Author Topic: Teddy & Minky  (Read 48049 times)

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
Re: Teddy & Minky
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2006, 02:16:54 AM »
My fingers are so very crossed.

HUGE well dones to the many people - especially Niki! - who've worked to save these cats.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Niki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2006, 01:11:04 AM »
Hi everyone,
Just like buses, 2 homes come at once - i can't believe it!
Anne from Carlton Cats had already rang me & left a message but i didn't get it (i'm always forgetting to check for messages) She too has a home for them with a couple who live less than a mile from her.? I've spoken to the lady concerned & she's lovely.? She'd seen them on Anne's web-page & had fallen in love with them & gone out & bought all she needed for them. She has had cats all her life.
Whilst i was speaking to the lady, Anne rang Wizz to explain the situation & after discussing it with my brother we decided that Teddy & Minky should go live with the couple.? Unless something drastic happens, they are being collected from the house tomorrow night.
I'm hoping i haven't broken some kind of rescue etiquette  :-:
Niki
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 01:14:00 AM by Niki »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2006, 20:17:36 PM »
I really, really hope this new home comes off for them, I have been following their story since the beginning wishing there was something I could do.  Please keep us updated.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2006, 20:16:37 PM »
I gave the people involved Wizz e-mails address and asked  asked them to contact her as she deals with Sheffield  and Chesterfield cats & .lives not too far from me.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2006, 19:35:32 PM »
A permant home for them greatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. I do hope that it checks out OK and it will defo be OK if Wizz is involved  ;D

Where is Wizz has she registered here?

Offline bertie

• Kitten
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2006, 18:25:39 PM »
Aw...that's great news. I will still be on stand by in case I'm needed, do let me know if I can do anything - such as transport them within Sheffield or anything.

Fingers crossed that they can go straight to their permanent home :luck:

Offline Niki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2006, 17:56:36 PM »
Wonderful news. please keep us posted.

Will do :)

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2006, 17:44:28 PM »
thats great news .
thank you Sarah for your generous offer You and Nikki (& bros) are my heros of the week :wow: ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 18:19:21 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2006, 17:41:17 PM »
Wonderful news. please keep us posted.

Offline Niki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2006, 17:19:24 PM »
Ela I've just spoken to Wizz, someone has provisionally offered them a permanant home, Wizz is going to contact the lady concerned & arrange a home check, fingers crossed the outcome could well be a very happy one

Offline Niki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2006, 17:07:15 PM »
excellent !
thank god it wasn't a mayday at sea ... we'd all be drowned by now lol? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sorry I've got a strange sense of humour. :-[

Nikki? is there any possibilty Your Brother could deliver the cats to Sarah before the weekend ?

it would save your Brother a lot of unecessary travel to Sheffield and back twice? and save the cats? going into two strange environments in as many days. Plus there is less chance they will pick up something nasty at Sheffield which would put Sarah's cat at risk possibly. If you let me know how much the petrol cost I'll send you the money.

LOL
Sadly no, his oh is in glasgow til wednesday evening.
If Sheffileld have a place for them, we were going to take them there, they've been on their waiting list since sept & we thought that would be the best for them then they would only have to move once.

I don't wish to sound ungrateful nor disrespectful to you Sarah :), i've no idea what the "done thing" is regarding re-homing, we thought it would be less stressful on them to go from the house to the shelter than to go from the house to Sarah's for a few weeks & then onto Ela's. Having said that i have no idea what shelter life is like.

We're willing to go with whatever is THE BEST for them

Niki

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2006, 16:13:50 PM »
CP form being sent tomorrow.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2006, 16:01:44 PM »
excellent !
thank god it wasn't a mayday at sea ... we'd all be drowned by now lol  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sorry I've got a strange sense of humour. :-[

Nikki  is there any possibilty Your Brother could deliver the cats to Sarah before the weekend ?

it would save your Brother a lot of unecessary travel to Sheffield and back twice  and save the cats  going into two strange environments in as many days. Plus there is less chance they will pick up something nasty at Sheffield which would put Sarah's cat at risk possibly. If you let me know how much the petrol cost I'll send you the money.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 16:07:35 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline bertie

• Kitten
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2006, 15:37:21 PM »
Yeah! Its' all shaping up nicely.

You can call me Sarah.

I think I have e mailed all my details to Nikki, including mobile number.

Offline Niki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2006, 15:32:11 PM »
I've been in contact with Sheffield Cat Shelter informing them of the postion, someone is ringing me this Wednesday to let me know if there will be a space for them this weeken, as this is obviously now an urgent situation.

To Bertie's mum Teddy & Minky were vaccinated as kittens incl leukaemia, they didn't have it but a kitten that was taken to the house died & leukaemia couldn't be ruled out which is why they were then vaccinated, this was approx 10 years ago. 
As for recent worming & fleaing - i doubt it.  The vet didn't worm/flea them but there were no signs of fleas on them & neither myself nor my brother have seen any evidence of worms in their faeces, not that i'm saying they don't have them.

Niki

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2006, 13:24:00 PM »

I would welcome a homecheck, have no skeletons in my closet, just vomit inducing wall paper in the hallway.

sorry that has to be the worst misdemeanor there is lol    vomit inducing wallpaper is a serious offence  :sick: :sick: :sick:

but I guess we can make an allowance in this instance  :)

There we are then we just need Ela to email the form to Nikki.   
Berti's Mum to PM her name and address to Ela and Nikki and me
Nikki to arrange with her Brother and his girlfriend when he would be able to pick the cats up and deliver to B's Mum ( shades for the wallpaper)
Nikki to call Bertie's Mum to co-ordinate the delivery /homecheck and Bob's your Father's Brother ! :hug:

Bertie's Mum could we please please have a christian name ... if only to save my typing finger which is now a stump lol.
When you have the cats Let me have your details privately so that I can send you some money every week.
Ahhhhhhh a happy ending  :)

Offline bertie

• Kitten
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2006, 12:47:01 PM »
Just to let you know....want be able to check this again till about 5.30.

Thanks for your patience

Offline bertie

• Kitten
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2006, 12:30:45 PM »
Hiya...sorry i'm wrting this while kids in my class are quietly working so please excuse poor grammer.

I would welcome a homecheck, have no skeletons in my closet, just vomit inducing wall paper in the hallway.

My only concern is my existing cat, I would like confirmation that Teddy and Minky are vaccinated as I will be working full time till mid/late december I can not guarantee complete segragation as my cat Bob has worked out how to open doors. My husband works from home so can keep an eye but i wouldn't want him to have that resposibilty as he is meant to be 'working'.

I was registered on Catchat, have to say i was more of an observer than a chatter, my house is super cat friendly, have feliway everywhere, scratching posts, litter trays and a very neglected hubby!!!  I have only very recently moved to SHeffield so am still finding my feet but really want to get involved with local cat charities.

Anyway, sorry to waffle..hope my info helps..ahhh lunch bell...bye

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2006, 12:21:14 PM »
I was just echoing this as a precaution, as posted on CC not long ago:
http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/17/61527.html?1163539465

Im not disrespecting Berties professional mother in anyway.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2006, 12:15:12 PM »
I think if Bertie was on CC then we need to get old screen name and if  not at the very least cats should be delivered, so house and person is checked out.......sorry no offence but this is a very sensitive subject with me, for reasons I cant go into.

I know everyone is trying their hardest for these too but we must also be careful.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2006, 11:35:37 AM »
I agree its important that everyone fostering should be subject to some basic checks so that we are all sure the cats interests are covered but to be honest these cats are under a constant imminant threat of being put to sleep!. We are already ndebted to Nikki's Brother for all the time and expense he has invested in the welfare of the cats

I am sure Ela and other rehomers can advise on this but at the end of the day with all the checks in the world everything has to be on trust anyway. Berti's Mum is a Teacher (professional person) and as such I feel should be given the respect and trust that such a position in the community should have.

May I suggest that Bertie's Mum gives either Ela or me her Name and Address and contact number which will be needed anyway for arranging delivery and collection again in Jan  and lets be thankful they are being rescued.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2006, 11:19:51 AM »
Was Bertie on CC and what was name there?

Does anyone know about this? I would worry about leaving them with a complete stranger (no offence Bertie)? ? 8)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2006, 10:13:37 AM »
I can send you the official  CP acceptance form if you e-mail me your address.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2006, 09:34:02 AM »
Hi Ela  I don't know if they have been wormed and jabbed but they have been checked by a vet recently ,see Nikki's post above

I know you have to be careful but they did have a full health-check on 3rd November. Hearts, eyes, teeth,ears & temps all checked & all normal. No signs of fleas infact the vet said they were in excellent health for their ages.

Do you have a draft of a standard signing over letter we could use ?  Hopefully as you say we will be able to find them a home berfore Christmas but in the event you may be taking them in Jan would it be best if  the cats were signed over to you ? if you have something perhaps yu could email it to Nikki or myself.

As regards diet its 2 months off yet so they may well have a change of diet in the mean time with bertie's mum If you have some worming tablets I'll pay for them to be treated . I don't believe they have had any jabs but presumably the Vet was happy with them when he saw them

Thank you for offering to give them a home Ela. Its a huge relief to everyone . Hopefully they will be homed by the time you get back off holiday but if not we will all try to help find them a good home.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:41:01 AM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2006, 09:10:13 AM »
I think you have just about sum ed (don't think I can spell that) that up and you are quite right about signing over. also as previously advised If I am eventually to have them I need info about diet, injections last flead and wormed etc. Also as previously advised. If you or someone else just sorts it and ring me on 4th. Thank you

Again as previously advised hopefully these little ones will find a new home before Christmas. I live in hope.

We are taking in a FIV cat from Sheffield this week.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2006, 08:26:59 AM »
Ok this is the situation as I understand it. I hope that Nikki will for give me making all this public but it would seem the best and quickest way forward

The cats are in Arnley Leeds just off the M1

Nikki and her Brother live in Leeds

Nikki's Brother (who feeds the cats) works in Wakefield

Nikki's Bros doesn't drive but his gf does (She works in Manchester but presumably lives also in Leeds)

The cat's owner lives in Sheffield

Bertie also lives in Sheffield  (just off the M1)

The distance between Bertie's Mums house and where the cats are in Armley would appear to be about 45 miles mostly along the M1 looking at google maps http://maps.google.co.uk/maps

Nikki's Brother and gf are willing to deliver Teddy and Minky to Berti's Mum (presumably Sheffield would not be too far ?)

Alternatively Berties Mum may be able to collect them  from Armley Leeds ? Berties Mum ? could you collect if Nikki's Brother couldn't deliver ?

I think its important at some stage to get the written consent from the owner to hand over his cats to someone, preferably Ela yes?!  but first lets ensure the cats are safe and out of that house.

Offline Niki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2006, 01:21:49 AM »
I think we all need to get things in motion tomorrow as I am worried that the family might just make a snap decision to take the cats to the vets to pts .

If Bertie's Mum can confirm that she can take the cats right away I suggest we make arrangements to collect them asap and transport them to B's Mum's house . Nikki's Brother who has been looking after them has offered to drive them . We just need to know what distance is involved. I've pm'd Nikki to ask where the cats are and also bertie's mum .

Could we all put our heads together on this and construct a list of all the things that the cats are going to need so we can maybe help supply B's Mum with the necessary things .

Bertie's Mum could you confirm exactly how soon you would be able to accept Teddy and Minky in case we need to arrange tempoary accommodation in a local cattery.

Lastly I would recommend that Nikki's Brother requests that the cats owner signs something to say he relinquishes the cats into Nikki's bros care . Anyone have a standard letter template ?

He'll do that,  it's just getting it as we're in Leeds & he's in Sheffield, we could post it but i'm loathe to do that as it could "get lost in the post."

If it means seeing him in person i'll have to check with my brother & see if he could visit him in Sheffield but that would more than likely be the weekend as my bro works full-time. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:31:18 AM by Niki »

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2006, 00:59:18 AM »
I think we all need to get things in motion tomorrow as I am worried that the family might just make a snap decision to take the cats to the vets to pts .

If Bertie's Mum can confirm that she can take the cats right away I suggest we make arrangements to collect them asap and transport them to B's Mum's house . Nikki's Brother who has been looking after them has offered to drive them . We just need to know what distance is involved. I've pm'd Nikki to ask where the cats are and also bertie's mum .

Could we all put our heads together on this and construct a list of all the things that the cats are going to need so we can maybe help supply B's Mum with the necessary things .

Bertie's Mum could you confirm exactly how soon you would be able to accept Teddy and Minky in case we need to arrange tempoary accommodation in a local cattery.

Lastly I would recommend that Nikki's Brother requests that the cats owner signs something to say he relinquishes the cats into Nikki's bros care . Anyone have a standard letter template ?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2006, 22:34:31 PM »
me too

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2006, 22:29:20 PM »
I do hope this works out, I can't stop worrying about these two.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2006, 21:10:54 PM »
Was Bertie on CC and what was name there?

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2006, 21:08:13 PM »
well everything seems set.

How are the cats going to get from where they are now to Bertie's Mum's home ? I'll pay for the petrol if someone can volunteer.

Offline Niki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2006, 19:48:24 PM »
It would be best if they are kept apart, I don't wish to be unkind but you don't know what they may be carrying. When we used to mix cats from different situations we always used to keep them apart for at least 3 weeks. Before you take them into your home I would ensure they have been treated with Frontline or something.

I know you have to be careful but they did have a full health-check on 3rd November. Hearts, eyes, teeth,ears & temps all checked & all normal. No signs of fleas infact the vet said they were in excellent health for their ages.

The only thing i have to say is, for their own good, it would be better to keep them separate. They have always been housecats & have not been in contact with many people in their lives let alone another animal, i'm not sure they've ever seen another cat before & they would be in a strange environment & very frightened. They'd probably be the same as when they went to the vets, hissing furballs which is the total opposite to their natural characters.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 19:56:45 PM by Niki »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2006, 19:01:49 PM »
Bertie if you can sort if and ring me on Jan 4th it would be wonderful, my phone number is on my web site.

Off course you never jnow the little ones may find a home before then with any luck.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2006, 18:53:04 PM »
well done Bertie you're a star. :innocent:

I'll pay for their food if you can take them till jan if it will help a bit . I would take them myself but my two are outdoor cats and its a hell of a journey down here to Somerset.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2006, 18:43:59 PM »
It would be best if they are kept apart, I don't wish to be unkind but you don't know what they may be carrying. When we used to mix cats from different situations we always used to keep them apart for at least 3 weeks. Before you take them into your home I would ensure they have been treated with Frontline or something.

Offline bertie

• Kitten
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 18:22:09 PM »
i'd happily take them till the 4th Jan, no probs. I'm a teacher and will be on school hols then so they won't be left alone. Do you think they'd be ok with my liitle boy Bob? (He is just over a year, castrated, an indoor cat and due his booster vaccination on the 30th of Jan)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 23:59:28 PM »
usual reply i got from the few that did start to take their details was a sharp intake of breath when i mentioned their ages, then they said i should've lied & that i had no chance of rehoming 2 cats of that age & especially with them being house cats!

Absolute tosh

Offline Niki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 23:36:15 PM »
Forgot to say, i contacted Wizz & they're now on her homepage :)
Thanks ela

Offline Niki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 23:31:17 PM »
Out of the 40 i rang i only managed to get them on 1 waiting list at Sheffield Cat Shelter, everyone else i rang was either full or closing or only took feral cats

That is a disgrace, even if you are full you should never close your list of cats waiting to come in, otherwise it gives folks no hope.

The usual reply i got from the few that did start to take their details was a sharp intake of breath when i mentioned their ages, then they said i should've lied & that i had no chance of rehoming 2 cats of that age & especially with them being house cats!

Link to CatChat