Author Topic: Introducing Chesterfield Cats Protection  (Read 8605 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Introducing Chesterfield Cats Protection
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 14:23:33 PM »
 It is North Sheffield Branch that deal .The Co-ordinators number  is  01142 456371.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 14:23:59 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline strawble

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 12:25:24 PM »
Hi Ela, I'm in S20.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:05:21 AM »
Thanks for your offer, we would love you to help us however there are 2 Cats Protections in Sheffield, if you give me your post code I will advise you which one deals with your area.

Offline strawble

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 21:07:23 PM »
Hi Ela, I live in Halfway, not far from Chesterfield.  I'm a student at Sheffield University but I have my own house.  I've been considering getting involved with the CPL for a while now.  I only have to be in Uni for 10 hours per week, although I do have to do some independent study.  I'm also free nearly all evenings, and at the moment all day on friday, saturday and sunday, this may change if I take on a part time job to help my boyfriend pay the mortgage.

I also have a spare room (albeit small) and could possibly help with fostering, however I don't know whether you would consider it feasible as I also have my own little kitty, Squidgy.

I've had cats for years and before I moved here I lived in Lancashire with 4 kitties, two of them from the CPL!  I loved seeing them all so happy and safe and I'd like to work towards putting many others into the same situation.

If you think I could be of help, please get in touch.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:05:38 AM »
Thank you, your kind comments are appreciated.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 01:17:43 AM »
What a great post ela, very informative.

The cat field and palace for FIVs sounds wonderful.
I can remember back to the dark ages when ( many many years ago ) I was waiting for two kittens from my local rescue to have ' tests ' to see if I could home them. I'm glad those days are over for some cats ( sadly as you say, not all ) lucky enough to find safety in educated rescues like yours.

I hope the New Year ( and the rest of this one ! ) brings you many people wishing to give these little ones the indoor homes they deserve, and aids you to help others.

I do admire you, and not just because you are one of the rescues that is happy to home to indoor homes.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Introducing Chesterfield Cats Protection
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 09:43:40 AM »
Please visit us on the web www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk

For all your non-prescription Vet treatments, please visit Vet UK via the link on our homepage, you will find on the top left hand corner. We will receive a commission on all orders if ordered via that link.

We in the Chesterfield Branch are unpaid volunteers slaves we are on call 24 hours a day 365 days a year and can offer advice in many situations, it is surprising how a few kind words and a little advice can turn what seemed an impossible situation into a manageable hiccup, In any one-month we can deal with over 1000 phone calls, which for a very few unpaid volunteers is an enormous task

We are the only local registered charity who helps all cats and not just gifted cats. We always have 50 plus cats in care at any one time and have a number of feral colonies that we need to maintain (all these have been neutered/spayed at our expense) one particular colony was being feed on milk and bread before we were involved. If we just dealt with gifted cats our task would be much easier as these cats tend to be family cats, as we also take in strays their temperament is unpredictable and they can take a very long time before they settle down and of course until we know the temperament of a cat we are unable to home it, also the strays tend to need more vet attention, many are in a terrible state when they come to us. Some of the strays are elderly and it is almost impossible to re-home them. As we have a no destruction policy (except very ill cats who the vet thinks will suffer), we never know when a space will become available for another cat therefore, we always have a list of cats waiting to come in, however if a stray cat is ill and needs to see a vet we always arrange for it to do so.

The Chesterfield & District Branch of the Cats Protection was founded approx 24 yrs ago. As unpaid volunteers we pay most expenses phone, postage, petrol, electric, stationery etc amounting to hundreds of pounds out of our own pockets and are happy to do so as it leaves all the funds raised to be spent on the cats in our care.

Last year we re-homed over 200 cats and helped over 1000.

As we have a no destruction policy our vets bills are enormous last month alone it was over ?4000 which for a small band of unpaid volunteers is an enormous amount and of course we have to purchase food and litter for all the cats in our care.

We spent almost £8000 to have part of a field made cat safe (completely enclosed) with a double cat palace installed with full amenities, benches and special igloos where domestic cats with FIV can live out their life in luxury or until we can find them indoor homes. As you may know most rescues have these cats PTS however if they are well it really is not necessary as they can lead a full life.? Can you imagine how you would feel if you took in a cat/kitten and then had to take it to the vets for PTS after you had rescued it, nursed it back to health and strength, or another cat had kittens, you watched them being born, their first steps etc and then found they were FIV positive and you knew full well that if a home could be found the cast/kitten could live its full life span. Although there is no cure for FIV it does not mean that an infected cat needs to be PTS, they can live a full lifespan.

I would also like to advise you that although officially we are Cats Protection we do help many other animals (at our own expense) for example Dogs, Rabbits, Ferrets, Hamsters, Terrapins Tortoise, Hedgehogs, the odd bat & any other neglected animals that come to our attention.

Why do we do what we do may ask, we keep saying we are unpaid volunteers however to know you can help in most situations even if it only means getting a cat to the vet on time is far more rewarding than disbursement.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 16:54:04 PM by Ela »

Link to CatChat