Author Topic: Reggie, diagnosed CRF & hospitalised.  (Read 17139 times)

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
Re: Reggie, diagnosed CRF & hospitalised.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 09:37:46 AM »
Hi Jasmine, how is Reggie doing today?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 00:10:26 AM »
Hi Jasmine

Only just logged in to see this, so sorry to hear about Reggie, I know you must be terribly worried about him at the moment but I just wanted to try and reassure you that CRF can be managed.  His numbers are fairly high but being on IV could see those come down dramatically, it could be that Reggie requires several days of IV therapy to help him through this peak so please try not to be too disheartened if things don't improve immediately.  He really is in the best place at the moment.

The most important thing at the moment is to educate yourself abot CRF, it can be really overwhelming as there is so much to learn but I second or third the recommendation for the site www.felinecrf.org , it has been written by a lady from the UK (who now lives in the US) and is in layman's terms so is easy to digest.

There are lots of things that can be done to help Reggie and rather than overwhelm you now with all different aspects maybe when you have taken in some of what is on the website and  have any specific questions then perhaps one of us here on purrs can try and answer your query, none of us are vets but we have cared for cats with CRF and can give you advice based on our own experiences.

I have also had excellent advice from an email based CRF Yahoo group, most of the members are in the US but they are very knowledgable and supportive. 

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/

I have copied the exert below from the CRF bible and I think it sums CRF up perfectly, Tiggy (18 3/4) has been diagnosed for over 18 months now, her blood test were mid range when diagnosed and through various treatments she is now within normal range for all values so please don't give up hope for little Reggie.

Sadly, yes, CRF is terminal. BUT that does not necessarily mean death is imminent: it is often possible to buy the cat months or even years of quality life. In fact, with appropriate treatment, quite a few CRF cats not only live for a long time, they eventually die of other causes, with the CRF firmly under control at the time of death.

An analogy used by my vet is that a CRF cat is approaching the edge of a precipice: the cat may approach the precipice very slowly, taking years to reach it; the cat may approach quite quickly; whichever way the cat approaches the precipice, it may be possible to grab the cat and pull him/her back even after he/ she has started to fall over the edge, and this could be done several times if you move quickly enough.

Thinking of you both, feel free to PM or email me if you need to talk things over x

Offline Mimi (Mewg)

• Senior Cat
  • Phoebe, Nellie & Libby
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 23:32:56 PM »
So sorry to hear about Reggie, Jasmine.........sending hugs and positive vibes your way....

Love from Mimi, Libby, Nellie and Phoebe xxx

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 23:27:12 PM »
Hello Jasmine,

I hope with all my heart that dear Reggie does get to explore the fridge and sunbathe again....a life shared with an animal is never long enough.  It would seem that we are only allowed these precious little souls for a very short time, but they burn so bright during that time, and the flame is never extinguished in our hearts.

I will keep Reggie in my thoughts and remember him in my prayers along with all the other poor little babes fighting for their lives right now.

Try to visit Reggie if you can...this always helps them enormously...even if they don't show it at the time.

Lots of love to you both,

Roz

You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 22:59:36 PM »
Thank you for all your kind words & support.

Linda, I have been following your post about the Bengals & am so pleased they are now recovering, my thoughts are with Teresa's Cringle too.
Elaine, a special thanks for your message, I will email you.

Reggie, really is a dear old puss, I adopted him almost 2 years ago from the CP.
He was a stray, found in a dreadful state, living under a car, estimated age 13+, so I knew when I took him on, I might only have him for a short time & would have to be prepared for the inevitable, but now that that time is nearing, it doesn't make it any easier.

I do so hope he has a little extra time for love & cuddles, to investigate the fridge & enjoy sunbathing in the garden, he so deserves it.
Thanks again.

J
x

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 22:58:45 PM »
Sending you and Reggie lots of love and positive vibes  :hug: :hug:

As Gill said we are all thinking of you both xxxxxxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 22:55:35 PM »
I think everyone is thinking of you and Reggie and giving loads os good thoughts for him  :hug: :hug:

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 19:47:32 PM »
Thinking of you and Reggie Jasmine  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 19:34:07 PM »
I'm thinking of you and Reggie, Jasmine. It would be worth dropping a PM to Tiggy'sMum (Helen) as well in case she hasn't seen this thread and seeking her counsel too.

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 18:53:43 PM »
Jasmine, I also wanted to add, because I know just how you must be feeling right now.  If you would rather talk with some one,  I would be more than happy to listen and offer support at this very distressing time.  If you want then please feel free to e-mail me. e_peery@hotmail.com.  I am not an expert on CRF but certainly been through the mills with this illness.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 18:46:54 PM »
I don't know much about CRF (only what I've read on here and the Hovel) but huge hugs to you and Reggie. Tiggy's Mum and Elaine on here will be able to give you loads of fab advice as well. xx
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 18:46:20 PM »
So very sorry to hear this Jasmine about poor Reggie.  His numbers show that he is at a critical stage of CRF but please dont lose hope yet.  Much depends on how he copes in himself with the fluids etc.  Although his numbers are very high and indicate 90% loss of kidney function, there have been cats that have been able to cope quite well.
http://www.felinecrf.org/how_bad_is_it.htm
The above link will take you to the page that explains things better than I can.
Will be thinking of you both xxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 18:27:50 PM »
If you go to this sites links......health you will also find another good guide  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 18:23:50 PM »
Sorry to hear about Reg,

Best place to start is www.felinecrf.org - widely considered to be the CRF 'bible' and I've found it incredibly helpful. There is a lot of info on that site though and its a lot to take in at once, so you might want to focus on the things relevant to you i.e. the actual blood results numbers and what they mean, improving appetite and treatments.

Even with those high numbers (my Suzie was crea 359 and urea 26.5 when diagnosed a few months ago- so not as high) there are still treatments and if your vet is open to you giving subcutaneous fluids at home, that can be a good option. Hopefully, the IV fluids he's having at the vets may help bring those numbers down a bit.

Best wishes.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 17:58:05 PM »
So sorry ti hear about Reggie, I cant help you wth the question but am sure some of the others will

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Reggie, diagnosed CRF & hospitalised.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 17:55:00 PM »
I'm feeling very shaky & tearful today, as it appears I will soon have to say 'Goodbye' to my gorgeous old boy, Reg.

I have been worried about him since Christmas & thought something was up, as he had lost some weight, but was eating less (when you would normally expect the opposite in cats with hyperthyroidism).

I took him to the vets 28th Dec & they took a blood sample to check his T4 levels which were fine.
Last week he went back for full bloods & the results today confirmed his kidneys are failing fast (a bit of a shock, when he had full bloods in both Feb & Oct of last year and they were all-clear).

He has a creatinine level of 400 & urea 39, so has been admitted for fluids & repeat bloods on Weds.
The vet says if the results don't improve, we will have to consider pts.

Does anyone with experience of CRF know if a cat with this level of toxins can improve and poss enjoy a further few months of life?
I obviously don't want him to suffer unduly, but I do want to do everything I can.

Jasmine
 :( 

Link to CatChat