Author Topic: At one point do I call TIME OUT????  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Re: At one point do I call TIME OUT????
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 17:31:31 PM »
Gorgeous! Scrummy! I've fallen in love!  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

My little gang playfight loads (and they're adult now!) and we still get the occasional squeal - like everyone else says, leave em to it unless you think one's turned into a demon from hell!

The only time I do a 'time out' on any of mine is when Shanti gets a cob on ... anytime I make her do something she doesn't want to she takes her mood out on the others and me, slapping us and sometimes growling.  I just chuck her (not literally!) in a room on her own for half an hour.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 16:30:37 PM »
They are gorgeous - certainly worth the wait!

My 2 play fight all the time, they never really make any noise though, just get the occaisional bottle brush tail. I've only ever found one injury, a little scratch on Chilli's ear but theres no way to be certain it was from a play fight, could have just been some overenthusiastic itching!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 15:41:32 PM »
My boys get quite rough and both have had scratches and blood on their faces. If I see them getting too rough I usually clap my hands or try to distract them but don't try to separate them. They are actually best of friends and are always grooming each other and sleeping together so I think they just like to play rough - although at first I really worried. Neither of them seem scared of the other and they will always go back for more.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 15:12:44 PM »
What gorgeous kittens  :Luv:

Our boys play fight all the time, I must admit we've never broken them up, sometimes Hubby wants to he feels Milo has gone too far with Jess but I'd rather leave them too it Jess will end it when his ready.

Fortunately we've never had blood of flying fur if Jess has had enough he puts his paw on Milo's head and holds him there!  :rofl:

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 13:44:11 PM »
ha no Matilda is full blue, Charlie has the white "boots", he also has a white beard and a white stripe down his belly!!  :briggin:

They are beautiful.... :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 22:32:10 PM »
 :omg: how cute are they :drool;  I love Matilda's little white paws  :Luv:

Edit:  Is that Matilda or Charlie with the white paws? 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 22:33:26 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
PICS OF KITTENS NOW!!Re: At one point do I call TIME OUT????
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 18:28:01 PM »
and another one...taken this afternoon snoozing on the settee

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 23:08:06 PM by lollylou »

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 18:23:59 PM »
ok, if you really want a picture of the little ones... :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 17:36:26 PM »
This is a disgrace! You are taunting us with tales of your kittens bit no pics  >:(  ;)

As for when to call time out, squealing in kittens is natural beahviour and if you intervene before the 'squeal' then they will never know when they have gone too far.  My two boys are always playfighting but the only time I've ever heard them squeal was when they were neutered, Riley was obviously feeling a bit perkier than Lu and kept biting his sore bits  :evillaugh:

Offline mitch

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 14:23:27 PM »
I'd say that unless injury is sustained, they're fine to be left. I have a 10 year old male and an 18 month old female who play fight all the time. After a while the youngster will squeal to stop the game but she's never hurt. (and runs back to leap on the older cat 10 seconds later!).

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »
 :evillaugh: It's how kittens learn what is exceptable or not and the squealing is the lesson.  In Nature the mum cat, teach by a squeal if it hurt , a paw tap on nose if very bad, and also will ignore thir attention.  The litle learn that it is not good to do what ever they did. The best way to teach good behaviour to a kitten is another or mum  :) So i would def leave them to it and they will learn what the others limitations are.
With my two and all of my lads i have had, ignoring is the main lesson where they just walk off if the other is getting too rough. Lol Garfy is the little terror and he litle to play rough. Marl is the one to mainly submit even though he is bigger and more muscular than Garf. Garf has a stronger personality and is a cheeky little imp! Marl is the softie but he def has learnt to give Garf as good as he gets!!  :evillaugh:

The "roughest" cat we have had has got to be Gizzy, we reckon he was a feral kitten and he was the only one to tend to bite and scratch your hands from kitten and in adult age. We had him from 7 weeks old (found in the near woodland) and he never learnt off Rio who was the softie. He hated his back touched at times and would tell you off!! I was worried that Gizzy at 2 years old would be too rough with little 10 week old Garfy but Garf loves to play rough and they got on great :)  Their play was very rough but Garf loved it and alsways started it!!  Gizzy taught him when enough was enough!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 22:10:17 PM »
Mine did that too when they were babies - unless there is serious war going on then let them get on with it!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 21:59:01 PM »
I agree "squealing" is just her letting him know she's had enough.  It could also be her being "girly"  Rossi does it all the time to Zephyr ... she starts the fight by walking upto him and bopping him on the head then when he pounces on her she squeals like a little pig and he backs off ... rather than backing off at this point she seizes the opportunity to get one over on him and gives him another slap!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 21:56:51 PM »
its so funny, because Matilda often starts and continues the scrapping...but is so submissive when he attacks back, so I am assuming she must like it....just a bit scary when he tries to fit her foot or part of her head in his mouth!!

aaaaah just enjoying some peace, they have fallen asleep!  :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 21:53:32 PM »
I have never had kittens but if they are just play fighting I would let them get on with it unless it seems that one is really trying to hurt the other.

Someone, Tan maybe had a video of there kittens play fighting and the noise they made whhich made them sound like WW3 but it wasnt  ;D

Other kitten owners maybe able to help more here.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 21:51:41 PM »
squealing is her way of telling her brother 'enough's enough'. Don't intervene immediately. See if he backs off. If he does, then leave them to it. If he doesn't then you have a new job, as bouncer in kitty heaven, lol

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
At one point do I call TIME OUT????
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 21:49:24 PM »
 :Crazy:   :Crazy:

Ok, just wanted advice at which point to seperate my kittens when play fighting....they are absolutley head over heels in love with eachother
and cry when one cant find the other   :Luv2:      , and sleep cuddled up and obviously part and parcel of young siblings is to play fight.

But Charlie is quite a big bigger than Matilda and although she stands her ground (and normally blooming well initiates  :innocent: )
the fights, she sometimes ends up squealing...I don't want to constantly be seperating them or spoiling their fun, but equally don't want her getting hurt  :scared:

Whats your advise on when to step in?

Thanks
Louise

Link to CatChat