Author Topic: Hyperactive Devil Cat!  (Read 3075 times)

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
Re: Hyperactive Devil Cat!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 14:50:10 PM »
You chasin' your catnip mice then Bryony?   :evillaugh:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 14:48:21 PM »
Maybe its just the change of seasons. Its been noticeably more summery this week and its certainly affected how I feel so maybe its affecting them too.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 20:16:33 PM »
I think there is something in the air, Charley has been going crazy last few days, he is an indoor cat so we play with him loads yet the more we play the more excited he gets as I speak he is chasing nothing on the floor. I was up all night with Henry who was sick (vet says to watch I watch lol) but Charley thought it was playtime.

Even my neighbours dog that I walk seemed to have twice as much energy, I half expected her to jump over me when I walked in and ended up walking her for 45 mins more than I usually do just to calm her down.

Is there a full moon or something?

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »
I think we must just always have hyper ones, Casper was always a nutter until he got old and heavy with so much fur (he's not actually fat because my parents had to shower him a couple of months to get something out of his fur and he was actually quite small when wet!

My 2 have perfected the 'i'll try anything once'. The laser toy does seem to work quite well, we were playing in a dimly lit hall the night before last for abot half an hour and it took another full half hour after I went to bed for them to stop looking for the red dot and join me! They also have a large zooplus box with blankets in which they are slowly destroying and toys lying all over the place. When I came home from work yesterday, my 2 1/2 ft 'triffid' palm tree thingy from Ikea was a lot more horizontal than I'd left it so I figured one of them had tried climbing it.

I can just imagine Mosi running around with the box on his head, I'm sure ours will end up with something stuck on their heads at some point. They check every glass for water (despite having their own fresh water) by shoving their heads as far in as possible. Casper used to do this with empty sweetcorn tins as he loved the taste of sweetcorn, as he got older the tins started getting stuck on his head!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 18:32:33 PM »
He crashes into things (banged himself on the corner of the wall the other day)
Yep. Jameson came speeding round a corner, skidding and sliding on the living room floor and right into the opposite wall. It seemed painful but he didn't blink. Also he loves charging at plastic bags and dives onto them and then slides across the floor on them like if he was riding a tobogon. Many times I've seen him slide into corners of tables and chairs, but he never seem to hurt himself.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 18:05:33 PM »
Some cats have duracells and some have ordinary batteries  :rofl: :rofl:

I am pleased to say that Misa is flaked out on his desk asleep and all cats seem to be dozing somewhere so they have obviously been so stressed cos I was up so early and left, the worry has left them too tired to care now I am back  ;D

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 17:59:13 PM »
I sympathise!  Mosi once went for something like 16 hours before stopping for a few hours kip and then he was off again!  He's 2.  They are all different and some come fully charged and needing very little sleep.  I find that Mosi tends to go in cycles - he'll be totally manic for a day or 2 then a bit calmer for a couple of days (talking relatively here!).

Do you have a laser toy?  They are good at getting them to run around and tire themselves out.  I also have lots of cardboard boxes lying around (small ones that contain pouches of food as well as larger ones) and Mosi likes to play with those.  In fact, right now he's running around the kitchen with a natures menu box on his head  :rofl:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 13:42:44 PM »
Max is also being a nutter at the moment, haring around the house like a complete loon, and waking me up almost every hour at night by 'dibbing' stuff in the bedroom, or just generally jumping around  :Crazy:

Gah, I need sleep  :tired:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »
I could have written you post  :rofl:

Milo is just like that

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »
Try having 2 like that, lol! My 2 are about 7 months old, for some reason no-one could be very accurate about their age when we rescued them, but yesterday and this morning they have been so hyper! Had to put them out of the bedroom last night as we couldn't sleep with the racket they were making.

This morning Chilli did a flying leap at my bum when I was trying to put my contact lenses in and had to be removed claw by claw, then they thought they would help me make lunch so I put them out of the kitchen and they paid me back by doing 3 poos in about 5 minutes, 1 half out of the litter tray and on the mat thing which was put there for that reason, so that had to be put in the wash and litter tray cleaned. Then they decided my breakfast was better than theirs so I had to fight them for it!

As I was going downstairs to leave for work, they had just settled down for a nap on the landing, typical!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 06:31:34 AM »
Oh for a lazy cat.  We had two solid hours of playing yesterday morning with boxes, laser, da bird, waggly feathers.  He was up and over and in and out of boxes, skidding round the wooden floors, diving on the laser and da bird and then was in and out the cat flap for four solid hours before he finally crashed upstairs.  Right now he is itching to play, going round looking for trouble to get my attention.  I do enjoy our play sessions to be honest but wonder where a little cat gets so much energy from.   One thing does worry me about his energetic playtimes though and that is that he will hurt himself.  He crashes into things (banged himself on the corner of the wall the other day)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:39:10 AM by Maddiesmum »

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 23:25:54 PM »
 :rofl: Is this Jameson's toxic twin???

Jameson has recently been completely hyperactive, but I am suspecting it was frustration at the bad weather, because for 2 days now he has been a (hyperactive) but exitable little puppy going absolutely mental everywhere (inside/outside) and over everything.
We spent 5 hours in the garden yesterday (well, I was doing gardening/trying to plant seeds and he was distracting me, knocking pots over and digging up the seeds again). He was climbing anything that could be climbed (incl neighbours old broken fence he got stuck in and needed rescuing from). He spent ages sitting on top of the shed roof, like he was the king of the world and everytime anyone tried getting up on the roof he'd come running towards us whacking us in the head.

Also recently while being indoors, he's been charging around like possessed by the devil, wanting to play every minute of the day, hiding behind the curtains to jump out and attach himself on my legs when I walk past.

I personally think it is down to personality aswell as weather/boredom (in my case anyway, J gets bored when it rains so he'll terrorize us indoors instead).  Jameson will be 2 years (on Friday) and I put it down to him being young and still extremely playful. I think some cats are just more playful than others. (a friend of mine has a young cat that just wants to be lazy all the time)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 00:33:33 AM »
I wondered why you were writing a post about Riley for a minute there - he and Charlie could be terrible twins  :tired:  He doesn't scratch the furniture or attack me but everything else is spot on - a hyperactive devil cat  :evillaugh:  I think it's just down to personality really rather than environment as Lucas is so calm compared to Riley.  I am waiting for Riley to be diagnosed with Feline ADHD anyday now  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 14:38:25 PM »
Franta is 14 but he just wants to be with me all the time and will shout and shout till I pay atention.

I feel sorry for him cos he is locked in his nearly silent world cos he is almost totally deaf.

Sounds to me that Charlie has discovered that he just loves being with you and having attention and has realized that he now has a home and a slave and is now having his kittenhood. I reckon that once the weather gets better and he learns that you really are his , he will calm down.

I think the weather is affecting so many cats .......and humans too  :shify:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 14:31:34 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sorry  :-[ The printer part is so funny. Memphis is pretty much like that so I know how it feels at times. Memph has definatly been a bit more crazier lately, but his usual routine has been a bit messed up so he's not been having his afternoon nap. He gets a bit  :Crazy: without that all important nap. At times like that I get out his mousey and we play fetch ... he's got an amazing retrieve.
If I'm ignoring him he will get up to allsorts of mischief so I pick him up and give him a big squishy hug ... lol he usually dissappears after that.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 14:23:12 PM »
Hmmmm I was about to post on a similar subject. Cpl Smokey's just started acting up. He sits and meows constantly until you call him or go to him and then he just purrs and purrs and purrs. He'll also play constantly and has taken a liking to the carpet on the stairs. He has become really clingy with us and Josh who is none too pleased!

Reading Jackie D's meese thread got me thinking maybe it's to do with the fact he was snipped at two years old and has some urges that are confusing him. He's become a contented indoor-only cat but I think he might be looking for love somehow.

Maybe Charlie's problem is similar. It could be to do with the time of year. Any ideas anyone?
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 14:05:29 PM »
Awww  :( Poor wee soul, all the behaviour of a kitten but with the ability to do the damage of a proper cat... nightmare.

Might be time to break out the water spray for the furniture scratching or counter top climbing, one evening of using that and my boy learned not to climb the mantlepiece to get to the fish tank (not an issue now thankfully!).

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 14:01:44 PM »
I really don't know Gill.  I am reluctant to take on another cat for a few of reasons.  Charlie might not like it!  The poor cat might have a life of hell with Charlie leaping all over it, don't think a rescue would rehome to me due to the proximity of the busy road, would then have two to worry about when they are out.  I will have to do something because I seriously cannot keep up with him.  If I don't continually entertain him he will do anything to be naughty.  I don't want to shout at him all the time and his behaviour seems to be deteriorating, ie scratching furniture instead of scratch post, constantly jumping on the worktops when he used to know he mustn't.  I worry about the worktops as he hauls himself up by grabbing the edge of the hob.  I think I am going to spend a lot of my time worrying about this young man.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 13:57:33 PM »
Oh Charlie is such a lovely boy and sounds like Mosi and Riley  ;D

Ummmmmmm do you think he needs a young friend  ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Hyperactive Devil Cat!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 13:45:58 PM »
AKA Charlie.  He has been on the go non stop since 6am.  He has been out for an hour and played with Da Bird and his laser toy for an hour before that.  He then came in soaked to the skin, had something to eat and has performed ever since.  He has turned the printer on by himself and printed out a demo page, tried to get Da Bird out of the cupboard, charged round the house for almost 2 hours with short breaks in between, He has been on and off the worktops, tried to climb up the wall, has attacked my feet and legs and nothing will tire him out.  I am absolutely exhausted (honestly) and don't know how to keep him entertained and tire him out anymore.  Is this normal for a cat of approx 1 year?  I really don't remember my others being this bad although they did have each other to play with. 

He has also just started scratching the furniture when before he has always used his scratch post!

At this rate I will need to sleep for the rest of the day.  My arms are aching from Da Bird .... I just noticed, he has crashed out on the carpet.  Sssssssssh don't anyone dare disturb him for the rest of the day.

However, seriously if anyone can think of anything I can do to tire him out I would be so pleased to hear from you
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 13:50:12 PM by Maddiesmum »

Link to CatChat