Author Topic: Poisonous plants and flowers  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Poisonous plants and flowers
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 18:34:10 PM »
I like lillies too (my name actually means Lily) but I play it safe and have no flowers in the house.  Apart from the potential risk to the boys, they're not always the best thing to have around if you suffer from hay fever and the boys would just knock them over anyway.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 18:30:13 PM »
A good plant to have in the garden is lavender as it looks nice and smells nice to us, is cat safe and it has the same effect on mine as catnip  ;D
*off to buy lavender*
I adore lavender and always use the oil in my bath etc.

Jameson loves chewing on my aloe vera plant. At first I freaked out, but then I realised it is not poisonous.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline feebee

• Adult Cat
  • Jack and Fred true cat eccentrics
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 15:49:17 PM »
 :thanks:

Thanks for the advice on the lavender, sadly I am allergic to lavender too (are you sensing a theme here?  :evillaugh:) Catnip is no problem though and better than that my mum has got some in her garden I can pinch a cutting off  ;D

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 15:43:59 PM »
A good plant to have in the garden is lavender as it looks nice and smells nice to us, is cat safe and it has the same effect on mine as catnip  ;D
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline feebee

• Adult Cat
  • Jack and Fred true cat eccentrics
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 15:24:03 PM »
I've never before been glad that I have a severe allergy to lilies  ;)

Thank you for the link to the list Tan, We are currently doing up the garden and I have printed out the list so that when we go round the garden centre we know what NOT to buy  ;D

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 13:39:06 PM »
Lillies are my fav flower they smell divine. BUT I can't them  :'( :'(, So I just go round the supermarker sniffing them instead. The things I give up for my cats.
Think you all know I'd give my life for my cats  :Luv: I love them so much.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 13:26:53 PM »
I recently went round to a neighbours as they had a huge bunch of lillies in the window and I knew they had 3 cats. I ummed and ahhed about going over as I didn't want to come across as being nosey or knowing it all, but I ventually did. They were SOOOOOO grateful and really appriciated that someone would care enough to do that. The next day I went round and saw they had fake flowers in the window!

My Katie got gastroenteritis last year and they think it was because my neighbour had some lillies in her garden and Katie may have brushed against them. She recovered fine, but was very very ill for a week and it was very worrying. Fortunately my neighbour is a cat lover and I asked if she could grow something different and she was fine with it  :)
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 12:14:38 PM »
Eek, will chuck em out then  :shy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:01:20 PM »
Someone on here said their cat rubbed up against a leaf and died after grooming  :(

Edit - all parts are poisonous  :scared:
http://www.wnca.com.au/Lilies%20toxic%20Malik.htm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 12:03:39 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
I do have some lilies in the house at the mo, a client bought me a huge bunch of flowers, 2 of them being lilies, but I've cut all the polleny stems out, so they look a bit weird now lol!  I'm assuming that's made them safe though. 

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »
Hi Hun

Good guide is here for plants http://www.fabcats.org/owners/poisons/plants.html

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:12:54 AM »
I have a peace lily plant in my house but its kept on the desk in the spare room where the cats can only go if I am there,m so I can watch them. I hadn't actually thought of cut flowers, and although I've never had lillies, my OH sometimes buys me flowers and I wouldn't know which are poisonous apart from lillies.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:53:41 AM »
My neighbours are similar Mark, they tell me they know they are poisonous and none of their cats have ever had any issues with the lillies.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:25:36 AM »
It's hard to educate people. Recently, I went to visit my friend in her new house. She is a very senior nurse. She had a huge bouquet of lillies in her fireplace. I ask her if she knew they were poisonous to cats. She laughed and said she always has lillies and her cats have never come to any harm. She said "you and your cats"  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:53:27 AM »
I also think it would be a good idea if this list was put into florists and places that sell flowers .( i imagine they think it would be bad for business though ??)

But people who own cats still buy/have flower's bought so I do think on the Florist's behalf this would be a great thing and well respected among the cat friendly!  ;)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Poisonous plants and flowers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:50:29 AM »
Had a thought / worry  - now summer is supposedly on the way -what about a list on here for people that don''t know which flowers and plants are poisonous and fatal to cats ( and some other animals) particularly Lillies as i was reading Chesterfields cats Protection website about the pollen from Lillies .
I also think it would be a good idea if this list was put into florists and places that sell flowers .( i imagine they think it would be bad for business though ??)
I personally don''t have flowers in the house ( never had any bought for years anyway and no-one to buy them for me !) and also very few in the garden only cat mint .

Link to CatChat