Author Topic: Reggie, diagnosed CRF & hospitalised.  (Read 17137 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Reggie, diagnosed CRF & hospitalised.
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2007, 01:05:09 AM »
Go Reggie! Glad to hear he is feeling brighter  ;D

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with the fluids, I don't know too much about giving sub-Q's but I would post a question to the CRF Yahoo group (mention UK in the heading as they try their best to help us knowing how far behind our own vets are!).  Obviously your vet knows what he is talking about but having read lots of posts on the Yahoo group about giving Sub-Q's I have to say that is the first time I have heard of having to inject in different places for each dose.  Maybe you could see what other people's experiences are with the syringe method.

Completely understand where you are coming from re the Fortekor.  Helen (another one!), the author of the CRF webiste that I place so much trust in doesn't seem overly enthusiastic about it which I have to say did concern me after I started doing my research.  When Tiggy was diagnosed I was absolutely devastated and if the vet had told me to give her a teaspoon of soap powder a day I would have blindly followed his advice. Tiggy started on Fortekor straight away and by the time I had researched it she had already had another blood test and the results had come down so I chose to stick with it.  When I asked my vet for a prognosis he said 5 -7 months at best (given her age and the fact that she is also a tablet controlled hyperthyroid) but that was 18 months ago and I beieve that the Fortekor has played a big part in this as she has never received fluids.

Keep us posted on how the little man (and his Regette :rofl:) is doing.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2007, 00:31:24 AM »
Hello,

I'm pleased to report Reg has been on great form today (yesterday now), vocally demanding food & plodding round the garden on a couple of occasions.
He even got the conundrum on Countdown... ok, that's a porky!

However, as he is brighter & stronger, so the injections are more difficult.
Last night went very smoothly, but today has been stressful as he has reacted to the needle & wriggled, my OH has almost been in tears, he thinks we are being cruel, I keep questioning myself.  Relations are strained.

Gillian, I'm using the syringe & needle method and the vet has told me to inject no more than 20 mls in any one spot, so that means minimum of 4 injections, ideally 5 a day, not good.

Tiggys' Mum, I've had a look at that drug you mentioned, thank you for mentioning it, but I see the research is inconclusive.  I'm not discounting it out of hand, I just don't know at present what intervention/management really is best for Reg & what timescale we are looking at.

Thank you to everyone who has Reggie in their thoughts.

J. 

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2007, 21:54:08 PM »
Hi Jasmine,

How is Reggie doing today?  Hope he is a bit more settled poor baby.  Sending you both big hugs   :hug: :hug:

Love Linda x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2007, 23:41:31 PM »
Glad Reggie is back home, it must have been very stressful for him being at the vets, hopefully he will perk up now that he is back home with such a loving caring Mum.  Did you get a chance to read the info on Fortekor?  If it's something you think could help Reggie then maybe you could discuss it with your vet on the phone to save Reggie having to go in again.

Please keep us updated on how Reggie is doing, keeping everything crossed for him x

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2007, 23:21:08 PM »
Sending you and Reggie lots of  :hug: and love xx

We are all thinking of you xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2007, 22:54:31 PM »
Fingers crossed he perks up a lot now he is back at home - and a lot of vets seem very pessimistic about CRF, so fingers crossed he defies them all.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2007, 22:50:01 PM »
All my thoughts with you and Reggie  :hug: :hug:

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2007, 22:46:47 PM »
Hey Jasmine,

How you doing?  I've been thinking of you and Reggie today.  Thanks for the update, I'm hoping that Reggie will be happier & perk up tomorrow after some rest.
Lots of love to you both,

Linda xxx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2007, 19:14:33 PM »
Hi Jasmine

So, the needle stays in place while your'e adminstering the 100ml? and you fill all the sryinges and then attach them to the needle each time - is that right? That looked like an easier method than the bag system,  I thought. I expect it will take a bit of getting used to - but if  Reg accepts it ok, thats half the battle.

Hope he does perk up, I'm sure he will now he's back in familiar surroundings with you to look after him.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2007, 18:10:01 PM »
I'd give it a little while - he must be so stressed, poor thing and, as you rightly say, you'll get a better idea about everything tomorrow. I'm sure the experienced folk will be able to offer more practical advice; I've got my fingers crossed for Reggie.

