Author Topic: kidney complications  (Read 1726 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: kidney complications
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 14:19:27 PM »
Hope it can be sorted out very soon  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 14:07:05 PM »
Sending healing vibes and keeping everything crossed for a positive outcome.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 16:31:09 PM »
he was tested for crystals last week and it came back negative but he is peeing blood again and she took him back today

Cats can have bladder stones but not show anything in a urine sample, an x ray would show up if there was anything in there

Dark Moon

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 15:10:03 PM »
The good news is he is not blocked.

The bad news.... well..  If he is peeing blood there is obviously something wrong. Test him again. Tests (and people) miss things. This sounds like a 'fixable' problem though...........  Just need to find out what to fix. Maybe today's results will tell more.........

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 14:57:22 PM »
My heart goes out to her, its destressing to say the least,

If his peeing blood least its not blocking so thats something but cystitis is dangerous when left, hope he gets the treatment he needs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 14:43:38 PM »
I'm very worried about him - he is a persian boy that her sister in law didn't want any more because he was spraying, he is only two, he was tested for crystals last week and it came back negative but he is peeing blood again and she took him back today

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 14:41:47 PM »
Untreated cystitis can cause kidney issues, but normally when it is towards a blockage rather than 'simple' cystitis. I have known a 1yo die because it was blocked and it had caused ARF (Acute Renal Failure). They need to do a blood test and take it from there really, kidney issues can be treatable.

Same thing happened with my next door neighbour's cat, I'd noticed him in my garden squatting to try and pee every few mintues, and I explained to them how serious it could be. They did get him to the vet that evening, but vet sent him home with antibiotics. He obviously became completely blocked sometime over the weekend and died through the night.

Dawn it sounds as though your friend's cat could have become blocked which has led to ARF - which can be reversible if caught in time - fingers crossed.  :hug:

Dark Moon

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 13:57:16 PM »
All you can do at this point is comfort your friend. Criticisms will only hurt. Once this has passed, maybe (if you are 'up' for it) volunteer to check on her cat if she intends to be away.  It can be easy to miss things (stress this to her so she doesn't become defensive) but a 'cat person' is more apt to notice.......

Treatable? Her vet will tell her that. I suspect (and hope) it will be.

Sad that, like your friend, we have to learn our lessons through the pain of innocents.

I shall be thinking of him and hoping for the best.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 13:56:28 PM »
Untreated cystitis can cause kidney issues, but normally when it is towards a blockage rather than 'simple' cystitis. I have known a 1yo die because it was blocked and it had caused ARF (Acute Renal Failure). They need to do a blood test and take it from there really, kidney issues can be treatable.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
kidney complications
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 13:41:49 PM »
a friends cat seems to have had cystitis (male) it had it for at least 5 days before she took it to the vet and she was away for the week before so potentially he could have had it for several days more - he has been taken back to the vet and they are saying he may have kidney problems - she is in tears what can I say????  if it is because she didn't take him to the vet early enough is it treatable?

Link to CatChat