Author Topic: D'oh Fleas!!!!!!  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: D'oh Fleas!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 21:09:30 PM »
Thank you Michelle. The Acclaim should be here tomorrow.

I phoned the vets this evening as Molly is still scratching like crazy .. they said if she's still doing it next week to bring her in as they reckon it might be something other than fleas by then - they were saying the beginnings of mange!!!!!!  :-: :-: :-: :scared: :shocked: or a skin allergy of some kind and the flea might have hopped on and been a coincidence. I think it's because 1 is scratching and the other 2 aren't.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 21:10:00 PM by Den »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 22:38:55 PM »
I use Acclaim, a can should do a 3 bedroom house.
Yes you need to spray your furniture IE sofa, make sure you do down the sides of it as fleas like small places etc.
When you do the floors make sure you do the corners and edges xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 19:52:30 PM »
Thank you Gillian. I was hoping I wouldn't have to de-flea the whole place!! I've just ordered some acclaim (just did some reading and that one came up safe for a bunny environment). Thanks for the suggestion of 1 room a day since I would have done it all in one go lol ............. what's the best way to spray? Do you spray furniture as well (I've never sprayed a house with flea stuff). I've been rather fortunate in the past in escaping the fleas.

Yes Acclaim's good too. My Staykill says to do carpets, pets bedding and soft furnishings, although when I've used it I havent done the furniture. I rarely need to use it either, but I had to recently as I had a cat customer in for grooming and the owner gaily said I've checked her for fleas and there arent any - hmmm - cat was jumpin with 'em!!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 19:45:39 PM »
Thank you Gillian. I was hoping I wouldn't have to de-flea the whole place!! I've just ordered some acclaim (just did some reading and that one came up safe for a bunny environment). Thanks for the suggestion of 1 room a day since I would have done it all in one go lol ............. what's the best way to spray? Do you spray furniture as well (I've never sprayed a house with flea stuff). I've been rather fortunate in the past in escaping the fleas.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 19:33:40 PM »
You'll need to zap the house with something like Staykill which you can get from the vets, to make sure you kill any flea larvae lurking around the skirting boards and carpets etc, otherwise the cats will get re-infested. You only need to do it every six months, which is lucky because it smells foul!  :sick: - and you need to keep animals out of the rooms while your'e spraying, I usually do one room a day rather than doing the whole house at once.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
D'oh Fleas!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 19:00:23 PM »
Oh want an eventful evening I've had ... not!!!!

About a month ago I noticed a scab under Memphis' chin, then a day later I noticed a Flea  :-: So I frontlined him and Molly. Fast forward to this week and I notice Molly keeps scratching, as in I'm finding I have to tell her to stop scratching since she's doing it so much. I got out the flea comb this evening all was going well until I spotted a Flea  :shocked: I went through all of her and could only find the one flea, I did the flea dirt test (damp towel) and I couldn't find anything. Then I flea combed Memphis (who hasn't really been scratching - nothing abnormal like Molly). I couldn't find a single flea on him or any flea dirt. I frontlined and Drontalled the pair of them then I flea combed the atrociously hairy Mig .. he came up with nothing and he hasn't been scratching at all.

Now Mig is a house bunny, Memphis is an indoor cat and Molly doesn't go near dogs ever (her choice). I've not been near any other animals recently.

Could this be a one off flea or should I go ninja on everyone. I really don't want an infestation. Oddly enough ... This is the 2nd flea - in a month - I have ever had in this house and they've both been post Memphis arrival  :-: :shify:

The vet is closed so I can't ask them.

Link to CatChat