Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Re: Hello
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 19:56:07 PM »
Hello Mart and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Thank you for giving Murray a home

Look forward to seeing you posting
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 08:25:56 AM »
Hi Mart and  :welcome: to PURRS

Cat's can be strange for a while when placed in a new environment
give him time to settle in, and discover his new surrounding's  ;)
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline feebee

• Adult Cat
  • Jack and Fred true cat eccentrics
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 15:40:46 PM »
 :welcome:

Hi Mart,

Don't worry too much if Murray seems to be a bit scared at first. From his point of view, everything is new, it's big and it all smells wrong. As long as he's not off his food or anything he will settle in.

Murray will soon have you well trained trust me  ;) I have found it's best to let cats come to you in their own time, some take longer, some less time but if you're quiet around them and don't attempt to catch them they eventually come round. It's good advice to get down on the floor, I think, as you will seem less threatening  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 15:11:46 PM »
I give my cats wet food twice a day and leave biscuits out for grazing all the time.

I also leave the wet food out until the next lot cos my cats tend to graze but as windorrs and doors are shut this is OK cos no flies.

In the summer its not wise to leave it down for too long cos it goes off quickly.

I would give Murray wet food before you go to work and again when you come home.

Cats do like a pattern  ;D

I would also get Murray insured asap as it takes 14 days before insurance kicks in, AXA online is one of the best deals around at the moment.

:welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Any specific questions , just ask away  ;D

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 14:53:28 PM »
Hiya Mart and welcome to purrs xx
Caroline xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 15:50:48 PM »
Feeding is a tricky one as all cats are different but for the time being prob best to stick to his normal diet and the feeding times he is used to.

If you search the site for "cat food" or "feeding" you'll see what I mean. Types of food, wet or dry, number of feeds or grazing; all quite different.  As long as he is eating, drinking (water), peeing and pooing, that's probably enough for now.  He needs to settle and changing diet might upset his tummy esp if he's a bit stressed at new environment.

Everything will look very different in a week or so, probably well before that if you are patient  :)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 15:42:46 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Mart.... :)

Well done taking the furbabe on....it really does depend on the cat, just try to act as normal as poss around him, not too much eye contact as they see this as a challenge/threat....sitting on the floor would be a good idea....oo nearly forgot dont forget the babba wabba talk!  ;)

Good luck!   ;D

Offline Mart

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 15:34:56 PM »
I tell you what, you gotta be quick on this site. Beat me to it Sam. It's an excellent link Mart and should explain alot.  

Hope you and Murray have many happy years together; just take it nice and slow to start with. We have 2 black cats aged 4 Billy and 18 Tom (fluffy white one too aged 6 Freddie).  Being a cat slave is a very rewarding experience. Murray will have you well trained soon enough.  As Sam says, please shout up with any queries as peeps on this site love to help.  Any pics?

:welcome: to Purrs

Thanks ... None yet, he doesnt stay around enough for me to take one.  :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 15:29:48 PM »
I tell you what, you gotta be quick on this site. Beat me to it Sam. It's an excellent link Mart and should explain alot.  

Hope you and Murray have many happy years together; just take it nice and slow to start with. We have 2 black cats aged 4 Billy and 18 Tom (fluffy white one too aged 6 Freddie).  Being a cat slave is a very rewarding experience. Murray will have you well trained soon enough.  As Sam says, please shout up with any queries as peeps on this site love to help.  Any pics?

:welcome: to Purrs

Offline Mart

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 15:23:54 PM »
Thanks Sam

Yes Murray will be an indoor cat.

I work from 10-6 so he would be alone for that time.  Maybe thats a good thing as he'd be able to explore my apartment alone and uninterrupted.  :)

My only other concern is his feeding times.  I got very little information from his former owner, only that he eats Kitty Cat.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 15:13:18 PM »
Hi Mart and  :welcome: to Purrs.

Well done for giving Murray a home ... I'm sure he will settle in no time at all.

You may be interested in having a look at Wizzs advice on bonding with a new cat http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html

The fact that he ventured out when you left him alone is a good sign ... and I'm sure he will do most of his exploring a night when you are tucked up in bed.

Will Murray be an indoor cat?  If you are going to let him out please make sure he is microchipped.  Also it's best not to let a new furry out for at least 6 - 8 weeks ... until they are familiar with their new home and family.

If you have any questions or queries please don't hesitate to shout and I'm sure you will get lots of good advice.

All the best

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mart

• Kitten
Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 15:04:16 PM »
Hi guys, good site you have here.

I had my first Cat yesterday, a black tom called Murray. 

He is about 2 years old, and his former owner had to give him up as she was unable to look after him any longer.

As soon as he arrived, he automatically hid under my computer table.  A few hours passed and he was till there.  I tried to coax him out with some cat nip, but I just got a puzzled look from him.  :shocked:

I went out, and on my return saw him sat in the living room window watching the world go by.  As soon as I set foot in the house, he hid behind my setee.  Apart from the odd visit to eat his food and use the litter tray, he's not left the back of the sofa.

I assume he's scared because of a unfamilir face and surroundings - but how long will he be like that for?

:thanks:

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 15:04:44 PM by Mart »

Link to CatChat