Author Topic: Does my cat have a tick?  (Read 7142 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Does my cat have a tick?
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 13:16:32 PM »
Well alls well that ends well  ;D

Offline lolly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 08:30:18 AM »
What a palava!

My OH took Hector to the vet yesterday.  There was a really bad accident on a nearby motorway which meant traffic was diverted through our part of town.  This resulted in a normal 10 minute journey to the vet taking nearly an hour.  Cat was fine, OH was going mad!  So OH arrived at the vet very late for his appointment and when the vet got Hector up on the table to examine him guess what?  No bloomin sign of the wee growth or tick!   :-[

Vet reckoned it was probably a tick that had had enough of a feed and dropped off - hopefully outside!  He gave Hector a wee antibiotic (I think) injection just in case there was a chance of infection and sent them home.  How embarassing!  Oh well, better safe than sorry. Just glad it wasn't me that took him!  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 20:49:31 PM »
Good luck at the vets  :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 11:50:46 AM »
Now it doesn't sound like a tick as they definitely get bigger.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline lolly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 08:22:13 AM »
Hector has an appointment with the vet tomorrow evening. They couldn't fit him in before then and as the 'tick' doesn't seem to be bothering him or growing in size I decided it would be OK to wait another couple of days.  I'm still not sure whether it is a tick.  Will let you know how it goes at the vet.

Thanks again for all the advice. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 21:08:19 PM »
Has the cat been to the vet and is the tick gone?

I think I would just go to the vets but hope I never have ocasion to need to do so.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 19:50:10 PM »
BC there is a ton of info which contradicts what you quoted. With the tweezers all info states to pull NOT twist. The only time you twist is with a tick twister. I'm going to stick to doing what I have said in the thread as I don't want to mess with them ... especially as tick bourne illnesses are on the increase!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 19:44:27 PM »
Isnt Pyrethrin what they put in dog products that kill cats?  :scared:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 19:26:43 PM »
Oh, and in the interests of research I looked up a vet site dealing with them. I quote:

What to do if you find a tick on your pet?

This has been an area of great debate over the years. The latest thinking is to remove it quickly with a pair of tweezers - go as close to the skin as you can and twist (either way). Once removed there is often a wound left behind which can persist as a lump for weeks. Often pieces of the mouth parts of the tick may be left behind - these are harmless, also the paralysis tick does not burrow it's head into the skin as is often said.

It was once thought the tick needed to be dead before you could remove it safely, but this is not the case. If you aren't confident you can remove the tick quickly and cleanly, then you certainly can kill it first before removing it. To kill it  you can apply directly to the tick any pyrerthrin based solution or derivatives of this [eg Pyrethrin rinse (Fido's), permethrin rinse (Permoxin), even the knockdown fly sprays are suitable (not surface sprays)].  You can also apply a drop of Frontline directly to the tick. When the tick begins to shrivel it is usually dead

Importantly, don't apply anything irritant eg petrol, kerosene, turps etc these may stimulate the tick before killing it and cause skin damage to your pet.

So there you are, the official advice ... lol

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 19:22:49 PM »
where I come from the ticks cause paralysis and death so you can't afford to muck around. Not a problem here I guess ...

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 19:11:20 PM »
After living in Germany for 13yrs Tick removal was common place from both cats, dog & OH (he was in the Army and those ticks got in some very strange places  :rofl: - OH not the dog) TBH once you have removed one its not so bad, we have got some "tick tweezers" and I was told that you need to turn Anti clockwise.  If you dont remove they eventually drop off once they have gorged on blood and are so fat they cant hang on any longer  :sick:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 19:04:27 PM »
Frontline does not suffocate the tic so I imagine it would be OK. Personally I would be off to the vet ASAP unless it was impossible to get there (like I was somewhere in the middle of the outback 20 hours drive from anywhere)...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 19:00:57 PM »
Does this include frontline, i always thought a spray of frontline and let the  :censored: die

Iv got a tick remover too but am yet to find one to remove  :(

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 18:18:20 PM »
Vaseline is included in it and does the same thing.

It's not recommended to smother them with anything at all. As they will regurgitate stomach contents. Or burn them whilst they are attached.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 18:10:29 PM »
see Den's earlier advice - this is not a good idea ...

I did, vaseline is a bit different from dabbing with meth

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 17:58:46 PM »
You can just smear the head parts with vaseline - tick suffocates, dies and then falls off -  it takes about half an hour, but some fall off way before then.

see Den's earlier advice - this is not a good idea ...

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 17:50:04 PM »
You can just smear the head parts with vaseline - tick suffocates, dies and then falls off -  it takes about half an hour, but some fall off way before then.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 14:47:36 PM »
He said you usually get them in woods and long grass. I think he said there were 600+ types of tick  :scared:

And ferns, ticks love ferns!!!! Molly and I went camping on Dartmoor and she came home with tons of ticks. She'll end up with a ton more this year when we go again.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 14:35:06 PM »
I have never seen a tic for real.....I know what they look like but thankfully not one in the flesh!  :scared:

I am not complaining though....I still have the awful vision of roundworms to contend with!  :sick:

Offline lolly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 09:31:03 AM »
Thanks for all your advice.  I think we will keep an eye on the 'lump' and book Hector in to see the vet tomorrow.

