Author Topic: Fred and Victoria, tame ex-ferals must go together. Birmingham area. (SORTED)  (Read 7845 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Great  ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Unless I have serious problems with P and S, they're definitely 'sorted'.  ;D
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Shouldn't this have "sorted" on it now? ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
I think Polly fancies Fred!  :Luv2:

Aw bless!  :Luv2:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
They had final vaccination jab yesterday. Fred was a B.... to catch, but Victoria let me pick her up and plonk her in the cage. They'll soon be integrating with P and S, who seem to have grown used to the idea that V and F are around. I'm looking forward to turning Fred into a big softy!

I think Polly fancies Fred!  :Luv2:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear this HK!!!  You did such a great job for all the cats but lets face it were would you find a better home for these????

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Fab news HK....a constant reminder of how you have helped these (and the other) babes....Well done!  :Luv: :hug: ;D

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
So thats the decision made then, worm your way in - appear unhomeable and then get parents to admit that you are staying forever

Congrats to Fred and Victoria on having a forever home and well trained Slaves! ;D :wow: ;)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Awww, brilliant. :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Wonderful  ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Yes, I think they're staying. They've had their first jab and due to go for the second next week. A week after that, I'll put them in the kittening pen and let Sam and Polly visit them. They have been getting on well with the spying through the cat flap - I have one in my bedroom door, shut S and P in my bedroom while V and F chase up and down stairs, occasionally peeping through the flap. Sam hisses sometimes, but this seems to be settling now that they are getting used to each other. I've explained to them that they'll still have lots of food and cuddles.  ;D

Victoria has tamed incredibly, she knocks against my hand with her head when she sees me. Fred has just begun to let me lightly stroke his back, on his terms. He hates going to the vet. He had to be cornered to go for his first jab. I hope he's better the second time round.

They are great fly catchers. P and S are too old and slow for this now; but V and F have a wonderful time chasing flies up and down stairs, then eating them for desert!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Hey HK. Did you decide to keep these two? Just wondering really.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
I've started a new thread about the local ferals in the rescue section.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
As much as i disagree with them pts fiv positives, it may be the only way to stop the bigger picture? A few pts now means the rest are returned neutered, just think by the end of the summer how many more could be there  :( the more there are condensed in the one area the more any illnesses would spread.

Is there anyone who could be your muscle (i wish the equipment was lighter too!!) and you apply for vouchers off the CP? They can cater for feral neutering and as Ela regularly says yellow vouchers exist now to cover the whole costs.

Just a couple of thoughts.  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
sounds awful - I hope something good comes of it, would it be worth contacting the student union with some information? just a thought

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Dawn F, the only rescues I've had contact with are WellCat, the RSPCA and CP. Pauline at WellCat always seems run off her feet and overburdened with feline problems; although my dealings with the RSPCA were positive, I know they also pts FIV cats. It really is a shame that the Birmingham branch of CP have a pts policy, as they would be the ideal organisation to do the TNR. The feral population seems to be growing by the week. In my opinion, this is caused by students not neutering cats. The problem didn't exist before the area was over-run by students.

It just needs an organisation with lots of traps to catch the cats, take them to vets, and release them where trapped 24hrs later. I no longer have a trap. I returned it to Pauline at WellCat. I had problems carrying the thing down the road with a squirming cat in....it weighed a ton! I did the trapping at the back of some local shops. The wrought-iron trap needed a strong man to carry it  :Crazy:

If anyone has any ideas about who might do the TNR in B'ham, please let me know. Otherwise, I can envisage some kind of RSPCA cull of the ferals.  :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
you've done a great job with these cats but like you said it is not a one woman job, is there another local rescue who you could approach who could help that doesn't have a pts sleep policy for fiv - if it were me I'd be tempted to keep them if your grand old ladies would accept them, if they wouldn't then I'd keep looking for a new home, like Sharon said no home is ever going to be as good as the one we offer ourselves!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
I have considered that and realised that I couldn't afford to do more feral rescue as all the costs came from my own pocket. Four cats and half a dozen or more ferals would be too much for me to bear, expense-wise.

I could afford any vet expenses... I keep a slush fund for this. (Touch Wood) I've been lucky with P and S, who've been generally healthy cats. One comment which a friend made was that P and S are ancient, and I can't expect them to be around for many more years; having another pair of cats may soften the blow. Losing cats really breaks my heart.

I may keep Vic and Fred and carry on looking for the right home for them. However, it's unfair to keep them in the back room, so they'll need vaccinating in order to mingle with P and S. I never had P and S vaccinated for Felv, but they must be negative to have lived for so long. The rest of F and V's colony (the 4 who were tested) were neg for both Felv and FIV. This means shelling out £100 for the pair, which I would have to pass on to the new owner, if I find one. If I don't find one, it will mean the end of my rescue until I'm down to two cats again.

When I went to the local shops early last night, I noticed even more ferally cats hanging around. This is really a problem in this area now; more than one woman with limited finances can deal with. There needs to be a big TNR campaign by CP in this area. The only thing preventing me from contacting them is B'ham CP's pts policy for FIV cats. The problem is one I can't make a dent in.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:52:43 AM by Hippykitty »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Good point Sharon, and one of the reasons I haven't got a second cat since Tiger's passing, so that I have that extra space for long term fosters. I would hate to be in a postion where I had to say no cos I had been selfish and kept a cat that could have found a home.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Would you be able to help any more kitties if you kept them?
Its a terrible dilmena but as soon as a fosterer decided to keep a cat sometimes it means they can no longer foster. We have Paula who has no animals and she has been on the verge several times but then thinks about it and realises that if she kept a foster cat we wouldnt be able to send other "special" cats that need time and patience with a person. 

However, several fosters have indeed i was on the verge of keeping Melissa but thought of my own dear two and thought they deserved to be on their own. I am sure they would of accepted Melissa eventually it wasnt hissing and bitiing it was voting with their paws and Bella going off her tablets!

New homes are never as good as our own but remind yourself that you rescued them and maybe finding them a home of their own would be the way to go.. Also you mention finances could you manage to pay for unexpected vet bills if need be...?

Hope that helps (well maybe not!)
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
I'm torn, Bazmum. Someone left a message on my answer machine the other day, and I've been loathe to return the call.....well, they did leave a mobile number, after all  :shify: and I've just answered an email enquiry concerning them.

Part of me says that the sensible thing would be to rehome them: the expense, the stress to S and P, and ME....imagine running round after FOUR monsters all vying for my attention!  :tired: But I'm in love with them, especially Fred, he's such a gorgeous cat. There's just something about neutered toms which is very lovable. He's still a little nervous, but fast coming round to the idea of being a kitty-pet. He circles me when I'm sitting with him and lets me stroke his tail as he walks in front of me. Victoria knocks her head against my hands to get fuss.

Oh....what to do!!! Friends think I should keep them. I can just about afford it, but it would be a bit of a stretch.

Polly and Sam are starting to accept them. Polly would like to join in their games. When she hears them chasing up and down stairs, she sits up and looks like she wants to play too. Sam has stopped hissing at Fred and is now putting Victoria in her place.  :evillaugh:

My heart sinks when someone enquires about them.  :oh noo:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Aw...does that mean that these two lovelies are classed as "Homed" now?  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
It must be  :rofl:

Hope all goes well and they love each other  :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Thanks Gill. At the moment I'm judging how Sam and Polly react to them through the cat flap. I have one in my bedroom door and keep S and P in my bedroom while Vic and Fred are out along the upstairs corridor and chasing up and down the stairs, with the door to the lounge closed, and the cat flap locked.

The two sets of cats eye each other through the transparent flap. There has been a little hissing from Sam, but not much. Polly seems to want to join in when Fred and Vic chase up and down stairs.

So it looks like I might be keeping the monsters. When I've had them vaccinated against enteritis, flu and FLV, I'm putting them in the kittening pen and allowing P and S to visit them, so I'll see how they react at close quarters.

If all goes well, I'll have four monsters!! I have fallen totally in love with them, especially Fred.  :Luv:

I'm amazed that no one wanted them. Must be fate!  :sneaky:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Bump

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
They are still with me. I have just put a post in the General section linking to their new vid on youtube. The woman who came to see them changed her mind about having them, for the odd reason that she didn't like the way Fred pushes Vic out of the way while eating munchies. He does this once in the vid.

I'm seriously thinking of keeping them; I'm totally besotted. More about this in the other post. Here's the vid link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2_K7WEGovh0

Please let it load for a while to avoid stop and start. I've commented about the grubby tray in other post.  :-[

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Hi hun how are these two darlins?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
I have a viewing and homecheck coming up for them, but it is possible that this will fall through. I will post the results here.

Good Luck HK with the chance of re-homing this gorgeous pair....you must be very proud of them and what a brilliant job you have done!  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
I  have put an update in the general rescue section, but here's a little more info about them.

I trapped them, along with six others of the colony, last November. Fred was totally unhandleable at that time, but has become much more calm and playful. Victoria was initially very aloof and untouchable, but very beautiful; she now craves attention. From the beginning they were very fond of one another and would sit together like husband and wife, watching over the young kittens. I suspect there may have been a more complex family structure than I initially thought. (I first thought they were two generations of kittens from the same mother.)

Homes fell into the laps of the younger ones and Winnie who was the same age as V and F, but these two were overlooked. They have been spayed, neutered, wormed, but not vaccinated. Four other members of the colony have been tested for FeLV/FIV and been negative; they were tested by their new 'slaves'. They have been kept separate from my own healthy old cats, so have not been at risk of infection.

If any problems arose, I will always give advice regarding settling them and be willing to take them back.

If there are any issues I haven't covered, post here or get in touch with me via email.

I have a viewing and homecheck coming up for them, but it is possible that this will fall through. I will post the results here.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 19:08:10 PM by Hippykitty »

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Hi Hun

Have put them on the news section.

Can we have some more info what they are like etc  :)

Tan
xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Victoria is stunning and so is Fred, I do hope they get a wonderful home soon  ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
I'm desperately trying to home Fred and Victoria together. They are 10mths old, neutered/spayed ex-ferals. They are now almost tame (Vic is very tame, Fred is still skittish but would tame easily in a forever home). Anyone in the midlands who wants to take on these cats is free to contact me via email, saying in the title they are from Purrs, so not accidentally junked. I'll upload some piccies.

If more information wanted, please just get in touch: catinherden@hotmail.co.uk

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 17:35:45 PM by MrsR »

Link to CatChat