Author Topic: Avoid anything to do with the olympics  (Read 13102 times)

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
Re: Avoid anything to do with the olympics
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 02:03:43 AM »
Are there any petitions related to this?

Had a look and can't find any..... will likely fall on deaf ears but if we all yell loud enough....... :evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »
Its a sad world but celebs do have power when doing there bit..... Good on him!  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 08:08:08 AM »
He was going to be one of the artistic advisors to the olypics games but pulled out because of the situation in Tibet.

http://www.asiaing.com/statement-from-steven-spielberg-regarding-beijing-2008-olympic-games.html
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

MBll

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 00:59:58 AM »
Whats steven spielberg  got to do with this?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 22:45:54 PM »
If everyone think they can't make a difference, then nothing happens. I respect people that do everything they can to make a change, no matter how small. Animals Asia and Chinese animal welfare groups are risking their lives taking a stand against the Chinese Government. The welfare groups in China do know what is going on there and are trying to tell the rest of the world about it. Look at the free range chicken situation here, I was in Tesco yesterday and the reduced counter was full of reduced caged chicken and nobody is buying - they are being forced into supplying high welfare chicken because people take a stand.

We can't stop the olympics going ahead but we can make China do what it dreads more than anything and that is to lose face. I have a high regard for Steven Spielberg and I hope others have the conviction to join him.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 20:31:36 PM »
You havent answered what I asked and what in reality can you do about the cats in China?

What we can do as a nation is target the Chinese government and boycott anything Chinese, people can refuse to take part in the Olympics the same as people can refuse to watch it, it has to be a joint effort worldwide, and this is where the power of the internet comes in.  Nothing is too big that something can't be done, you hit the chinese where it hurts and that is in their pockets, people stop going on holidays in China, there's all sorts of things that can be done as a nation.  Little steps make a huge difference, it's targeting the right people and making a stand.  The mistake a lot of people make like yourself, is say but what can we do, the problem is huge, if everyone thought like that, the world would be a sorrier place in my eyes.  Look at the headway they are making with the dog and cat fur trade, how many countries have stopped items going into their countries, how many people now refuse to wear fur.........it can work Gill, it's been proved!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 20:34:13 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 20:27:03 PM »
I am afraid I find it hard to put over in a post everything I want and its easy to misunderstand what I have said.........my fault but posts are difficult.

I may have not said what I mean very well but I believe what I say and am not casting dispertions on you or anyone else for the great work that you do, only that the size of problems in China are more immense than any of you have ever come across and what can you actually do about cats in China or the Chinese attitde which has been ingrained over centuries.

You have misinterpretted what I meant, maybe my lack of ability to put it over right, but the Abyss and Samuis and the kitten in Sudan are one offs not what the situation is in China at all.

You havent answered what I asked and what in reality can you do about the cats in China?

I will not post on this subject again or read any further posts, as it seems that I am not entittled to an opinion and I am not going to be put down because I dont agree with you or the others that have posted.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 20:16:18 PM »
cos they are bound to have great numbers of cats but you are not shouting about them.

Gill, that is utter crap and you know it  :sneaky:  Any cats I hear about I do my utmost to help, even if it's sending out a few emails or highlighting their plight on the forum.  It wasn't that long ago that me and T spent a night on a construction site saving some ferals so this has got nothing to with adverse publicity, our views are because we care.  I'm sure if there was anything we could do to help physically, we would do, at the moment all we can do is make a stand and say it isn't acceptable.

Okay, we have hundreds of cats in this country that need our help but that does not mean we automatically turn our backs on others in other countries.  If that was the case, what would have become of poor Abyss, and don't tell me you've forgotten about him as we busted a gut trying to get him help, he was in another country, what's the difference  >:(  Without our help, he probably would have died, so yes, we made a difference and a difference can be made to the cats in China by everyone joining forces.  I'm sure I can find you some pics to prove what is going on with these dogs and cats over there, because this is going on, start believing it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 20:07:42 PM »
I am sorry you do not like my opinion but I am entitled to have it.

I think what we do in this country in respect to cats and the Olympics is the issue we should be most concerned about and it is the one where a difference can be made and now is the time to do it, not 4 months before the Olympics starts.

In China you can look at many things which are extremely distasteful in relation to animals and far different to how we think.

I believe that we should look after our own first and as all rescues know, you are full to bursting, broke and there is a limited amount of cats that you can care for.

Now I dont know what you think should be done in Beiging, and do you really know what is happening out there anyway?

I believe there was also a problem with the cats in Athens before the Olympics and we know there is one in London too.

I am sure that this problem occurs many times the world over but only because of the adverse publicity that people are now trying to tar the Chinese with so close to the Olympics, these kind of things are making headlines and we dont even know if they are true.

What happened in Seoul, who knows and what happens on other major contruction sites both in this country and abroad cos they are bound to have great numbers of cats but you are not shouting about them.

I believe that some reality must be considered here and the Chinese can only do so much. If you are going to believe this , which I currently dont, what alternative positive action are you suggesting? The Games will not stop and I think its probably true to say that the IOC should not have given the games to Beiging and the bottom line is that the IOC are to blame for doing this. Sadly the IOC use the Olympics to try and solve political problems and often site them in contraversal places but once the machine starts to rumble, it is totally unstoppable, especially 4 months from the start.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 19:46:15 PM »
Sorry Gill I can`t say how I feel about this politelty. I care more for the poor cats than the olympics.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 19:49:56 PM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 17:45:32 PM »
As much as I love cats, afraid the Olympics are a passion since I was a child and its not going to stop now.

We cannot dictate to other countries how they deal with things as much as it would be nice to and yes you are right that the Chinese care about face..............just think of Olympic torch and our PM....................every country has its own standards, right or wrong and gradually over time things will hopefully change in China.

Now we are a nation of animals lovers it is said, and more cats are now pets than in any other country , yet already there has been a big storm about cats on the London Olympic site, maybe we should start there rather than in China!

Sorry Gill but that is not the attidute to take, If everyone sat back and said that nothing would ever change in other countrys.

MBll

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 03:35:08 AM »
yes we alll should stick our heads in the sand & all this & more willl just go away by itself.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:26:55 AM »
As much as I love cats, afraid the Olympics are a passion since I was a child and its not going to stop now.

We cannot dictate to other countries how they deal with things as much as it would be nice to and yes you are right that the Chinese care about face..............just think of Olympic torch and our PM....................every country has its own standards, right or wrong and gradually over time things will hopefully change in China.

Now we are a nation of animals lovers it is said, and more cats are now pets than in any other country , yet already there has been a big storm about cats on the London Olympic site, maybe we should start there rather than in China!

This is why this will go ahead because of views like this.  The only way to make a difference is by boycotting and making a stand.  We have a duty to be the voice for all these cats and dogs that are suffering at the hands of these murdering scum bags, they cannot speak for themselves and as much as I respect and like you Gill, I find your comments distasteful.  If anyone loves animals so much they will go without, I go without as far as lots of things go, so I'm sure a lot of people can go without the precious Olympics if it meant saving hundreds of lives  >:(  >:(  >:(

The way we can "dictate" is by not buying their products etc etc, and showing them that this is something as a nation we will not tolerate, I'm sorry but this and the Olympic Stadium really  :censored: me off and I feel useless because I can't do anything physical to help  >:(
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 03:31:43 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 22:26:36 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Avoid anything to do with the olympics
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 17:34:09 PM »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article3427996.ece

The government has ordered the streets to be cleared of stray cats. Anything between 160,000 and 200,000 cats will die in this cruel, heartless country.  >:(

Animal welfare person Mrs Qin said: “The officials said they did not want the Olympic athletes to see a single stray animal. This is partly because the Chinese care so much about face.”
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 17:34:30 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat