Author Topic: Zeratul has an eye condition-Update  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Zeratul has an eye condition-Update
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 23:15:07 PM »
Great news  :)

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 21:41:16 PM »
Well the young man went back for a check up today.....he's off the drops for now!  :wow:
Vet is definatley leaning towards allergies, i asked outright on whether it had a bacterial origin... Apparently the drops have an antibac ingrediant. She said if it's a virus or allergies there's nothing more can really be done but symptom control....so will need to keep an eye out for a reoccurence but he still needs to have his eyes cleaned several times a day!
Still at least all the discharge has cleared up (still gets an occasional teensy bit of white discharge on a rare occasion) and the insides of his lids are 'a nice salmon pink' again!
He still squints every now and again, but i'm thinking it's learned behavior as he's had this problem for so long, bless him  :Luv:
So fingers crossed there's no more occurences.....

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 21:00:43 PM »
Glad he seems to be getting better.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 17:59:37 PM »
He had 3 weeks of Fucithalmic and Lubrithal at the outset, then went onto the Lubrithal only for the last week......... Now where on the Maxitrol only......
There has been an improvement in the fact that his eyes are wide open most of the time, and he only squints when he's just woken up or the gunk is working out of the corner of his eyes....
Would the fucithalmic work for Chlamydia then if this was the problem? Cos i'm thinking it's either a conjunctivitus style infection or it's allergies.
He's a bit off colour today, (not good with the after effects of vaccinations bless him  :Luv:), but still eating and drinking and using the litter tray (got a close eye on him). Plus it's a bit close and humid down here....

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 16:50:45 PM »
fucithalmic's great, assuming you can get enough of it in the eyes to work  ;D  I wish they'd do it in drop form.  Very expensive, but Virbagen drops may be worth a trial to see if they help? That's veterinary interferon. (no good if there are any liver problems). That's just one drop p.d. in each eye.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 10:32:04 AM »
Hope the new meds sort his eyes out, poor little thing going untreated all that time with his old owner  :(

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 20:35:51 PM »
Was just contemplating whether or not that might be it.............you mind reader you  ;)
No, they haven't tested for it, just a lot of looking in his eyes and prescribing but no testing (can you see why i'm close to a reckoning over this one  :evillaugh:)
May seek a second opinion on this one..........His eyes are not bad, but i'm concerned if it's not sorted and we keep going round in circles his eyesight will suffer... :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 19:47:55 PM »
Maxitrol should help reduce all the swelling so dont be too unhappy with it  ;D
Has your vet ruled out chlamydia? That makes them squinty  :doh: lol

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 18:08:26 PM »
Just got back from the vets where he had his second round of vaccinations. The vet took a really good look in his eyes again and remarked that they were still sore, so he's now on Maxitrol for the next 2 weeks, then back to the vet again!
His eyes are more open now than they were, but still gunky and slightly puffy. Asked the vet outright this time if it could be allergies, she said it was possible. Possible?? Next time if these drops do nothing there will be a reckoning  ;)
Not entirely happy about this new medicine (its a steroid), but will give it a go nonetheless. Poor bubby  :Luv: would just like him to have healthy eyes...............

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
Re: Zeratul has an eye condition
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 01:31:34 AM »
Well, i've been treating his eyes for 6 days now, and theres been a small improvement inthe squinting side of things but his eyes are still full of the thick brown discharge. Am planning to contact the vet on Monday as they neglected to tell me how long the microbial drops need to be done. I also want to see if I can get them to write a prescription for Optimmune as Z's not taking very well to having all this nasty medicine put in his eyes so often  ;)
He's become more awkward and untrusting again so i've had to make the hard decision to decrease the amount of times i'm doing his artificial tears. I've got to balance the fact that he's learning to trust his new meowmy with helping his eyes, but the Optimmune may ease the situation considerably  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 19:41:30 PM »
He's so lucky to have found you Koscha, if he was still at his old home he probably wouldn't get any medical care whatsoever.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 16:51:54 PM »
We're not sure what the problem is, His eyes are sore as he squints a lot and has lumps of brown discharge that periodically work thier way out of the corners of his eyes  :sick:. Am hoping it's not a long term problem, but am preparing myself just in case......
He's a standard moggy and there doesn't seem to be a problem with blocked tear ducts, though if it hasn't improved when he goes back in three weeks I may request further investigations.I know what it's like to have blockages-my sinuses are a big problem due to the fact they can't drain properly!  :doh:
Am currently using a product called Lubrithal- its supposed to be administered every 2 hours  :shocked:, but if it is going to be a long term problem i'll probably look into the optimmune, much better for both partys as i'd only have to grab him twice a day!Also using Fucithalmic (Benzalkonium chloride antimicrobial) twice a day ATM.  :tired:
Yes at the moment it a 2 person job and he's currently a little withdrawn. His eyes are stil gunky and he's having to be subjected to drops every 2 hours or so. It's a bit of a shock to him especially as it's only been a week since he was brought here  :(. Am going to go out and get him something nice to eat, as well as make sure he has fuss time where he's not grabbed!  ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »
Just took a look at the link out of curiosity. It seems very difficult to use, especially if you have a struggling cat in your arms. Maybe a two person job.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:55:19 AM »
Quite unusual condition in a cat (much more common in small dogs)

Is he any particular breed ?

what eye drops are you using, the cheapest is probably isopto plain but that needs to be applied very regularily, then theres lacri-lube which is abit better but prob best of all is optimune (and the most expensive but worth it i think)
it lasts for about 12 hrs i think

http://www.eyevetclinic.co.uk/Practice%20Tips/optimmune.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 00:32:47 AM »
Lets hope he only needs them off and on  :hug:

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 22:49:21 PM »
We're not sure....will keep it up till he goes in to have his second round of vaccinations, but if he does, he does..

Already checked the price of artificial tears on vets uk....£5.49 a tube so my only real cost is getting him to accept having to be caught and have these 'nasty dwops  ;)' put in his eyes!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 22:21:10 PM »
What a brave boy, am so glad that he's got a new Mum that cares about him and his health  :)  Will he have to have drops permanently then?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 20:49:24 PM »
Ahhh poor little lad .... glad his drops are making a difference.  Sending lots of love and cuddles  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 20:47:27 PM »
Well, just put his artificial tears in and it's already making a difference!
Lovely to see him with sparkly wide awake eyes  :Luv:

Just gotta repeat it again in a while with his microbial drops!  :shocked:

Though saying that he was a very good boy while we did the first lot, thank gods as hes got to have an awful lot of treatments at the moment!

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
Zeratul has an eye condition-Update
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 18:30:33 PM »
Well, just got back from the vets with Zeratul, it would appear that he has a chronic 'dry eye' condition. Poor babe  :Luv2:

Of course i'm happy to help him out and make him more comfy, have noticed that it troubles him. what annoys me is the fact that the previous owners hadn't noticed this! GRRRRR  >:(

Had better try and chase down those vet records, see what else I haven't been told. Did she think i wouldn't take on a cat with a slight eye condition? It the lying that annoys me  >:(

Anyway, have to say I took the opportunity to have his vaccinations and microchip today and was very proud of him. He even settled down to chill on the table when it was being done!  :Luv2: Just have to hope that Keli's as well behaved when it's her turn  :naughty:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 17:58:04 PM by koscha »

Link to CatChat