Author Topic: Senior cat balding  (Read 1203 times)

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
Re: Senior cat balding
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 10:38:27 AM »
Thanks, it's so difficult not to worry.  Poor old Dillon has been through so much these last couple of years I think a human would be either completely grey or bald.  Just concerned that our new addition has added to his woes.  Think I may book appointment with different vet at the practice for a second opinion as it's been a couple of months now.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 07:36:31 AM »
That is exactly what happened to Dragan when he got older.  Vet said not to worry about it as it wasn't dropping out in lumps, nor was it red or inflamed.  Just ageing

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 17:27:08 PM »
Hi, I can only think of him possibly pulling his fur out while (over) grooming? Have you watched him bathing himself to see if he does that? That's a stress thing, they often pull hair out just in one area and it's hard to break the habit - cortisone sometimes works in a short course of low dose.  If he had fleas, I'd have thought he'd have patches that are less symmetrical and all over ??

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
Senior cat balding
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:13:19 AM »
Hi everyone, a while since I posted on here.Last year a few of you may remember I had huge trauma when my cat Dillon completely ruptured his cruciate ligaments & needed 3 lots of surgery.  Well, good news is, that just before Christmas he was given the go-ahead to go outside again (he was so stressed indoors after being an in/out cat for 9 years he was spraying everywhere - yuck!)  He is now on a diet to ease the weight on his knee, and getting about with a distinct limp, but well enough. (We live in a cul-de-sac so no busy traffic too near)Anyway, you may also remember I was trying to "befriend" a semi-feral which was hanging around. I managed to catch this cat & get him to vets - full tom, so neutered & advised by CP to release him  A couple of months later (and cat still hanging around) he badly hurt his front let - caught him again, off to vets & again CP advised to release him.  To cut a long story short after months of winning his confidence this cat has now adopted us and made himself at home. He has become a total cuddle monster, so I think he did have a home once.  Quite nervous of loud noises or quick movements though.  My daughters have called him Tom Tom after the sat nav because of how he always ends up back here!  Black cat number 3! Rapidly turning into a witch.For the last couple of months Dillons fur seems to be thinning, and he is getting quite bald between his back legs.  Vet has said it could be flea allergy (although all 3 cats regularly Frontlined), and wants to leave it a few months before doing more tests.  I am wondering if it could be a stress thing with Tom Tom moving in.  The cats will never be best buddies, but seem quite happy eating next to each other or sitting on adjacent laps.  Stress, or could this be a hormonal problem, or would the balding be all over then?  It's in a very symetrical pattern too.Any ideas?

Link to CatChat