Author Topic: Morbid subject I know but....  (Read 3142 times)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Re: Morbid subject I know but....
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 17:17:21 PM »
I made a Will when I bought my house (I was 26) and included a clause that my OH is to care for Bertie and Bella if anything happens to me (we don't live together).  Then when I got Minnie the following year, I went back to the solicitor and got the clause changed to include her too.  He doesn't think I'm mad and said he's seen much weirder stuff written into Wills :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 15:08:10 PM »
Yes that is them  ;D

Thanks

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 15:02:59 PM »
Is it the Cinnamon Trust?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 15:02:43 PM »
Are you thinking of The Cinnamon Trust Gill? They do take in lots of pets in those circumstances (I am a registered fosterer and dogwalker for them, and there is evidence in their newsletters that they do this - and there is no age limit)
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 15:00:54 PM »
As far as I know this one will take all of them as long as you are registered, forgotten the name but trouble is you cant check up on them to see if they actually do!

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 14:59:02 PM »
I am so supersticious I havent done anything but keep meaning to register withe charity that takes on cats cos I dont have anyone who can take them.

Just make sure you check all the charities details and they will take your cats and anything you want (like them staying together) they will do.

Coworkers friend passed away and the charity the cats should have gone too only took one of the cats as the other was too old.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 14:41:14 PM »

You are in no means a Muppet - anyone who doesn't prepare for them is  ;D - Look at the poor babes we see in need of a home due to their owner passing over to the other side  :'(

Also the relatives who want the dosh & possessions and happy to see the loved pets PTS   >:(

I took a sad call a couple of weeks ago. A lady said an elderly relative was going into a care home but was convinced she would be coming back out at some point (It seems people often think they will) The relative said the lady was more upset about her cat than anything and didn't want to sign her over. She wanted to know if we could foster indefinitely "just in case" - I told her that with the best will in the world, we didn't have enough fosterers do that and she would have to look at private fostering or a cattery. I told her we could direct rehome to save the cat going into a pen but she was adamant the woman wouldn't sign the cat over  :( - She said she understood but just wanted to get the facts in advance  :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 14:47:41 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 14:33:27 PM »
I'm with you all the way on this one  ;D

All my money will go to a cat charity or two. My kitties will have to stay together - well the boys anyway- Thai would prefer somewhere without them. If now - Thai would most deffo go to Mandy @ CC. They bengal boys -somewhere with lots of secure space for them run and jump. Hopefully Roz - but I am not ready to suffle off just yet - I want many more years with my babies.

You are in no means a Muppet - anyone who doesn't prepare for them is  ;D - Look at the poor babes we see in need of a home due to their owner passing over to the other side  :'(

A Meow Massages your heart.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 14:28:51 PM »
I am so supersticious I havent done anything but keep meaning to register withe charity that takes on cats cos I dont have anyone who can take them.

I think with me the worry goes deeper too cos who would know that something had happened to me, cept I know my friends on Purrs were worried a few weeks ago when I was missing for a weekend from Purrs  :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 14:23:14 PM »
I have asked told my Mum that she has to take on my lot if anything happened to me but as we are talking about 11 cats i really dont think that would happen !!!

So I would need to split them up into groups
Bear and Willow

Issey and her 4 kids

Lulu, Lala and Freddy

Tramp

But even then who would take a group of 5 cats on ?? And you couldnt split them as they are Mum and Kids
So it really is a worry to me.

Mark, Not sure where you stand actually. My cousin has just had a civil partnership because of just that, My cousin is a top barrister so she is clued up so i would have thought that without the CP both her and her partner would loose out if something happened to one of them

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 13:30:55 PM »
Here are a few links on estate planning for pets. Most are American, but I think the general information is good no matter where you live.

http://estateplanningforpets.org/

http://www.professorbeyer.com/Articles/Animals.htm

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/dec01/s120101e.asp

http://www.legacyforyourpet.com/

http://direct.bl.uk/bld/PlaceOrder.do?UIN=215447376&ETOC=RN&from=searchengine

Maybe if anyone else has links on the subject, they could post them in this topic?

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:52:31 AM »
My sister and I have an agreement. She takes Lexy for me.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
I saw some pre-printed ones in the post office last week but not sure how valid thy would be?

OH says I would get 4 x annual salary if anything should happen but as we haven't done a civil partnership, even that I am unsure of  :Crazy:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:32:15 AM »
This is something I keep meaning to do (in August I turn 30), I know if something happened to me my husband would look after the cats and if we both died my inlaws would take the cats.

But I’d rather have it in writing.

My husbands work provides a free will service so it’s something that should be done, just need to grab the paperwork.

It’s never too soon to write a will.

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:18:07 AM »
I think it's the responsible thing to do, to make plans "just in case". My husband and I both have wills (he had never thought of it, but I'm retired military and it was one of those things we were always encouraged to do!), and there is info in both of our wills on care for our animals as well as donations from our estate. We've also left information with our families. Many animal welfare agencies, both here and in US (I'm American but live in UK) can give you information about how to plan for the future for your pets. My cats are such an important part of my life and my family that I won't leave it to chance.

A word of caution...don't ever just assume your family and/or friends will know what to do about your beloved pets; it's important to put it in writing and make sure everyone understands! I volunteer at a cat shelter and we do get cats in who's owners passed away with no plan in place with what to do about their beloved kitties.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 01:28:40 AM »
When opened my sons bank account and the man asked why my sons middle name is Ted and I said I named him after my cat I got a rather funny look too lol

I turned down a photoshoot on the 4th of April because that is Jameson's 2nd birthday. I don't care that they thought I was raving mad. Especially after I had pointed out the photographer seeemed freaky. They were like ''sorry, who's the freak?''
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:38:57 AM by jamesonsmum »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:27:19 AM »
I think it is lovely that you are thinking about them in that way. Your solicitor may think you're mad, but I don't, infact I think it's beautiful and inspiring that a human being can think in that way!
I would like to think, that if and when my time is up, my number one furbaby would go to somewhere I would have liked him to, and I would like to leave this world knowing he is in good and safe hands.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 01:25:56 AM »
When opened my sons bank account and the man asked why my sons middle name is Ted and I said I named him after my cat I got a rather funny look too lol

Have not thought about that as Im only 25 but I suppose they would stay here with my SP or my family would have them.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:19:40 AM »
While still seem like a farfetched subject for us too, (Cris mid 40s I mid 30s) but you really never know what can happen tomorrow in this world and as I have seen some topics about poor abandoned cats after their owners sudden death with no secure future on this board, it got me thinking.  We do know couple of people who could be the candidate to take in Oliver if something happened to us, we should make a formal agreement though such a subject is never a pleasant thing to bring up.  :shocked:  Once Lucilla (now still 12 though), Cris's daughter grows up and live on her own, I would like her to take him, she adores Oliver but her mother doesn't like animals.  :-:

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Morbid subject I know but....
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 00:57:17 AM »
Today I had to visit my solicitors to get my will sorted out, not that I'm planning on departing just yet only just turned 46 :briggin: But you never know when your time is up and thought it would be a good idea just to sort this out. Now what with insurance polices and best part of the mortgage paid off, as per usual financially I am better of in a little wooden box. Now I don't have any children or any other dependents who would benefit from my departure. My only real concern was what would happen to my cats as I would like them to remain together. Now my solicitor thought I was stark raving mad when I said I wanted to leave them financially secure and I came away feeling like a muppet! I know it's the sort of thing that you read old ladies do, but I really would not like my cats ending up on a forum like this trying to find a home. So I'm just wondering what others had planned for their cats if and when your time was up :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat