Author Topic: Uncharitable Charity - rant  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Uncharitable Charity - rant
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 14:39:17 PM »
I am trying to put my energy into positive stuff (like spring cleaning  :shy: )instead of letting old bags like that bother me  :evillaugh:

I will email next week when there is a bit more time and I'm not so angry  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »
Grrr Mark if I were you, I would send an email. Perhaps say something like you think they do a good job as a charity, but some of the people "on the front line" in their shops may have an attitude that puts people off donating or going into the shops in the future.

Good on the Manager of Cancer Research  :Luv:

I would come to the Spring Fair if I were anywhere near (after my 6am potential IKEA visit of course  :evillaugh: )
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »
Yes but they believe that electricity "do be witchcraft"  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »
I think that's an unfair comment on Whitstable natives. They haven't stood open-mouthed pointing at passing 4x4s for at least a year now!  :innocent:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »
"High colour and low intellect"

I like that and may use it!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »
oo arrr

Somerset Maugham described locals in Whitstable as having "High colour and low intellect" and hinted at inbreeding  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:30:09 AM by Mark »

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 09:22:26 AM »
Mark arm the villagers with pitchforks that'll sort them :evillaugh:

and don't forget the flaming torches [for theatrical effect]
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »
Also, I believe it is connected to the church?   >:(

Well my stuff will be donated to Demelza house & Red Cross in future  >:(
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:16:13 AM by Mark »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »
Mark, I believe this was the same charity whose centre manager put a PTS order on our Gus, whose owner had died in their care.  :tired: We only saved him after several frantic calls and pleas for commonsense.  :tired:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »
it can happen anywhere Mark, my OH wouldn't use the Ealing CP shop because they were rude to him about a donation he tried to make!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:55:03 AM »
That is a very good point that I hadn't considered. We have had quite a few cases that I know of where we have taken cats in when people have gone into care homes. This woman was really obnoxious. It's as if she got great pleasure out of saying no. The charity itself is wonderful and runs 3 hospices in Kent. I'm sure if I spoke to someone higher up, I would be told something different. It's a case of using judgement rather than being a jobsworth. It's not as if I was asking to put up a poster advertsing a karaoke night or something  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:57:32 AM by Mark »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 01:50:51 AM »
I looked at their website and considered sending an email.

Perhaps you should do and also point out that we take in many cats a year from some of the people that hospices need to help.

We will put posted up for other charities events etc. The only posters I don't allow are circus posters. I appreciate most circuses nowadays do not have performing animals but people still associate circuses with animals and also some circuses although there are no performing animals do have a mini zoo.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 17:22:13 PM »

Its all very well if its company policy and its not allowed, by why the hell can't they be polite about it.

True - I went into the opticians and there were just the staff as it's really 1/2 day or even full day closing in Whitstable on Wednesdays
 (we are still in the 50's here  :evillaugh: ) - They said they were really sorry but showed me that there were no leaflets up as the company doesn't allow it. I said that was fine but one of them said she was so sorry as she loved cats and would loved to have helped  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 17:30:51 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 17:19:22 PM »
I looked at their website and considered sending an email. Obviously, as a hospice, they do great work but all it takes is one officious jobsworth to give them a bad name.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 17:15:45 PM »
How rude were they  :Crazy:!

Its all very well if its company policy and its not allowed, by why the hell can't they be polite about it.

I would defo avoid going in there again in future, they may be a charity, but with volunteers with attitudes like that, maybe they don't deserve the help they get in donations and people buying stuff.

If it were me, I'd be having a word with their head office  :evillaugh:

Top marks to the other one though  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 17:17:01 PM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Uncharitable Charity - rant
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 17:11:21 PM »
Sharon & I went out this morning trying to get shops to put up posters for the Free Neuter campaign + a general poster + leaflets for the spring fair (This Saturday in Whitstable Community centre!!) - We took a side of the high street each. The first place I went into was a hospice charity shop. I was greeted by the 3 old women that work there. I explained that I was from CP and wondered if they would put a poster up for the neutering campaign. One of them, a dragon snapped at me - "No we can't, we only put our own things up in here" - I pointed out that it wasn't a very charitable attitude  :sneaky:. She glared at me. I said I went in there every week but wouldn't bother in future - she said "that's up to you"  - I said I would expect charities to help each other out and thought they were really out of order. One of the other women who was more polite pointed out that it was the bosses policy and not the staff's. If the first woman had been more like that instead of attacking me, I would have accepted it. Anyway, I left saying that I will post about them on all cat forums telling people they won't even put an A5 up for the cats and don't deserve any support themselves!  >:(

The manager of Cancer research was so different. I told her about mammary cancer and she took 3! - she is putting one in the window, one on the notice board and one on the counter  ;D
She said she doesn't put up any old thing but anything that supports a healthy lifestyle is good for her - and that includes cats  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 17:48:20 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat