Author Topic: Advice on this article please  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Advice on this article please
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »
Desley, it's not too long at all and Ginger's is a wonderful story. I've emailed to your Hotmail address some suggested tweaks, which I hope make it even more emotive.

If they work for you, I'll be happy to help with the other tales...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »
I agree, Toppy (in my thread Bloomin' Black Cat!) is definitely not thin and he behaves like a stray so that's for sure!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 10:56:52 AM »
I agree -
It highlights the fact that a cat doesn't have to be thin, in a bad condition and un-neutered to be a stray

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 10:40:35 AM »
Please, if you see a cat you suspect to be a stray, don't ignore it,

Sound advice, I have some similar info on our lost & found page. I also have an A4 poster which we have in our shop and show at events about this.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 21:56:42 PM »
Des that was great def not boring or long. He was certainly a lucky Babe for those 4 years and aways wil be a ginge stunner :)  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 21:00:38 PM »
I think most of the cats that came round did have homes, I think Black was the only stray. I felt awful putting food out thinking that these cats may not be going home, but I couldnt leave Blacky without. I didnt see the other cats as often as Blacky though, he was there every night without fail, and would even take his chances coming round through the day.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 20:22:09 PM »
Oh Desley what a wonderful article even if it did make me cry

No it's not too long or boring it's just right and Ginger will be smiling from the Bridge and giving it a paws up xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 20:16:05 PM »
Thanks Christine - might have to get you to read all the other articles I am writing at the mo (trying to do some of the real success stories, only got 4 at the moment though) - my prob with this one is that it brings a tear to my eye, so I can't check it enough. I dont think I have any pics of when he first came to show that they dont necessarily have to look thin and bedraggled to be a stray - that pic was actually taken on his 15th birthday.
I still need to make a list of the things to do to check the cat is truly a stray before helping - main focus obviously needs to be checking for a microchip first.
Kittybabe - will go and check that article out now, thanks.
CC - while feeding stray cats is good for them, it doesn't always help them in the long run (it was sad to watch Ginger eating till his dental, he had to lick his food into his mouth cos of how bad they were), and if they are unneutered, you are making things worse for them, not better. I have also taken in what appeared to be a stray cat, but was actually someone's loved pet, they just assumed he was thin due to age, thanks to me doing that, they actually did get him checked by the vet and he had a thyroid prob. I am glad that your mum was able to help Gnarla though, and give her a good end to her life.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 18:59:28 PM »
I like Gingers story Des, and its the story of so many strays that dont look like strays.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 18:47:30 PM »
Desley, I or one of the guys will give this the 'make it fascinating' fairy dust in the morning for you - like the Bish, it's what we do  :rofl: - will that be OK?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 18:12:49 PM »
I care very much for cat's and as you know I rescued the stray I was feedin in Nov 06. I would help any cat I thought was stray, I couldn't just ignore them. On the estate where I used to live, strays would come to my house to be fed. And although I couldn't give them a home I thought I was helping a little by feeding them.

Some of you may know my mum from CC, user name Bazsmum, She took Gnarla who was left to stray and even when the vet's contacted her owners, she was chipped you see, they said they didn't want her back, so my mum took her home. Gnarla was 15 yo and soon after my mum got her she was diagnosed with cancer and sadly passed away. My mum's  greatfull that Gnarla came to the end of her life peacefully and she knew she was loved.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 17:39:23 PM »
Desley, look at this:

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1324.0

I consider it very topical and I do think its of interest. The replies to my post have been great and encouraging. I can't take him in, but this is possibly only one of many ways to help a stray.

Ginger's story is heartbreaking.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Advice on this article please
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 17:32:15 PM »
I did something like this before, but think it was on CC and dont know where to start looking for it really!! Am writing some articles for our new website, and just wanted to know if this was 'interesting' enough!!

PLEASE DON'T IGNORE STRAYS

GINGER'S STORY

While not a cat related to the trust, I feel that this should be shared due to the trust's motto.

Ginger had a bit of a sad history, him and his brother were 'acquired' as kittens, but due to a relationship breakdown, they were separated and rehomed. His brother was the lucky one, he got his forever home. Poor Ginger ended up with more owners that split up and, while he had an owner, he was left outside all the time with only kindly neighbours to feed him. As well as people who fed him, he also had people who gave him attention and occasionally let him in for short periods of time, but no one was willing to either give him a forever home or contact a rescue. People in the area think he had been living rough for 3 years.

I had seen him around, but due to the fact he was on the plump side and that you do see cats alone a lot, I never guessed he was a stray until it was pointed out to me. After some deliberation, I went and picked him up off the streets.

I had him to the vets and it turned out his teeth were in a bad state and he needed dental work. The vet estimated him to be 11. I dont think he would have survived another winter (I picked him up in August) on the streets. The main person who fed him had noticed his odd eating habits, but didn't do anything about it.

Ginger turned out to be a lucky cat - despite his age and his bad teeth (left untreated, bad teeth can cause probs with some organs), he was healthy apart from being overweight and a slight heart murmur, and went on to have 4 years and 1 month in his 'forever' home, that he would probably never have had if he had been left on the streets.

Please, if you see a cat you suspect to be a stray, don't ignore it, and try some of these tips (still working on those!!). You really could save a cats life,and make sure they end up with what they deserve - a good home.

What do you all think?? Too long?? Boring?? I am too emotional about this to be objective enough I think!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat