Author Topic: what is fortekor for?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
Re: what is fortekor for?
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 21:27:59 PM »
;D

The important thing is not to miss days as it really messes their system up. Also, the first week or so, they can feel worse but this passes.

It's great to see an improvement to them when you are told they have Kidney problems. But my JJ now has heart problems as well, though she looks ok and her coat is still nice but her breathing is deeper. She is also on Ipakitine powder for her Kidneys..
My pet's are my world.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 22:15:45 PM »
Fortekor was originally a drug for canine with certain types of heart problems/failure.

It has now been tested & licensed and can also aid cats with the conditions already mentioned.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 22:10:37 PM »
 ;D

The important thing is not to miss days as it really messes their system up. Also, the first week or so, they can feel worse but this passes.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 22:07:12 PM »
I told Lucky and JJ mum all about Clapton the other night Mark.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 22:05:12 PM »
There is a thread in general cat with pics of my boy Clapton who has been on Fortekor for the last 14 months. I have never seen him looking so well  :Luv2:

He was very poorly before he started taking it  :(

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13671.0.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 22:08:38 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 21:46:24 PM »
Hello Sue, glad you find the wonderful Purrs site.  You will have many happy posts and much support here. xx

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 21:37:01 PM »
Both my cat's have been on Fortekor now for some time without thankfully any side affects. This is for their Kidney disease.
My pet's are my world.

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 20:22:15 PM »
My 14 year old cat Henry has just been put on this as well for kidney probelms. Just hoping it does what it says on the tin. We only got him 5 weeks ago and I'm hopelessly attached already.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 18:42:27 PM »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 18:13:26 PM »
Smartie is on it for having an enlarged heart ( found about 3-4 weeks ago !)
He has been on it nearly 4 weeks and no problems touch wood.
I paid £17.60 today at the vet -ask for a prescription and receptionist said -NO ! -but will match Vet uk and online price for me !

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 18:05:30 PM »
My Dragan (cat) was put on it for his heart.  Sadly it disagreed with him and three days after starting it I had to have him put to sleep.  Most cats (and dogs) I hear do well on it.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 17:56:19 PM »
Suzie was on fortekor for CRF, I think its only in recent years that its been used to treat CRF in cats, but I know it was originally to treat heart disease in dogs. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 16:55:12 PM »
Clapton has it for his CRF (Chronic renal failure) it is also used for heart disease. It is an ACE inhibitor and it opens the arteries which with kidney disease helps the kidneys to expel toxins (well that is how I understand it) - it has done wonders for clapton. If your friends cat is an it forever, she should ask for a prescription to get it cheaper or strike a deal with the vet. My vet charges me £25 for 56 tablets (one a day) - my old vet was charging £48  :Crazy: - vetUK charges around £23 but you need to get a prescription and post it to them before they will sell it. Really annoying but you can get the generic drug over the counter in America $13 for 90 tablets.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 16:45:34 PM »
Just found this when I googled it

In cats with experimental renal insufficiency, FORTEKOR normalized the elevated glomerular capillarly pressure (GCP) and reduced the systemic blood pressure. Reduction in glomerular hypertension retards the progression of kidney disease by inhibition of further damage to the kidneys. In a large clinical trial in cats with chronic kidney insufficiency, FORTEKOR significantly reduced protein loss in the urine; this effect is probably mediated via reduced GCP and beneficial effects on the glomerular basement membrane. FORTEKOR also increased the appetite, quality of life and the survival time of the cats, particularly in more advanced cases.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 16:44:32 PM »
My understanding is its a heart medication, well in dogs, which isn't any help here
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 16:46:00 PM by Leanne »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
what is fortekor for?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 16:41:01 PM »
my friends cat has just been given it, he is two and needs to be on it for life (not sure if its relevant but he just had a bout of cystitis) - she said it was for his heart, can that be right?

Link to CatChat