Author Topic: Teegro broken leg ... advice please  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Teegro broken leg ... advice please
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 22:46:57 PM »
I am [leased he is doing well but you are right it sounds like its gonna be a long 6 weeks  :hug:

Offline shazd7

• Adult Cat
  • Teegro & Kolo
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 21:16:31 PM »
Hi Sam
Teegro is doing well thanks for asking.  He thinks he is better than what he is though and is not being a good patient.  He either wants to play with his toys, his brother or cry constantly at the window and the door - wanting out to chase the birds  :rofl: Had to take him off the painkillers today as he has an upset stomach but he seems to be doing well without them and I think he is using his leg more by the day - he can be a bit stiff when hes been lying for a bit though but im sure thats normal.  He has an appointment with the local vet on sat so hopefully they will be pleased with his progress.  I think its going to be a long 6 weeks with him having to be in his cage though but cats will be cats thats why we love them  :Luv2:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 20:09:17 PM »
Hi Shazd how's Teegro  doing?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 16:03:18 PM »
Awww porr kitty's hope they are both doing well  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 11:29:15 AM »
Hope both Smudge and Teegro are doing well and coping

Offline shazd7

• Adult Cat
  • Teegro & Kolo
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 13:52:47 PM »
That is a good point about the painkillers - I have noticed he seems to get a bit daft after them and thinks he can go outside and jump up on things etc....thinks hes supercat lol.  We seem to be doing the same as yourself - we bought a large cage suitable for a dog (half the price in Argos as what it was in Pets at Home!!) and he has his litter tray at one end then his big fleecy bed then his food near the door.  We let him out when we are there but I had to put him in his cage when I went to my bed last night even though my partner was still up as he tried to follow me upstairs - he likes to sleep beside me.  Felt so sorry for him when I put him back in his cage but it has to be done.

Glad to hear Smudge is doing well and is getting his stitches out - im sure he will be back to normal in no time. They are good healers but sometimes I think they like the sympathy lol.

Much love to you all    :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 21:34:37 PM by shazd7 »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
You make a good point about the painkillers rollins, the unfortunate thing about animals is their lack of understanding of whats good for them !  Sometimes its best to make them reasonably comfortable but not 100% pain free as horrible as that may sound but it does prevent them being silly beggars further injuring themselves.

Smudges break not a nice one, spirals can be tricky.

shazd his painkillers are probably 24 hr lasting which is why they'll just be administered 1 x day. 

sounds like they will be both healed in no time with all the tlc they are getting  :)

Offline rollins

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »
Hi Shazd

I can tell you how we are dealing with smudge, and maybe that can help you.

Wgen we got him home on Saturday, he was also trying to jump on everything he could, a side effect I think from the painkiller the vet gave him that morning.  Smudge's break was a spiral break, quite high on the leg so a pin thru the bone and 3 wires to hold it in place were used to refix.

Due to his mad cat ways, we decided to buy a large cage for him (36"" long, can't remember the other dimensions) along with a good bed for him.  He gets out for a stretch and a walk every 3 or so hours for a good while, but be careful when you give teegro his meds (metacam painkillers?) as he will think he is invincible again once they kick in.  We generally confine Smudge to his warm cage then, and let him out only when both myself and Karen are around to supervise.

Other than that, its just time.  Smudge is back to the vets on Monday to have his stiches out and he is doing fine.  He is curled up next to me on the couch with Smokey, so I have to type this one-handed and its taken me 20 mins so far!

Ask your vet if you can see Teegro's x-rays as well.  It's amazing how durable cats are.

All the best from myself, Karen, Smokey & Smudge - Teegro will soon be jumping all over the place.

Offline shazd7

• Adult Cat
  • Teegro & Kolo
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 21:52:37 PM »
Hi CurlyCatz
We are doing like you say and letting him out when we are there to supervise him and keeping him in the cage at night. Luckily my partner is on holiday this week so the cage is open all day. We've only to give him pain relieve once a day - not sure if thats enough to be honest but keeping by the vets rules. He seems a bit happier tonight - the cheeky boy has even tried to escape out the front door - why doesnt he realise hes got to rest - typical cat I suppose lol.  :thanks:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 22:19:13 PM by shazd7 »

Offline shazd7

• Adult Cat
  • Teegro & Kolo
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 21:48:03 PM »
Hi Sam
Thanks for starting a new thread for me xxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 15:05:22 PM »
There used to be conflicting opinions on cage rest following leg pinning, cage rest was the norm but then they say healing goes faster when the limb is excercised.
That said the biggest thing is preventing a cat from jumping and causing further injury.

If it were me i'd keep him in the cage at night or any unsupervised times and when you can encourage him to move around when you are at home.

Is he on adequate painkilling medication ?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 14:53:16 PM »
Hi Shazd  :welcome: to Purrs,

Sorry to hear about Teegro  :hug:

I have started a new thread for you.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 15:07:47 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline shazd7

• Adult Cat
  • Teegro & Kolo
Teegro broken leg ... advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 13:55:12 PM »
Hi everyone..im new to this but just been reading about poor Smudge and wondering how he is getting on? My 10 month old cat Teegro has also broken his leg - upper thigh area - really bad break so think he has been hitten by a car  :'( No obvious internal injuries as yet so fingers crossed it is just the break.  He had his op on Friday which went well and the bone has been wired back together - he hasnt got a splint or a collar on but he looks funny with his shaved leg and furry paw lol. We brought him home yesterday and straight away had problems keeping him away from his brother and from jumping up to the window so he very reluctantly went in his cage.  He didnt like it much to begin with and tried to escape.  We put a blanket over the top and he seemed to be calm most of last night.  This morning he was very happy to see me and had ate some food but my partner has just let him out and hes very grumpy - obv in a lot of pain - maybe from lying in the cage all night?? Any advice on how to keep him as safe and happy as possible would be great and much love to Smudge - hope hes recovering well  :hug:

Link to CatChat