Author Topic: Introducing cats  (Read 2700 times)

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
Re: Introducing cats
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 19:13:25 PM »
Angela, so pleased it is going so well for you and Charlie.   We introduced three kittens to two adult cats and it has taken some months (perhaps because there were so many) but is finally settling down now.   Gizmo is now happy to wash and be washed by the kittens and Bubbles hissing is now more of a token slight sniffing sound !   Regarding getting upset about Whisper - it is nearly a year for me now and just reading the letters 'rta' bring tears immediately to my eyes - please just try to remember the good times before that day.   I do hope things continue to go well for you all and yes, pictures soon please.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline AngelaH

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 18:04:58 PM »
Well many thanks for all the suggestions. We started off with the kitten in the cage, but neither cat seemed to like that. We just had lots of meeows from both and some minor hissing, but no threatening body language, so we opened the cage! No problem - hurray! Both grumbled at each other a little but nothing major - more chatting than anything really. The kitten has a very loud meeow - especially in the early hours!!! The first night I was up nearly all night with him crying, then second night was fine until about 4am, then last night was fine! Mind you think he was worn out as he and Charlie spent most of the evening tearing around like hooligans!!!! Charlie is so much more playful again already.

The kitten is slowly coming round to us too - he's kept at a distance most of the time, but loves playing. Today he was rolling around and let me stroke him quite a bit - he's got such a loud purr!

Benjamin is very good with him, I know he wants to stroke him, but he's been very good and left him alone. William ignores him all the time he's still! I will post photos when I get some!

Angela

Offline AngelaH

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 19:19:47 PM »
I am sooo hoping there won't be a problem and tbh, knowing that both cats are used to company, and are sociable cats I don't think there will be much of a problem, I just want to be prepared! As I've borrowed the cage, it's not cost anything and I can keep it as long as needed - if we need it at all. It might be that we use it more to give the new cat some breathing space once we pick the kids up on Sunday!

Benjamin (4) still keeps asking when the angels are bringing Whisper back, and thinks Whisper doesn't love us anymore, but loves the angels more. I'm going to say that Whisper has asked us to look after our new addition for him, and hope that the new cat and more time help him to stop missing Whisper so much. I still can't think too much about Whisper without welling up, but I am also looking forward to getting our new cat. I hope they get on well enough to play with each other, the house seems odd without two mad cats charging around like elephants!!! Btw, how is it possible that two relatively small things can make soooooo much noise just running and jumping!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will let you all know how we get on, I will try to post piccies too, though if it's anything like the old forum, I may well not manage it!

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:26:04 AM »
I have to admit when Amber moved in 2 of my friends carried her through to the front room, plonked her on the floor and I said to Mogs look at that then you've got company  :Crazy: Amazingly it did work. Amber took up residence in the back bedroom for a day but Mogs still went in and used the tray, then Amber moved into the main bedroom and we had a while where Amber would be under the duvet and Mogs on top and both pretending the other wasnt there but nothing drastic.
Of course now I know how it should be done I cringe a little and am so grateful it worked as it could so easily have been chaos lol
Oh I forgot to mention that in the first week Mogs swiped me and my friends to punish us for bringing Amber in but never touched Amber at all.
love
Tab

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 07:48:59 AM »
Angela, you may be anticipating problems which won't occur. Some cats love the company of others, especially if that's what they're used to. Cats who are used to being 'queen of their domain' often resent newcomers. I have had both types of experience. Where the cats hated eachother, I returned the newcomer, sobbing all the way. On the other hand, a semi-feral called Bella was immediately welcomed by Minnie, the resident cat. Minnie threw her front legs around the scruffy black bundle and gave her a good wash!
I suggest that you wait and see. Sometimes cats who don't like one another initially will settle to a truce, (this is the case with a friend who has four waifs she's adopted at various times).
Good luck.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 00:31:29 AM »
You been so lucky Fur. Misa and Sas stil dont like Franta and Ducha much despite the intros being done properly. And the two birmans guard the top of the stairs at night to stop the other two coming up grrrrrrrrrrrr. I nearly break my neck if I want to go to bathroom in middle of night, half asleep and have to negotiate two bodys !

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:20:10 AM »
I have always dont things a different way.

I have never used a pen or kept them separate - and i have never had a problem.
I have 10 cats now but have had 15 all together over the years

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:38:33 AM »
I agree 100% with the comment.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 23:40:27 PM »
I think if you cant keep the newbie in a different room the a puppy pen would be ideal. make sure that she has somewhere in there to hide like a cardboard box and then just take things slowly depending on how they go.

Goodluck  ;D

Offline AngelaH

• Kitten
Introducing cats
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »
After losing one cat to an rta before Christmas, and the other missing him terribly, we are collecting our new kitty at the weekend if all goes well. Thanks to those who offered advice and support on the newbies forum. So now I'm thinking about intros. I've looked at Wizz's site, and am currently reading 'Cat confidential' (thanks for reminding me what book I was thinking of!) - it's fascinating! I have also spoken to the breeder we are getting 'Silver' from and the breeder we got our original 2 from - and am now more confused than ever!!!

We don't have the luxury of a spare room which can be Silver's initial safe haven, anyway with 2 small children into everything doors never stay closed anyway. The breeders (both cats are norwegian forest cats - so playful but laidback generally) have suggested introducing new cat whilst in cat carrier - if no spitting/hissing, then shut Charlie out, while Silver explores new room, us making a fuss of Charlie, then let Charlie in..................  Neither expects either cat to have a problem with the other!

All other advice seems to be to keep them apart for longer! Which makes sense! The only other option I thought of, was to borrow a puppy pen, which at a push - rejigging some furniture, I could put in my youngests bedroom - Charlie rarely goes in there, or in the back half of our lounge - downstairs is more or less open plan, but obviously Charlie wanders through there at will. Silver is an older kitten - 6 months, he is used to other cats/kittens and is not used to being caged.

So those of you who have introduced new cats - what are your thoughts? I'm grateful for all suggestions! This will also be our fist kitten - our other 2 were homed as 18month olds, though in norwegian forest cat terms, this is still very young as they mature very slowly - Charlie is now 3, and still growing!!!! We'll need to replace our cat flap soon, for a smal dog flap I think! So any advice on kittens will also be good!

Thanks, Angela

Link to CatChat