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2007, 18:00:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

Yes, Reggie is back home, but I got a shock when I saw him, the poor boy really is a shadow of his old self.
He has had a little to eat & I've spent 45 mins running the shower gently for him as he laps water up from his paws, and he is now asleep on a bed on the landing, a quiet corner.  Of course, the last few days must have taken some toll on him & he might perk up tomorrow after some rest.

I saw yet another vet this morning, who did try and deter us from the home fluid therapy again, but nevertheless was very kind & patient in showing me how it is done.  I have to say I didn't realise quite how many times I would have to inject him, as he sad I can only administer 20mls at a time (he needs 80/100mls a day for any benefit at all) and it's a large needle.  However, the vet was surprised how patient Reg was with us, I told him this is the cat who lays on his back whilst I give him a full pedicure for 20 mins!...so I am going to try this on my own later, but in all honesty I'm not sure if I want Reg to end his days as a pin cushion!

Yes, you would think the results would give more hope, but he really doesn't look happy at the mo I'm afraid.

J
x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2007, 15:35:28 PM »
Have you been able to bring Reggie home as planned, Jasmine?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2007, 14:22:05 PM »
Jasmine, his numbers have come down nicely, I wonder why your vet only thinks he has a short time? However, its fantastic that your vet is open to subQs and will teach you how to give them - i've probably got that to come with my Suzie, but at the moment she's very stable with higher numbers than Reg now! Its also a good sign that Reg is eating heartily - hope he continues to do well, I'm sure he will with your love and care.

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2007, 08:03:07 AM »
So very sorry to hear about darling Reggy. Thinking of you at this difficult time but you are obviously doing all you possibly can and you can't do more. This puss is in good hands, whatever the outcome and when.

Bob

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2007, 08:02:24 AM »
Aww, I do hope that with your love and care, you can prove the vets wrong. Good luck, and do keep us updated.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2007, 01:11:56 AM »
Hi Jasmine

Really glad to hear that Reggie has improved, he is a little babe - I love the idea of him having a 'regette' too  :rofl:

I was wondering whether your vet talked to you about the drug Fortekor?  Tiggy takes this and has done since July 05, at diagnosis she had results of Creatinine 312 and Urea 35.  Her results have gone down at every test and at her last test (Oct 06) her results were creatinine 97 and urea 9.8 which is actually within the correct range!  It's not a wonder drug and may not be suitable in all cases but I think Tiggy's results speak for themselves.  It has to be taken forever but it's not particularly expensive at £10.92 for a months supply from vetuk.

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#ACEI

I think it's great news that your vet is open to sub-Q's, they can be so important in managing CRF.  Here's a really indepth guide to giving fluids at home - sub-Q's, it may be that your vet teaches you a method using a syringe instead of the normal method which is from a bag and line in which case the link below may not make much sense!

http://www.felinecrf.org/fluid_therapy.htm

Like Gill said, I really hope Reggie proves your vet wrong.  Whatever happens you know that we are all here for you x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2007, 00:21:11 AM »
Reggie is gorgeous, Enjoy him to the full and I do hope that he will astound the vet  :hug: :hug:

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 21:16:21 PM »
Big hugs Jasmine  :hug: 
Enjoy every precious moment you have left with your gorgeous Reggie.
Thinking of you both,

Love Linda x

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 20:35:42 PM »
Oh Jasmine  :hug: :hug:

Enjoy every minute you and Reggie have together.

What a lovely photo and he is so handsome xx

Sending you Reggie and Wilkie lots of love and hugs xxxx

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 20:24:07 PM »
Hiya Jasmine, Reggies numbers have reduced considerably and hopefully they will continue to decrease with sub-q's at home.  Did you see Reggie today?  How did he look to you?  CRF is a very complex issue.  Some cats can crash and all looks hopeless, then with a little care and attention they can seem ok again.  Like I said before its an emotional roller coaster.  I know, I have been there.  My Winston had his ups and downs and I thought I was gonna lose him so many times before I finally had to say goodbye.  2 and a half years we muddled through with CRF, my first vet never gave any encouragement and always talked to me like Winston was gonna die any day.  For the last year or so Winston had Creatinine of 377 and urea of 18.  He was diagnosed at the age of 18 and a half and died at the age of 21.  He was a very placid and gentle boy who trusted me implicitly.  Unfortunately the last 2 weeks of his life he spent mostly at the vets as he kept crashing and nothing could keep him stable.  I decided, at his grand age and long well loved life, it wasnt fair to put him through any more and let him go.  Still breaks my heart to this day but I know I always did right by him just as you will with Reggie.
Just wanted to tell you that so you know where I am coming from and you know that I do understand.
I wish you both well and you are both in my thoughts.
Lots of love and best wishes
Elaine xxx

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 19:54:30 PM »
Oh Jasmine,

I'm so sorry to read that dear Reggie has so little time but good for you for giving him every chance and hopefully he will live to confound all the vets...they often do! 

He looks adorable and so does his 'double' Wilke.  I will continue to pray for him and I hope he makes a spectacular improvement that will give him a longer time with you.  I think those figures have come down remarkably from what they were a couple of days ago.

C'mon Reggie...you're doing great.......keep it up sweetheart.

Lots of love to you all

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 19:30:17 PM »
Reggie's test results are back, some good news the creatinine is down to 290 & urea 29.
However, I spoke to the senior partner & he said the prognosis is still poor, he estimates a 95% loss of kidney function and thinks he will last about a week.

I discussed giving sub cutaneous fluids at home, he really wasn't keen, but wonderfully, has agreed to a trial.
He is a very easy going, laid back & trustful cat, so I'm hoping this may work & help a little.
I have an appointment tomorrow to learn the technique & bring Reggie home. 

I then have to make that judgement call before he suffers too much, but while he is still eating heartily, has use of faculties & doesn't appear in too much discomfort, I feel I owe it to him to give him a little more time & I am at home all day to nurse & monitor any deterioration.

This is a very sad time, especially as it is almost 2 years ago (18th) Jan that I had to have my beloved Smudge pts (cancer).
I'm wondering whether this beautiful boy will cross the bridge the same day.

Here is a picture of Reg, along with mini Reggette & greatest fan, Wilkie (she is drawn to his purr & often gives his ears a good old wash, so I expect he will have that to look forward to tomorrow!)

J.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 19:14:28 PM »
Jasmine, have you seen Reggie today?  How's he doing?  Love to you both. x

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 18:56:20 PM »
Really hoping its good news for Reggie

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 14:17:11 PM »
Keeping everything crossed for Reggie today x

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 13:09:51 PM »
Jasmine, I hope the tests for Reggie. Are a lot better day, and you can take him back home with you,
A cat is for life

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 12:18:11 PM »
I hope the tests are good news
 :hug:
love
Tab

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »
Hoping the blood tests today are good news Jas. Sending my  love and positive thoughts  :hug: :hug:  :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
Fingers crossed that the results are a lot better.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 00:35:44 AM »
well I reckon he cant be too bad if he is eating like that, Hope everything goes well for reggie tomorrow  :hug:

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 23:09:16 PM »
Good luck tomorrow Jasmine, thinking of you and Reggie x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 21:33:52 PM »
Fingers crossed, Jasmine. I like the sound of his healthy appetite - keep us posted.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 19:32:47 PM »
Hi Jasmine glad to hear that Reggie is feeling better  :hug:

Sending him lots of love and positive vibes xxx

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 18:53:53 PM »
Good for Reggie.  CRF is an emotional rollercoaster but the numbers are variable, hopefully there will be a significant change in the kidney values tomorrow when he is properly rehydrated.  Thinking of you both xxx

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 18:38:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have spoken to the veterinary nurse about Reggie twice today.
He is sleeping a lot (that's quite normal!) but is bright and responsive when awake, purring for England.
They have tried him on the special renal food, which apparently he loves - so much so, he has eaten 4 pouches of it already!

D-Day is tomorrow though, when they repeat the blood tests.
They may have the results late pm, but I may have to wait until Thurs am.

Thanks ever so much again for all your kind messages and to those that have provided info & link to the website, which I have been studying.
I will let you know of any developments.

Jasmine
X

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 14:01:53 PM »
Any news on little Reggie today?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 12:48:40 PM »
How is everything today?

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 12:40:06 PM »
Ive only just seen this but I really hope the fluids have helped and his levels are more normal now.
Purrs from Mogs and Amber and hugs from me that hes well soon
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 11:52:54 AM »
HAve only just caught up with this, but am sending lots of positive thoughts that the vets can get him over this peak and that you can have some quality time together. Big hugs to you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 09:57:10 AM »
Sending lots of positive vibes reggies way

Link to CatChat