Author Topic: Why do cats rub up against you? Need affection or a massage?  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Re: Why do cats rub up against you? Need affection or a massage?
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 12:42:11 PM »
A couple of questions asked in the original post.

Why does a cat likes being stroked?

Kittens are repeatedly licked by their mothers and human stroking has a similar feel on the fur as human licking Bear in mind that the mother cat feeds, cleans and protects the kittens. Stroking is  a continuance of the motherly process. Cats don't tend to grow out of this throughout their life. The erect tail as well as purring is a sign that stroking is warmly received. Why then doesn't that happen in all cats? It is believed that kittens who have either been pushed out of the litter by stronger, larger cats or who have been taken from their mother have not enjoyed the mothering process so have nothing to compare stroking with which is one reason why some cats prefer little or no stroking.

Why do cats rub up against your leg?

It is mainly a scent exchange between you both. Cats have scent glands around the mouth, tail and on the temple. The scent cannot be picked up by the human sense of smell but tye cat recognises the smell. Have you ever come home having stroked a dog or cat? Your cat will take some time to sniff the area where the other animal may have rubbed against you.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 19:02:57 PM »
well I say,....you learn something new everyday

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 18:37:18 PM »
I have to admit, I only learnt that a few years ago! I thought it was pretty interesting at the time, though. And I remembered, so that's pretty impressive for me!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 16:50:38 PM »
No good pretending you know something or have known a long time when in reality you have just read it on the net. Funnily enough at the back of my mind deep inside the empty hollow I do think I may have read it years ago.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 16:34:37 PM »
Oops, just realised I put claws, not paws!  :shy:  :doh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 14:31:14 PM »
 :rofl: Ela

I'm sure that one cant be well known about.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 14:23:50 PM »
I have to be honest here, thats where I got it from and I will be honest again and admit I did not know either.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 14:19:57 PM »
Learn something new every day !!! I really never knew they had scent glands in their front paws only thought they merely sweat through them !!

anyway this is interesting read for those who want to see it. ?(most i am sure we all know already)

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/whycat.htm

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 14:19:31 PM »
Cats have scent glands along the tail, on each side of their head, on their lips, base of their tail, chin, near their sex organs, and between their  front paws.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 14:13:48 PM »
really jackspratt. ive never heard that one before ? will have to look that up.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 11:16:37 AM »
Tammy, that's true. They also have something that produces scent in their claws, so when they scratch they aren't just shedding the sheath, but marking as well.

I think it's to say "you're mine!" but in the nicest possible way! :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:30:09 AM »
I think you are possibly right and of course a bit of cupboard love, I know when mine do this if I get up the run straight to the fridge and look up longingly as they know I always have cooked chicken breast in there for treats.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:24:52 AM »
I've been told by a vet that cats have scent glands in the neck area just gy their ears/jaw and that when they do that its coz they want to scent mark you as their property!!  :shy:
Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear

Offline Maximina (Mike's Mom)

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 05:50:27 AM »
My sweet baby's name is Mike (I just changed my screenname to my old forum name) :) I just adopted him from a friend who was moving abroad 3 months ago ... isn't he sweet?! :Luv:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 14:04:14 PM »
i think if its just a general rub against you its them showing you affection but when my son comes home from school cody goes way over the top and just the actions as though he is spraying (but he's not) so that is probably excitement then he spends ages frantically scent marking my son with his face so this is definately a way of "remarking"  my son and welcoming him back into the "pack"

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 13:06:16 PM »
Welcome to Purrs :)

Dont recognize your name  but if you want the same veiwing name as in CC, change it in your profile.

I bet its a combination of just loving attention and that stroking is a stunning sensation for them. I read some where that that every piece of fur received the nice mesage when the fur was stroked and obviusly a bad one if it was pulled!

So whats your gorgeous cats name, my fav b&W type :)

Offline Maximina (Mike's Mom)

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
Why do cats rub up against you? Need affection or a massage?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:29:28 AM »
 :-* Hi All, I am glad to be here. And some of you may already know me from my posts on CatChat ... :(

I have the most affectionate cat ever. Here is a photo (who wouldn't love him with those chunky white paw tips):

He wants to be rubbed, petted, scratched etc CONSTANTLY. The more the better. All the time. I love it actually and always wanted to get a cat who was so affectionate. He purrs the minute you touch him and would happily rest his head on your arm or shoulder and just snuggle all night long.

That being said, I sometimes wonder what his motives are. Does he want my affection or does he just enjoy being massaged. Is it a physical or emotional need, or a bit of both. Either way, I don't mind as I am emotionally satisfied by his affection and constant adoration but I just wonder ............ what are these little cats thinking?????

Any thoughts?

Link to CatChat