too clueless to take that risk.

Dark Moon

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 15:39:45 PM »
Sorry for this. But......

Just pluck the darn thing off. I live in a tick infested place. I loathe ticks, by the way. When I first came, I dog-sat for my friend. He got a tick. I actually went to the vet - having heard all the horror stories about leaving bits in and all. He just yanked it off. Told me it'd be fine.

17 years and many yanked ticks later..........  Never ever had a problem with infection of anything else. I still hate ticks. But when I find them, I simply yank. And then drown the wretches.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 15:04:46 PM »

It's not very sandy near us, but behind our house is shrublands where Jameson spends most of his days.... it's the first tick I've ever seen! What is Stronghold? What does it do and how do we use it?

It's a spot-on flea & worm treatment. Does fleas, roundworms, heartworms, earmites and now ticks as well - my vet said they started including a tick killer in it as they are on the up in this country due to milder weather  :sick:

It is only available from the vet or POM - I have used t on Kylie for 5 years no problems - although Clapton is allergic and gets a sore neck.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 15:06:47 PM by Mark »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 14:36:27 PM »
Will definitely get one of those Den, for ''next'' time... *prays there will never be a next time*

It's the weather .. tis perfect tick weather. I have a friend who removed 12 of them yesterday from various cats and dogs, and 1 today from a cat  :sick:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 14:34:54 PM »
scrubland = ticks, sorry  :evillaugh:  check your own legs if you walk in there! I can tell you it's not fun lying in the bath with your back to the taps and suddenly seeing one of those critters embedded in your leg  :shocked:  I've had tick bite fever too as a kid (in SA I hasten to add). Horrible things, why are they on the planet at all?!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 14:33:02 PM »
Will definitely get one of those Den, for ''next'' time... *prays there will never be a next time*

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 14:29:52 PM »
How to remove a tick in 5 easy steps  ..... http://www.petsupplies4less.com/How-to-Remove-a-Tick.html

Ooo that site kind of annoys me as it doesn't point out if doing it by tweezers it MUST be fine pointed tweezers. Regular tweezers are no good.

There was a thread recently about ticks - my recommendation is pop to PAH and pick up an Otom tick twister.
Thanks Den. I will buy one incase it happens again, but this time let the vet do it and show us how it needs to be done, it would be too much of a kerfuffle otherwise.

They are handy, and you get 2 - 1 for large ticks and 1 for small ones.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 14:28:55 PM »
Got an appointment at 6pm today.

I hope I never see a tick again. It really makes me feel  :sick: just looking at it and the moving legs.  :sick:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 14:25:45 PM »
There was a thread recently about ticks - my recommendation is pop to PAH and pick up an Otom tick twister.
Thanks Den. I will buy one incase it happens again, but this time let the vet do it and show us how it needs to be done, it would be too much of a kerfuffle otherwise.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 14:23:36 PM »
How to remove a tick in 5 easy steps  ..... http://www.petsupplies4less.com/How-to-Remove-a-Tick.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 14:23:17 PM »
Thanks all. I just called the vets and they quoted me £23 which is fine, I just want to get rid of it, really makes me gag just looking at it  :sick:
And I'll ask the vet to show us for next time, I'm sure OH doesn't mind doing it if he brings another ''friend'' home...ugh ugh ugh  :sick:

It's not very sandy near us, but behind our house is shrublands where Jameson spends most of his days.... it's the first tick I've ever seen! What is Stronghold? What does it do and how do we use it?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 14:23:03 PM »

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13943.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 14:16:06 PM »
I know others on here say no way should you attempt to reve yourself without a proper remover just in case you leave some behind. If it is left in, it can cause toxic shock. If part of it is left in, it can cause infection. Probably best to phone the vet and see what they say. Stronghold is supposed to kill ticks now.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 14:15:41 PM »
If you are not happy to remove yourself pop to the vets and ask them to remove but show you how at the same time so that if Jameson brings another "friend" home  :sick:, you will know how to evict it.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 14:13:51 PM »
deep breath and remove it asap - my Mum used to have her dogs lie on her and with her long nails she did tick and flea removal & then cutting them in half every night  :sick:  Just make sure you get it all out and don't leave its legs behind!
I had one in my leg in Zimbabwe once yukkkkkkk. Depending on how co-operative Mr J is, you could try tweezers.  Is it very sandy near you?

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
I think Jameson's got a Tick!! What to do???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 14:08:42 PM »
I noticed he had a small lump under his chin yesterday - I automatically assumed it was only a little spot or scratch that would disappear. Until just now when he was sleeping on his back, something told me I should check that spot again, and on closer inspection I saw it had legs!! That were moving!! I felt really sick. It's got a brown-ish body and is attached right under his chin.

What do I do? I've read you can buy tick removers, although I wouldn't do it myself, OH would probably but then if he would fail we'd have to go to the vets anyway to remove the rest. Jameson doesn't mind us examining it, and he is clearly in no pain. I just want to get rid of it.
What should we do?

Link to CatChat