Will let you know how we get on.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 08:56:14 AM »
AFAIK, stronghold now works on ticks. I know my vet mentioned they were changing the formula last year as ticks are becoming common in the UK due to warm humis conditions.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 01:35:09 AM »
I always spray ticks with Frontline spray and they tend to drop off after a couple of days, if not, I take them to the vets to have them removed.  Under no circumstances attempt to remove it yourself unless you know what you are doing.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 23:10:15 PM »
Long story - won't bore you - but last year, Anoosh went missing (we were frantic) but when she was thankfully found, a couple of days later I discovered a 'lump' on her neck  :sick: Quick dash to vet, small green plastic tick tweezer, turned three times and POP - out came tick, plus head and all legs waving.  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:

Now, a friend who has horses and spends some considerable hours in the summer with a tick lever and lots of swearing, once told me the story of attempting to flush a few down the loo. I say 'attempting' as someone else at the stables actually had a tick implant itself in their bottom   :Crazy:  and the only conclusion they could come up with is that the little  :censored: had crawled up and out of the water and waited just under the loo seat.  . . . . .  . . :sick:

I didn't know what to do with the one that I took off 'Noosh so quickly stuck it in a sandwich bag and smacked it with a hammer.
POP !!!!
 :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
The noise of that little critter exploding will haunt me for the rest of my life!
 :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

When we found another tick on 'Noosh's EYELID  :sick: a couple of days later, I removed it but let OH take care of the 'disposal.'

Sorry for the over-use of the  :sick: emoticon - but I think the subject matter is worth it!   :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 22:43:49 PM »
They were pointed tweezers but he was an expert. Even then he had to dig the head out with the point  :sick:

He said you usually get them in woods and long grass. I think he said there were 600+ types of tick  :scared:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 22:29:03 PM »
I didnt know people could have ticks too ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww they sound horrible.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 21:54:39 PM »
Ooo y'all are going to hate me for sounding like a broken record - I'm sorry  :-[

It's strongly recommended not to remove a tick with tweezers - unless you are an expert. Even then I think it has to be certain types of tweezers - I think it's sharp pointed ones. The problem is putting too much pressure on the tick and squeezing (or leaving the head in) or aggitating it so the stomach contents enters the host. Likewise fingers are not recommended as you can put too much pressure and squeeze or pull to hard and leave the head in.

This is why I always recommend people have the O-tom tick twister

Bit more info - and yes it is pointy tweezers. Normal tweezers are no good.

http://www.tickpreventionweek.org/remove/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 21:58:18 PM by Den »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 21:46:30 PM »
I saw a TV programme the other night about human parasite. The presenter allowed himself to be host to various nasties. One of them was a tick. After it was embedded, the expert removed the top with tweezers. He said this was the important bit as the tick wouldn't be able to inject any more toxins into the host. He said it was important to get the rest of it out to prevent infection. He said the toxins can cause lyme disease or septic paralysis - they even had 2 paramedics on standby. I remember reading that ticks must be removed within 24 hours.

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 21:37:34 PM »
Definitely have the vet or vet nurse remove it. We rescued a young hedgehog last November, and he had several HUGE horrible ticks, but I know you can cause more problems if you remove them incorrectly, especially infections.

They are disgusting, aren't they?

*shiver*

BTW...the hedgehog, who we named Howard, went to live in the woods next to a golf course at Easter, and is huge and fat now!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 21:37:53 PM by Christie »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 21:34:37 PM »
I didn't know that ... learn something every day ... ;D

I kind of know way too much about the little  :censored: I've removed more of them than I've wanted to .. they give me the creeps.

Lolly if it is a tick and you remove it make sure it still has it's head attached then stick it in a fireproof container and set fire to it. I'm not evil honestly .. it's recommended. Some people stick them in alcohol then set fire.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 21:28:51 PM »
I didn't know that ... learn something every day ... ;D

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 21:24:38 PM »
Try dabbing it with metholated spirits or alternately drowning it in oil. It may self-release.

Sorry BC I have to disagree with you on that. Dabbing it with anything is a bad thing to do ... the tick tends to regurgitate it's stomach contents into the host when you dab it with things. That's what you are trying to avoid when removing ticks as the stomach contents contains a whole host of bacteria and other nasty stuff.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 21:21:55 PM »
Without seeing it all I can say it sounds like a tick. They are easy to remove, turn anticlockwise 3 times until you hear a click. What I would advise is wait until tomorrow and pop down to pets at home and pick up a tick twister .. it's a tool to remove ticks safely (it has instructions).

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/information/tick_removal.htm

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 21:20:25 PM »
If it is a tick, then do not under any circumstance try to remove it yourself. If you do it badly the head of the tick will remain embedded and your cat will continue to be injected with toxins as well as developing a nasty infection. Try dabbing it with metholated spirits or alternately drowning it in oil. It may self-release. Otherwise, leave it to the vet!!!

Offline lolly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 21:15:59 PM »
Can't see any legs at all.  It is like a fat, grey grain of rice. 

We use Advocate on Hector and, looking at the pack, it doesn't mention protection against ticks.  I am worried about trying to remove it myself when I am not sure it is a tick in case I do more harm than good!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 21:12:17 PM »
Ewwww ticks  :sick:

Really hate the things. Can you see any legs?? If it's big from feeding you wouldn't be able to see them. Also is your cat frontlined or something against ticks? Ticks can have some nasty bugs (like Lyme disease) which they pass to the host, it's better to get them off asap than leave them .. that's my motto anyway.

Offline lolly

• Adult Cat
Does my cat have a tick?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 20:48:51 PM »
Just noticed a funny wee lump just behind my cat's ear.  It is quite small, longer than it is wide and is dark grey in colour.  He has been happy to let me look at it but is not all that keen on me touching the area around it.  Could it be a tick?  If so, is it safe to just keep an eye on it until we can take him to a vet to get it removed on Monday?  Hector was just at the vet for his annual jabs and check-up last week so this must have developed since then.  Any advice?  Thanks.

Link to CatChat